Advice on which pump?

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has to make a decision on a pump, what are your general thoughts on the combo v insight?
Any advice gratefully received thank you

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
From all the comments made which are not that complimentary about the insight if I had the misfortune to have to choose between either then it would be the combo.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Insight and hated it so much I gave it back. I've never used the Combo, but it has a better track record and a longer one, in my opinion, so if I had to choose between those two I'd go with the Combo.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no experience of the Combo and have used the Insight (my first pump) only since October.

I'm very, very happy with it. I love that I don't have to fiddle with the pump itself and can control everything from the handset. My pump is tucked away out of the way, and every time I need to 'do' anything I use the handset - which is the blood glucose monitor as well, and looks not very different to a mobile phone - touch screen and everything.

Downsides - the handset does take a while to do its thing - so after testing, for instance, you input your carbs and it does the calculations for you based on your own ratios which it's been programmed with when you do your pump start, and it does take a few moments to go through the stages. That's the only complaint I've got, really, and it's not even really a complaint - it's just that for instance it's a little bit slower than my phone (and I'm very impatient as a rule anyway).

As I say, I'm very pleased with my Insight. Wouldn't swap it.

Hope this helps!

:)

Edited to say - @azure you and I were posting simultaneously - it all shows how very different we all are - LOL!

Reactions: 2 people

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use a combo, don't get dazzled by flashing lights, the combo is quick, easy and very very reliable. I love it. To be honest my combo is due for change later this year and I would have the combo over the insight any day. My consultant has an insight and it takes ages to do anything

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm currently wearing my 5 year old combo.
not a mark on it. never failed or broken.
nurse is working on getting me a new one and has advised me to avoid the insight because of the handset, consultant has also said the same.

moodwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my combo I've had it for 4 years and it's helped improve my control. I'm trying to find out about other pumps so that when the time to change it comes I'll be reasonably informed. Unfortunately the NICE Guidelines only deal with a specific Minimed model so they're not particularly useful.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
on the Insight since December and not had a problem with it