consultant's busy ;)

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
So I rang to see when my consultant appointment was yesterday,due to not having seen him in just over half a year and am also due my 3 month appointment to get hba1c done which I've been told I'll have to go to my local nurse at the GP's surgery to have done!

I was diagnosed type 1 july of last year was on insulin for about a month up until my diabetic nurse told me to come off due to having hypo's on so little insulin,was only taking a couple of units of solarstar,no fast acting at all.Also had GAD test done and all came back negative.

I received a letter today stating my appointment is late next Month!! though I was due to see him February,feel a little disappointed it been so far away tbh. So anyways looking forward to my hbalc test,which is on the 14th my last was 5.7,I'd be happy with something around that mark this time around.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's standard form to have blood tests done at the surgery, I shouldnt get too down about the timing, that's life, just aim to have a positive appointment and make sure you ask all the questions you need to, good luck ;)

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I rang to see when my consultant appointment was yesterday,due to not having seen him in just over half a year and am also due my 3 month appointment to get hba1c done which I've been told I'll have to go to my local nurse at the GP's surgery to have done!

I was diagnosed type 1 july of last year was on insulin for about a month up until my diabetic nurse told me to come off due to having hypo's on so little insulin,was only taking a couple of units of solarstar,no fast acting at all.Also had GAD test done and all came back negative.

I received a letter today stating my appointment is late next Month!! though I was due to see him February,feel a little disappointed it been so far away tbh. So anyways looking forward to my hbalc test,which is on the 14th my last was 5.7,I'd be happy with something around that mark this time around.:)
Hi
After reading Ur post I have few questions to ask...
My five year son is diagnosed type 1 almost a month ago,he started at 5 units of lantus but now reduced to just three units once a day.and his levels r very maintained on such a small dose. I want to ask if it possible for a typical type 1 to be adjusted on such a low dose? Sometimes I think that may be he was misdiagnosed!!
Thankyou

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @maryam123 I appreciate how you can feel that such low doses would make you question the diagnosis, I felt the same after I was diagnosed. However all type 1's experience a honeymoon phase, which if monitored can extend what life there is in the pancreas for around a year and possibly longer, it means only small doses need to be administered. However in time the doses will need to be increased as required. There is a half dose pen available with children in mind, to allow for minor adjustments.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on tiny doses when I was diagnosed at age 8. Not only is there the issue of a honeymoon phase but also the relatively small amounts he will be eating compared to most people discussing doses on here.

It really is amazing how much just a single unit can do though

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i haven't seen my consultant in ages, seeing him in may though >.<

but i got my tests done at drs on monday haha! good luck :]

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thinking positive, maybe you will get cancellation and they will bring it forwards a bit as that is what happened to me. Although after my first consultation I can't say I am in much of a hurry to have another one as I found it a waste of time. Anyway good luck with hba1c come the 14th.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Thinking positive, maybe you will get cancellation and they will bring it forwards a bit as that is what happened to me. Although after my first consultation I can't say I am in much of a hurry to have another one as I found it a waste of time. Anyway good luck with hba1c come the 14th.

ty bud