DAFNE course

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think type 1's would have a problem getting into this course though... this is post is type 2's trying to get into the course. As it turns out I have no hope where I live. :(
if you're on injections then ask them for a educational course for type 2 and injections :D

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think type 1's would have a problem getting into this course though... this is post is type 2's trying to get into the course. As it turns out I have no hope where I live. :(

Unfortunately, I think it is very difficult for anyone, regardless of type, to get on to structured diabetes education courses. My experience was there was over a 12 month wait to get on a course and the only reason I managed to get on one was by making a fuss (a reasonable fuss based upon clinical need) and getting a place out of area.

I agree, if you are on insulin, you would benefit from the course and therefore should at least go on the list for a course. Maybe it is worth enquiringly who funds the course (I suspect the CCG) and where the blanket ban on type twos attending in your area has come from. Then you can ask them whether there is any justifiable clinical reason for that decision. It might not help, but it might make someone actually address their mind to the question.

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
if you're on injections then ask them for a educational course for type 2 and injections :D

This is my email to them:
I’m just curious, I can see you offer the DAFNE course here although it says it is only for those with type 1 diabetes.

I’m type 2 and I’m on full time insulin therapy (apridra and lantus). I’m wondering if this course would be of benefit to me?

Are you flexible with allowing other insulin dependant diabetics to attend this course? I am on insulin for life now because my c-peptide test showed I produce insufficient insulin. I’ve been on insulin since beginning of 2010 and haven’t really had much training on how to manage on it.

If you have a separate course aimed at insulin dependant type 2’s, I would appreciate if you can let me know the details.

In anticipation of your reply.

This was their response:
Thank you for your email enquiry.

The DAFNE course is for people with type 1 diabetes only. Sorry but you won’t be able to attend that one.

We have general programs for people with type 2 diabetes – ‘DESMOND’ and ‘Living with Diabetes’. I’m sure you’d find these helpful but they are not specific for people on 4 x day insulin – so perhaps not what you are seeking.

I would suggest a series of individual appointments with a diabetes dietitian or diabetes nurse educator would be of most benefit to you.

Kind regards

So yes, they have courses for type 2's.... but it appears they're not courses for type 2's on insulin. :(

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is my email to them:
I’m just curious, I can see you offer the DAFNE course here although it says it is only for those with type 1 diabetes.

I’m type 2 and I’m on full time insulin therapy (apridra and lantus). I’m wondering if this course would be of benefit to me?

Are you flexible with allowing other insulin dependant diabetics to attend this course? I am on insulin for life now because my c-peptide test showed I produce insufficient insulin. I’ve been on insulin since beginning of 2010 and haven’t really had much training on how to manage on it.

If you have a separate course aimed at insulin dependant type 2’s, I would appreciate if you can let me know the details.

In anticipation of your reply.

This was their response:
Thank you for your email enquiry.

The DAFNE course is for people with type 1 diabetes only. Sorry but you won’t be able to attend that one.

We have general programs for people with type 2 diabetes – ‘DESMOND’ and ‘Living with Diabetes’. I’m sure you’d find these helpful but they are not specific for people on 4 x day insulin – so perhaps not what you are seeking.

I would suggest a series of individual appointments with a diabetes dietitian or diabetes nurse educator would be of most benefit to you.

Kind regards

So yes, they have courses for type 2's.... but it appears they're not courses for type 2's on insulin. :(
yeh i hered about the type 2 course :( ask them can they fit you onto dafne as you're fully on insulin and you think it benefit you.
if they say no at least you asked :3

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Few years ago I was 'prescribed' to attend DAFNE type course for type 1's ...even though I'm type 2 on insulin. And I wasn't only one there...there was several type 2's. I didn't find that the course info needed to tailored any differently to us than to those type 1's. Where the information was relevant to each type...nurse mentioned it and that's that...if anything it probably served both types well to have peek into each others lives.
It is sorry case if these courses cannot be emerged to both types as in the end, treatment wise there is not that much difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
yeh i hered about the type 2 course :( ask them can they fit you onto dafne as you're fully on insulin and you think it benefit you.
if they say no at least you asked :3

Thanks :) Although my email was pretty clear and their response to my email says they won't let me attend. Obviously they give no thought to insulin dependant type 2's. You'd think they'd say ok we should factor that in and consider allowing all insulin dependant people to attend the course... that would be common sense now wouldn't it. I do feel insulin dependant type 2's are left in the dark when it comes to education. My type 1 friend has been to the course and told me I should go, but then she also found out I can't go and thinks it's ridiculous. She also said to me my treatment is no different to her treatment. I can even go on a pump like she is on. I think they just view type 2's here as people on diet control and oral meds.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
I can't recall how it is funded, but when I attended DAFNE, a sales rep from one of the meter companies brought in a buffet lunch as it was of benefit to them to do so. I'm not sure if the pharma companies part fund it, but maybe ask if you can have a sponsored place from whoever makes your insulin or meter?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Starts on Monday for 5 days 9-5 lunch included being held in the hospital where I work

