Can anybody help me?

loneranger

Hi everybody,

Although i have been a member of Diabetes.co.uk for awhile this is the first time i have ever posted something, lol, turnaway now if you really dont want me to ruin ur good mood! The base of this post is i am in quite alot of trouble and i now do not know what to do. For my twenty first b.day i was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic, i went into hospital with a reading of 37.5, i'm told, and was on the verge of a coma.Needless to say i came round and recieved my b.day news that i was tp1 diabetic and had been through my teens which explains why my educational life was pretty horrific. I was put on insulin straight away. A few months went by and i was adjusting to my meds, then suddenly evrything started to fall apart, the meds stopped working. Every cold i got i had for four months, my work suffered and although quite shy already in certain aspects i stated to really become an introvert. Eventually i was put on novarapid and lantus. My sugars were all over the place. Work wise i was terminated nearly two years ago because i seemed to be ill everyday, needless to say this year i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and M.E and vitamin deficiences. My so called friends alienated me, i feel detached from my family and so far i have not had any good results for any of these problems. The other doctors said they would not treat me unless i got my diabetes under control but i am trying but the other stuff effects my diabetes, i am in a catch 22 situation. The other things are that my skin smells quite bad when i am given food that has certain stuff (i am now very food and drink sensitive/allergies) or medication that does not work, i have a hard time at explaining this and trying to make people understand, on occasions i have even been made the butt of jokes from the medical proffession while sick in hospital. The other thing is i am now under the care of two drs who did not believe how much trouble i was suffering years ago and called me a hypacondriac. I now get so angry and upset i cant focus on anything anymore, these people cost me my jobs and now i have to see them again because i am told they are the top in their profession? To make matters worse i dont feel like i can really talk to them politely as i have now a major issue with my behaviour, most of the time i am an angry horrible person with nothing nice to say about anything and my temper is off the charts. This in turn has caused my own mother wishing that i was a million miles away and when i was living with my father i was probably the bain of his life. I wish that evry night i fall to sleep that i dont wake up in the morning, i went from being somebody who could handle themselves to a useless fruitcake. I know i am depressed, yes of course but i've seen people get through that so why can't i? You know i'm not even meant to be on the p.c? The m.e consultant says no tv, no p.c no radio no books, i mean give me a break what am i meant to do? Sit and go quietly insane? Can anybody help, i know its a big ask, but i'm stuck indoors all day and well i'm obviously doing everything wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks x

The loneranger.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,
Sounds like you've got it pretty tough, and I feel for you. I can't really offer much advice, but you'll get lots of support on this forum - we've got a whole bunch of people with LOTS of experience and someone around here will be able to give you some useful advice.

Keep your head up - I hope you get the help you need.

Cheers,
-Pat.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi loneranger
you've got a load to deal with
I can only make suggestions for contolling the Diabetes. At the risk of being jumped on by other listers, I will suggest you might find the Bernstein doctrine of small numbers helpful.
That is you eat a very tightly controlled reduced carb diet and thus use small doses of insulin. Ask your local library to get Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution for you. They usually don't have it in.
the reason I suggest this is that you have developed sensitivities to other things and this approach minimises any treatments and keeps food quantities down
As a T1, I hope you have an adequate supply of test strips and a meter.
Try setting aside a week in which you stick to Bernstein principles closely and write everything down. Then take it all to your doctor and ask for more help and understanding. With a bit of luck, they will be so ashamed of their previous poor treatment and oyou'll get the support you need.
Also contact diabetes Uk on their website and look for what they offer to support young people. there is quite a lot
good Luck
Hana

loneranger

Thanks Pat n Hana for replying. I have a meter n strips etc but with everything else it hurts quite a bit to test all the time. But still it has to be done. Thank you for the support though Pat and Hana thank you too for the support and info on the book. I went online to see if i could get some info on Bernstein and if my mothers done being angry with me, fingers crossed, maybe she can pick the book up from the library for me. Once again, many thanks x.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Loneranger
I hope I can help you, your story sounds so familiar to mine and many others. I'm sending you a PM.
Jus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
i too suffer from many ailments, i have been diagnosed with m.e earlier this yr too and appreciate a lot of what u are saying,if i can be of any help plz let me know,
as for the not reading,p.c etc, it is all about grading your activities and im willing to discuss any of this with u further :D

