Life Insurance.

Did you succesfully get life insurance AFTER type 1 diagnosis?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kandiekane87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to all, I have recently tried unsuccessfully to get life insurance. Tried Zurich and Smart life insurance. Zurich contacted my doctor before telling me the wouldn't be able to offer me anything 'at this time' I answered all their questions truthfully on the application before contacting my doctor so don't understand why they took the time to contact my g.p if they already knew I wasn't eligible. Smart life insurance asked me health and life style questions but stopped immediately when I said I was type 1 diabetic and said they wouldn't be able to offer me anything.
I am 28, 8 st 1lb, 5ft3in, non smoker, asthmatic, hba1c 5.0. Haven't been hospitalised with complications since I was 18yrs old.
Basically my question to forum members is: is it possible to get life insurance if you have been ty 1 diabetic for over 26 years and if so who do I contact?
Thanks.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
partly depends on what type of life insurance -- whole life , term insurance for a mortgage , holiday insurance ??.

I have never been refused insurance point blank
but premiums have been loaded sometimes

kandiekane87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
partly depends on what type of life insurance -- whole life , term insurance for a mortgage , holiday insurance ??.

I have never been refused insurance point blank
but premiums have been loaded sometimes
To be honest it any sort of life(payment upon death) insurance. I'm getting to the age that I know I won't live forever but I want my family taken care of if anything does happen.

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Try nationwide, i have had never had an issue, they also give you free European travel cover if you bank with them. I'm mid thirties with type1.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello to all, I have recently tried unsuccessfully to get life insurance. Tried Zurich and Smart life insurance. Zurich contacted my doctor before telling me the wouldn't be able to offer me anything 'at this time' I answered all their questions truthfully on the application before contacting my doctor so don't understand why they took the time to contact my g.p if they already knew I wasn't eligible. Smart life insurance asked me health and life style questions but stopped immediately when I said I was type 1 diabetic and said they wouldn't be able to offer me anything.
I am 28, 8 st 1lb, 5ft3in, non smoker, asthmatic, hba1c 5.0. Haven't been hospitalised with complications since I was 18yrs old.
Basically my question to forum members is: is it possible to get life insurance if you have been ty 1 diabetic for over 26 years and if so who do I contact?
Thanks.

I speak as someone who has done extensive work in Life Companies, alongside actuaries, underwriters, pricing analysts and so on, so I have experience of the sorts of decision making process that takes place in these places. I am not a financial advisor, and have no axe to grind one way or another.

The tough reality is that diabetes is a condition that, over time, if not controlled too well, or if the individual gets unlucky, can lead to all manner of nasty complications; but you know that already I'm sure and your HbZ1c score seems to suggest you have a decent handle on things for now.

Without a wider understanding of both your individual conditions - including your asthma, and the sort of cover you were looking for nobody can make any meaningful value judgement.

I would suggest that for anyone with a longstanding condition, who wants almost any form of insurance, it is worthwhile speaking with an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA), rather than choosing a company to approach, or using your Bank. I'm not on any downer on Banks, but they usually have a direct relationship with either one or a small number of life houses, so limiting your options.

Using an IFA should give you greater exposure to the market, and potentially securing you cover. Of course, there are no guarantees.

There are many threads discussing this and other types of insurance on the boards, so if you could do a search you might gets some further tips.

Good luck with it all.