Food Affecting Blood Sugar/What's A Hypo

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed as type 2 diabetic on 29th Dec last year. Been dieting and lost a little weight (2st 3lb) since Sept last year, and there's a LOT I don't understand.
Like, what's a hypo?
Why can some people test their blood sugar and some don't even get any information about it? Should I be testing?
How can I know if what I'm eating is okay for me or if it's sending my blood sugar soaring?
I understand that some foods/carbohydrates can affect some people differently, being okay for some but sending some diabetics blood glucose level soaring up. I don't know what effect the things I'm eating is having on me.
Are there symptoms I should look out for?

Everything is quite worrying.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed as type 2 diabetic on 29th Dec last year. Been dieting and lost a little weight (2st 3lb) since Sept last year, and there's a LOT I don't understand.
Like, what's a hypo?
Why can some people test their blood sugar and some don't even get any information about it? Should I be testing?
How can I know if what I'm eating is okay for me or if it's sending my blood sugar soaring?
I understand that some foods/carbohydrates can affect some people differently, being okay for some but sending some diabetics blood glucose level soaring up. I don't know what effect the things I'm eating is having on me.

@FranOnTheEdge
A hypo is when your Blood Glucose level falls below 4.0, thedizzy feeling can be dangerous if you are driving,operating machinery etc and at extreme cases can cause loss of conciousness.
As well as true hypos, you can have "false hypos" where although your BG doesn't fall below 4.0, the drop is enough for your body to think you are having a hypo.
AS for blood testing, I feel that every diabetic should be provided with enough testing supplies to be able to learn to control their diabetes, especially when trying to find a suitable diet.
Iknw that the NHS does not have bottomless pockets but to say that T2s on diet & exercise do not need to test, misses the opportunity to improve control and reduce costs from complications in the long term. this testing needs to be combined with good structured education such as Xpert Diabetes.
So I wuld suggest that you pressure your GP to provide some strips to learn which foods affect you, and for some structured education.
If the refuse, thn I would suggest "codefree" strips which work out cheaper in the long term than a lot of other strips. http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, first of all the best thing you've done is found this forum.

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.
Please read it through and see what information you can get from that.

Then read the low carb forum, there are great food ideas and recipes.

Then have have a read of the success stories.

Ok what is a hypo?
Well its a blood glucose reading of Under 3.5 mmols. Have you got a monitor to test and record your readings in a food diary? Normal readings are between 3.5 - 6.0 mmols. Above that on a fasting hba1c test would deem you as prediabetic. Above 8(ish) is diabetic I think! Others on here will tell you!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Fran
Keep an eye on your other post where I have asked Daisy to give you her intro to Type 2.
Are you taking any medication for your type 2 ? If not you are unlikely to get a hypo as its when your blood sugar goes very low.
The people here who test their blood sugar (me included) have usually bought their own meter. Like most here I got the SD Codefree because the testing strips are reasonably priced. You could maybe ask your doctor or diabetes nurse if they will prescribe one for you, but don't be surprised if they tell you no. A lot of us have found that the only reliable way to see how foods have an effect on us is to test regularly (usually 2 hours after starting a meal) to see which foods cause a spike and then avoiding them. There is a lot of info here in the forums so have a long read then come back with any question you may have.
All the best and don't worry too much we have all been there too.
Regards
Mark

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking
Like, what's a hypo?

folk on this forum know a lot but main thing is do you do insulin ??tablets ??diet ??your dr not give you test strip if you diet ??or tablets ?cos surgery look after you if you are on insulin should have go on course and have reg test strips to see you ok ??there are brilliant recipe on this site and full book to load down af foods to eat will steer you threw the maze and have word with dr tell them you on this site .my surgery told me best site be on good luck revive@2

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All T2D should spend the first couple of months regularly testing their pre/post meal glucose levels to have a good understanding of how carbs/fats impact their glucose level. Then reduce the level of carbs intake to match your target level of activity and eventually to normalize your HbA1c to <= 5.5%. Yes normalizing it is possible within 12-24 weeks on carbs reduction.

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@FranOnTheEdge

Hello Fran :) I have replied to you on your other thread. I enclosed the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. The link to this information is also in my signature.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sarahloobylou that is perfectly natural and most of us go thru that. But you have found a great forum to get helpful info. Besides the obvious sweet and sugary stuff, start to reduce all carbs. Gradually you may decide to add them back to your diet as your glucose level improves. Dark chocolates above 70% are usually quite safe :)

This is off-topic, I appreciate, but kokhongw, you appear to have a LOT of HbA1c tests done. Are these all lab tests, or something else?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is off-topic, I appreciate, but kokhongw, you appear to have a LOT of HbA1c tests done. Are these all lab tests, or something else?

