Levemir...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Just enquiring does everyone on levemir have to have a split dose....say if you're only on like 6 units background would that HAVE to be split or not? ?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just enquiring does everyone on levemir have to have a split dose....say if you're only on like 6 units background would that HAVE to be split or not? ?
Split is recommended under the NICE and DAFNE guidance as the results of working with it like this have been demonstrated to be better.

You don't have to, but it's likely to result in a better level of optimisation, based on the evidence available.

D

Deleted member 83869

Split is recommended under the NICE and DAFNE guidance as the results of working with it like this have been demonstrated to be better.

You don't have to, but it's likely to result in a better level of optimisation, based on the evidence available.
Ah yes I remember now it can be done but is not licenced to be a one dose!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on a split dose since I started on Levemir, I believe that it's profile is meant to start dropping off after around 10-12 hours hence why it tends to be used split.

How that would work at lower doses I couldn't comment. I would suggest it is best to discuss this with your DSN. Make sure you keep some good records since you should be able to see if you are actually running out and therefore need to split.

D

Deleted member 83869

Aren't you using the 640G now Nicola?
Yeah I am! I wasn't enquiring for me! Just my newly diagnosed friend is having problems she hasn't had her lantus in other a month because she hates taking it because it stings, but she is only taking 6 units of lantus....well when she takes it! But when I was on levemir I was on 32 and 34 so couldn't really comment!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oh yeah I remember the lantus sting

steveBN1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'Been on Lantus for years now (T1). It stings now 'n then but mostly it's fine. On 7 units twice per day (dose stacking). I'm dose stacking now as Lantus doesn't give me the full 24 hr coverage and I was getting late morning hypos on a pre breakfast single shot. But Levemir is definitely a twice per day insulin, which I tried, too and it was pretty good for basal BG control.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I either do a split 3&3, or 4&4. Depending on what my other conditions are doing. They are split 12 hours apart. 0.900, and 21.00.