SlyFox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Food
Link
Have you posted a link? Sorry, can't see one.

I do indeed have short pinkies. Short legs too.
I think that is better than many people I have known who have short arms but long pockets! ;)

There are two links in the original post under 'here' both from medical references one for the study, another from xray sources to show what I mean. I may post a photo of my own hands once figure out how to get them on this site.

My apologies for it not being obvious. I only see what I see on my workstation and it was clear.

My first real indication something was wrong with me sort of thing was why I couldn't form the chords on a guitar when I bought one to finally make the jump from drummer to musician. Only other muso's will get that joke I think. It became clear to me I was deformed in some subtle way. I just cant reach the strings other people can because my pinkie is too **** short. The double entre's are just queuing up behind me. but this is a serious, if hilarious, point. There is are physically observable aspects to clinical diabetes risk.

There is mounting evidence, via this research, for this factor as a root cause for diabetes and pointing a finger back at a genetic inheritance. Not that it should be an excuse for the 'oh well then' syndrome of 'I can't do anything about it' faction.

Its a reason not an excuse and I hope that its wider knowledge will one day lead to more knowledge and then better treatment and then a cure. By that Time I will be dead but that don't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look and the x-ray link. the pinkie ends about or below the last joint of the 4th metacarpal. It should end half way between there and the tip of the 4th metacarpal to be 'normal'

Its why I have never been able to play guitar well. Which is why I became a drummer, which is far better for a grump diabetic to be anyway.
my pinkie ends just past the last joint of the 4th metacarpal...

Ironically though, my grip is genetically evolved to comfortably grip a Novopen..!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't stand a chance then. My pinkies end well below the 4th metacarpal. My inside leg measurement is 25". I've always said that I am too short for my weight. I've lost over 2 stone but I'm not getting taller.