These were done at the local diabetic center for <$20 each time :)
I took them monthly to monitor my LCHF progress

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@FranOnTheEdge - Hello and Welcome:). As others have already said - You need to take control, and test before you eat and then test 2 hours after. By building up a food and blood sugar diary you will be able to see which foods give you spikes (highs). Any questions you may have? Just ask, everyone is so helpful and supportive on this forum, someone will give you an answer.:)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As stated above get a meter and start testing as it is an essential tool in getting your diet sorted and your diabetes under control.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FranOnTheEdge
A hypo is when your Blood Glucose level falls below 4.0, thedizzy feeling can be dangerous if you are driving,operating machinery etc and at extreme cases can cause loss of conciousness.
As well as true hypos, you can have "false hypos" where although your BG doesn't fall below 4.0, the drop is enough for your body to think you are having a hypo.
AS for blood testing, I feel that every diabetic should be provided with enough testing supplies to be able to learn to control their diabetes, especially when trying to find a suitable diet.
Iknw that the NHS does not have bottomless pockets but to say that T2s on diet & exercise do not need to test, misses the opportunity to improve control and reduce costs from complications in the long term. this testing needs to be combined with good structured education such as Xpert Diabetes.
So I wuld suggest that you pressure your GP to provide some strips to learn which foods affect you, and for some structured education.
If the refuse, thn I would suggest "codefree" strips which work out cheaper in the long term than a lot of other strips. http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/
Thanks for all that, I will ask the Doc, next time I see one.
I'm booked to go on a 'Desmond'.
I'll look out for dizzy spells - I thought that was an inner ear problem. No one said.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, first of all the best thing you've done is found this forum.

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.
Please read it through and see what information you can get from that.

Then read the low carb forum, there are great food ideas and recipes.

Then have have a read of the success stories.

Ok what is a hypo?
Well its a blood glucose reading of Under 3.5 mmols. Have you got a monitor to test and record your readings in a food diary? Normal readings are between 3.5 - 6.0 mmols. Above that on a fasting hba1c test would deem you as prediabetic. Above 8(ish) is diabetic I think! Others on here will tell you!
No, no monitor. Didn't know I needed one, but very bewildered as to what's good for me and what isn't, so I guess the real answer to that is, yes, I DO need one.
I am writing up a food diary though, often with pics of food. I find that helps me, and if I ever find out what's good for me and what's not, then it may help even more.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Fran
Keep an eye on your other post where I have asked Daisy to give you her intro to Type 2.
Are you taking any medication for your type 2 ? If not you are unlikely to get a hypo as its when your blood sugar goes very low.
The people here who test their blood sugar (me included) have usually bought their own meter. Like most here I got the SD Codefree because the testing strips are reasonably priced. You could maybe ask your doctor or diabetes nurse if they will prescribe one for you, but don't be surprised if they tell you no. A lot of us have found that the only reliable way to see how foods have an effect on us is to test regularly (usually 2 hours after starting a meal) to see which foods cause a spike and then avoiding them. There is a lot of info here in the forums so have a long read then come back with any question you may have.
All the best and don't worry too much we have all been there too.
Regards
Mark
Um... maybe if I cry at them and explain how worried and confused I am about what's good food and what isn't?
But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they refuse me everything, I was told to ask about SW as some will prescribe a 12 week course for you to find out if it will suit you - but not my surgery. My daughter who isn't diabetic and isn't anything like as overweight as I am, is also trying for this, they seem to be taking her quite seriously, arranging a telephone interview and stuff like that, but no news yet.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
folk on this forum know a lot but main thing is do you do insulin ??tablets ??diet ??your dr not give you test strip if you diet ??or tablets ?cos surgery look after you if you are on insulin should have go on course and have reg test strips to see you ok ??there are brilliant recipe on this site and full book to load down af foods to eat will steer you threw the maze and have word with dr tell them you on this site .my surgery told me best site be on good luck revive@2
I'm on Metformin controlled release tablets, and I've lost 2st 3lb 12 oz since September last year. No insulin... yet.

Reactions: 3 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All T2D should spend the first couple of months regularly testing their pre/post meal glucose levels to have a good understanding of how carbs/fats impact their glucose level. Then reduce the level of carbs intake to match your target level of activity and eventually to normalize your HbA1c to <= 5.5%. Yes normalizing it is possible within 12-24 weeks on carbs reduction.
First couple of months? It's a bit late for that.
I have no understanding of what each food does to me, and unless I somehow find a meter/ from docs/ or myself buying one - I won't have. Seems like a daft way to go about things - not offering meters I mean.
Normalizing? Enough to be able to stop the damned pills? That would be nice.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FranOnTheEdge

Hello Fran :) I have replied to you on your other thread. I enclosed the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. The link to this information is also in my signature.
Thanks Daisy1.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FranOnTheEdge - Hello and Welcome:). As others have already said - You need to take control, and test before you eat and then test 2 hours after. By building up a food and blood sugar diary you will be able to see which foods give you spikes (highs). Any questions you may have? Just ask, everyone is so helpful and supportive on this forum, someone will give you an answer.:)
Thanks Liam1955.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As stated above get a meter and start testing as it is an essential tool in getting your diet sorted and your diabetes under control.
Yes, so many have said this that I think I'm getting the message now. It's just the how.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, so many have said this that I think I'm getting the message now. It's just the how.

Buy a meter and the "how" will soon be answered. Your meter will tell you what you can eat and what you should avoid. When you get one we can help you use it to the best advantage.

Reactions: 5 people