rgarcha

hi loneranger,

Oh my god!!!!, you have the same problem as me, part from the m.e, you should read my post on type 1 forum, ' why doesnt my insulin work anymore'. You know i understand how you feel, i'm going through depression now, with really bad mood swings. My dumb consulants just change my insulin again, and still my levels are so high, that its wild. I low carb myself, and have done, for 10 years or so, at this point i'm taking humalog 3x at 16units, 16units and 18units, and then lantus 1x at 22units. My carbs intake for the whole day is max 60g, tell you the truth these doc's don't care, and treat you as a crimal, than a patient. I now made a appt with a private doc at the medical diabetes centre london, my partner remoraged his house to pay for any treatment they can provide. Sorry if i depressed you more, but your not alone we are all here to help.
Best of luck :)

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
snap on the diagnosis. don't give up you have to focus and don't let this beat you good luck

loneranger

Hi all,

Just wanted to say a massive thankyou to all that replied to my post, especially to Janabelle, you really opened my eyes to alot of lantus oddities, i have been on the web and have been reading up on alot of information, in which people are having alot of symptoms which are very similar to mine, funny enough they all take or took lantus. I am now planning to go to my g.p with this info and ask why the hell did they do this. Some people have reported long term effects on which the lantus has brought upon them and reading up on that infuriated me enough to stop crying and do something. I cant wait to see my drs face at the paperwork i've found and my consultant who said he wouldnt change my medicine, i'm sure armed with this much information somebody will have to admit to being wrong and actually help me. Although my hands,feet/ limbs are extremely swollen which i have not found as a common ailment as yet, so probably m.e is a correct diagnosis, maybe even the firomyalgia but i am still looking deeper into those. Thanks totsy for the offer of help, i might take you up on that. By grading my activities i suppose you mean put a time limit to eaach task i may do, what makes me more tired than the other? The hospital told me i have to be a case study, go in, did you do that? i'm afraid to do it because of the mood swings. Rgarcha, wow that was depressing, lol only joking, i'm afraid my sense of humours abit warped, that i cant blame on the meds, its always been that way! Thanks for the info and support. Someone told me i should see a private dr (by the way your partner sounds fantastic) but as you say that's alot of money, i find it unfair that when you have worked for years, which i was told the average is four years of work to pay for your nhs treatment for the rest of your life that you actually get nothing for what you paid in tax and god knows what. I am really interested in your carb intake, is the mantra of having carbs like pasta for dinner as it is a slow releasing sugar food, actually aload of rubbish? Should i be weighing my food? I mean i dont have a plateful but i have half a plate of pasta but should it be alot less? I guess i have been doing it wrong, its just with the brainfog i get muddled and tired quick so i want to get the food over and done with, i dont really like eating anymore thats probably why. Does anybody else dislike food? Or is that basically a depression thing? And ham79 sorry you're going through it too, hope you are ok and thanks, i guess i have regained abit of focus. I guess when you hold everything in for a long time it boils over and your focus slips, but thanks. Thanks everybody x

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Great to hear you sounding so positive Loneranger :)
A bit of further info, Lantus is known to cause fluid retention,which could account for your swollen feet, etc; I know 2 people who suffered swollen ankles on it, and 3 who've reported wee-ing for England when they came off it. It's not something I suffered from, although my face looked puffier, and I had constant spots on my chin/neck area.
I can relate to the food issue, i think when you're whole existance revolves around injecting, eating and getting the balance right, we take on the guilt when things aren't going well. I started to blame myself, felt I must be doing everything wrong, instead of enjoying food, it seemed like I was shovelling in food just to keep my BG right, more like a chore than enjoyment.
I also reckon some of the dietry advice doled out at diabetic clinics is too focused on carbs, carbs, carbs. My dietition referred to me as 'non compliant' when I told her I would miss an injection to have a low-carb lunch,she looked at me like I was crazy and didn't seem to undersand it at all.
Hope you get things sorted soon, and you can enjoy life and food again, keep positive :)
best wishes
Jus