My GP and occ health dept referred me

Had my pre course appointment 2 weeks ago and was told that 8 people are in our group which is 6 type 1 and 2 type 2

For those insulin dependent type 2 hitting a brick wall with getting on a DAFNE course ask your GP, DSN or occ health (if you have one) to put a request in your behalf in writing

I mean I carb count and inject 2 X daily Humulin at 145 units per shot and up to 4 X daily of Novorapid with food usually 15-30 units dependent on what I eat

I am on a 5/10 carb ratio (5 units for each 10g of carbs

Reactions: 3 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Will keep updating on a daily basis next week

Reactions: 5 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
"DAFNE was developed for people with Type 1 diabetes and as such is not appropriate for people with Type 2 diabetes. There is no evidence that intensive insulin therapy is of benefit for people with Type 2 diabetes." http://www.dafne.uk.com/341.html
(just quoting!)
There is an Xpert insulin course in some areas for people with both T1 and T2 .http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/people-with-diabetes/x-pert-insulin (but just realised that you are Australia so sorry, not much help.)

The quote about the DAFNE course is obsolete really as plenty of type 2's that must be on insulin because they hardly have any of their own.... same boat as type 1's.

Yeh, my area I live doesn't offer any courses for insulin dependant type 2's. It is only offered by the one organisation, and I got their reply already.

I just think there's a bit of an educational black hole for insulin dependant type 2's.... maybe they think we don't exist. lol. But I've met so many of us online so they have the market there.... they charge $250 for the DAFNE course here.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I enquired with the association here that runs our DAFNE course and I get a response saying you must be type 1 only. I actually let them know I'm an insulin dependant type 2 and they acknowledged there is nothing for type 2's in my boat. So they suggested if I wanted to learn anything I have to book sessions with a dietitian and diabetes educator. The thing is I've already seen both of those multiple times and I've not been taught much beyond how you inject and do what your endo told you to do. I think it is disgraceful that type 2's at later stage get left out of things that could be helpful.
As soon as you go on to insulin you should be treated as a type 1

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As soon as you go on to insulin you should be treated as a type 1

They won't treat you as a type 1 though when you're not type 1. That's why I think these courses should be aimed at "insulin dependant" diabetics as opposed to a type. It's not just type 1's that need to be on insulin. There's types 1.5, 2, 3c also. I don't understand why they have to leave all the other types out of education about how to manage on insulin? All the other types also have no choice about whether or not they use insulin... we're all the same if we don't use insulin we're in trouble because we don't have our own insulin being produced to do the job. Yes, I understand some type 2's are put on insulin to get good control when they still have their own insulin, but there are a good number of us that don't produce insulin we need either, and we don't have the option to come off insulin. I know I get hot under the collar when I'm told well at least you can come off insulin when they hear I'm type 2... why? do you think my pancreas will miraculously heal itself? Amazing. (more like ignorance of how later stage type 2 is managed)

It seems to be though that the courses offered need to catch up with the times and the fact there are multiple types of diabetics that need the same education that was originally only given to type 1's. It is frustrating!

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on the area you live. I was insulin dependent type 2 until the beginning of Feb this year and I got offered alace on dafne. Unfortunately I couldn't attend as my Mrs was in hospital. As soon as I got put on to insulin I got the same treatment as a type 1. When I went back in the beginning of Feb I was rediagnosed as a type 1 LADA. And the diabetic centre I attend have been fantastic for the past 3 years

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on the area you live. I was insulin dependent type 2 until the beginning of Feb this year and I got offered alace on dafne. Unfortunately I couldn't attend as my Mrs was in hospital. As soon as I got put on to insulin I got the same treatment as a type 1. When I went back in the beginning of Feb I was rediagnosed as a type 1 LADA. And the diabetic centre I attend have been fantastic for the past 3 years

That's good you were able to get in to the course (sorry to hear you couldn't attend though) :) Here they will not allow anyone who isn't type 1 to attend.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Good luck Cumberland with your course I have been on the Desmond 1 day course.:)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow
I learned something important today I think all of us in the group did regarding basal injections

I like others had been told to inject twice daily 12 hours apart (I do mine 10am and 10pm) the educators told us to inject before bed and as soon as we get up in the morning ensuring there is a 7 hour gap so if I inject at 10pm I should inject again when I rise 6,7,8,9am and not wait till 10am

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow
I learned something important today I think all of us in the group did regarding basal injections

I like others had been told to inject twice daily 12 hours apart (I do mine 10am and 10pm) the educators told us to inject before bed and as soon as we get up in the morning ensuring there is a 7 hour gap so if I inject at 10pm I should inject again when I rise 6,7,8,9am and not wait till 10am
I was told by dn for endocrologist that my mixed insulin lasts 18 hours. So that would work out about right.
Keep us going with info @Cumberland thanks mate :)

Reactions: 4 people