diabulimia

going mad

hi all, i need some help, ive been type 1 for 20 years, am on lantus and humalog. i have stuggled with my diabetes for many years and have had several stays in hospital with dka, i also suffer from severe depression :( i was reading an article yesterday in balance magazine about diabulimia, as i was reading it felt like i was reading about my own life, i constantly skip my insulin injections, i know all of the risks but that oesnt bother me, am i normal for feeling like this and what do you suggest i do? i find it difficult to speak to my mum or my dsn and dont know who else to turn to. :cry:

howie

hey there,

there's loadsa help on here, i think 'diabulimia' can be quite common amongst female DB's from what i've read. i'm sure someone will be along soon to help ya with some advice.

think about talking to friends? they can be more understanding than fam or professionals.

all best,
howie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
As Howie says, lots of women and some men with diabetes do this at some time As you know it is extremely dangerous. realising you might have a problem and wanting to do something about it is a great.
There is help out there, but because some professionals don't know as much about it as they should, it can be hard to find.
Contact Diabetes UK care line.
Telephone: 0845 120 2960, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
or by E mail
Diabetes UK Careline: ][email protected]
Diabetes UK Careline Scotland: [email protected]

There is also BEAT, a charity for people with eating disorders but they know about diabulimia . They provide a listening ear and are another good source of advice
Helpline
08456 341414
[email protected]
Monday to Friday 10:30am - 8:30pm
Saturdays 1:00pm - 4:30pm
Sunday ~ Closed
Bank Holidays 11:30am - 2:30pm

There are some sites the internet written by people who have recovered from diabulimia and have a lot of personal experience to offer, though take care, there are some less than helpful sites.
Here is one written by a young woman from the UK.
The page I've linked to may help you sort out some good reasons for regaining your diabetes control. http://diabulimiasos.weebly.com/eating-disorder-vs-no-ed.html

When you want to talk, come back on here. I would stick to the type 1 section as there are more young people who post in this area and they have more understanding of the problems of having type 1 and being young. ( I'm a Granny even if I rarely admit it)

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you spoken to your doctor about the depression? I brought it up with my diabetes consultant and he explained how depression isn't just fixed by 'pulling yourself together' like a lot of people think. It can be to do with chemical imbalances in the brain and hence may need something other than positive thinking.

Your doctor really should be the first person to help you with that side of things.

Sam.

glitterzoe

Hi, I have been diabetic for 30 years and have suffered like you, I have bouts of depresion ( and I am also on humalog and lantis) and went through a stage where I didnt do my injections at all (this weas not a good thing I know this now). What some people dont seam to understand is that it feels like you dont have control of your life (I know this sounds strange to anyone reading it) you are constantly at the beck and call of your insulin and sometime you do forget (during stressfull times) I promice you it will get better but its not going to happen overnight. Lots of people think that you are being selfish and yes to a point we are but, its hard to expalin to those who arnt diabetic and who arnt type 1 (no disrespect to type 2's). Take every day as it comes and try to remember to take your insulin (my own experience I found that takeing my long acting helped a lot more than taking my fast acting but this is NOT A FIX) I am not suggesting that everything will be fine if you just take your long acting, but as silly as this sounds taking some insulin is better than takning non at all. I hope you dont feel so alone and keep reading and wrighting on this if it gets to difficult. All the best

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
you poor thing. If it helps, I bet there are lots of Type 1's on here who have been where you are! it can be a daily grind at times, I think most would agree (1's and 2's!). It might help to look forwards and consider the implications of skipping injections? And other 'posters' on here are right, try and get some help from your Doc if your family and/or DN can't help. I understand how you feel, sometimes you just want someone to listen, rather than advise?! You'll find lots of that on here I hope :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
GM
look on the diabetes UK website, there is most likely a support group to suit you
Hana

meela83

I have also been there, thought that the weight loss that came with not doing the injections that I hated was great, until I realised I looked a bit like an unstuffed scarecrow! I don't have any solutions for you but I got scared when I was told my HbA1c was 14.6 and wanted to start a family. You need to ask for help, there are some wonderful people out there who know what they are talking about. Could you perhaps talk to your consultant about going on a course like DAFNE (it is great to share experiences with other diabetics in the flesh) or pump therapy so you wouldn't have to inject. I hope you get things sorted out and feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

going mad

thanks all for your advice,i have sent a rather lengthy e-mail to my dsn and also sent it to my consultant explaining how i am feeling and that i need help. i will let you know what happens in due course. :)