Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
So half way and here are my thoughts , most of the time for me this is good. Most of the time I say , I have found that I have sometimes needed an escape from it , not a massive blow out and I'm very careful the next day , damage limitation as they say . For me, for this to work I need an escape. I'm human and I think at the end of the 8 weeks I will find the 5:2 easy . I'll also be more active again .
I'm not a perfectionist , I go by the law of good enoughness , I find the perfectionists I know tie themselves in knots trying to be perfect and often make themselves ill because perfection is hard to maintain where as being good enough is a nice place . Just my opinion and I'm sure others on here will disagree .
The other thing is that I am well aware that I couldn't be included in any clinical trial because I like to go off script a bit and do it my way.

Anyway halfway progress report:
FBS was 6.8 to start with and come down to the 5s consistently for a few weeks .

Weight was 163lb and is now 155lb ...7lb loss in a month , not massive numbers but as I have previously lost 2st before hurting my knee I happy with that

Waist measurement 95cm to start with , now 89cm - lost 6cm . Still in red zone but coming down

Feeling good too.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe, Also, if I had been half way through I think I would have just kept going to the end but with only a few days to go, weight down to a very acceptable level and blood sugars not going any lower but stable. I am not sure what else I can achieve, or need to prove. Sometimes it is best just to accept that it is the best you can do!

As I said at the time, my post was no criticism of anyone, I was just curious on his rationale.

As XP alludes, it can take a while for our bodies a little while to adjust to its newer format, and indeed I know from personal experience that my weight a couple of weeks ago was 0.2kg less than when I set the memory on my scales, here, just before going back to the UK on 1st May. Obviously, that's all an acceptable daily variance, with no material gain or loss, but I can readily state that my body shape has modified in that time; mainly around my mid-section. The impact being I am now a size 6 trousers and skirts, where, when I left, I was a size 8, top and bottom.

That's all very well, except that very small sizes are just as tricky to find sometimes as the larger or even the mid sized ones. But hey, ho. I can roll with the punches. :)

Good luck with the maintenance regime, Donna. For me, personally, that was a much bigger challenge than bringing my bloods down or trimming weight.

Reactions: 2 people

DaveNN

Just keep going...Its taken ( I would imagine) a few years for you to get to being T2, so a few weeks is nothing in comparison. How's the exercise going Jam? I've binned the walking and spending a few minutes spinning up the exercise bike and pushing a few weights. Your bloods do seem to be stable, am I correct? If so, then is this better that them being all over the shop? If you are at 8's, then I assume that your next goal is 7's and so on and so forth. FYI, I've upped my calorie intake slightly but still under 1000 BUT burning 3000 according to my Fitbit ( which I swear by). What are your carb daily input, if you don't mind me asking?
Oh...off the record....no carb cravings since my experiment of last week but I must admit to finding a cadbury's caramel bar ( the one which used to have the lady rabbit) tonight and was 'that far off" having it. Did have a rum and mint cocktail with my dinner ( tea ;-) ) and still banged in a 6.4, admittedly after a bit of time in the bike. I wish you and all well.

Reactions: 3 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi @DaveNN I'm happy with the 7lb and my bloods being in the 5 range . To me so far this is a success because I started this so that I didn't put weight on while me knee was sore . It more or less better .
So the plan is to rest it a bit longer and increase what I do daily until the last Sunday in March then do the 5x50 challenge again , The 5x50 challenge is the equivalent of 5km or 30 minutes of activity every day for 50 days .So as I slowly increase my calories I will also be getting back to my pre sore knee activity level , or that's the plan .

Reactions: 3 people

DaveNN

Bloods in 5s is perfect...your exercise plan is great too. We are advised to take 10k steps a day. That is **** hard, in terms of time consuming, if you have a sedentary job. Forgive me for not going through the thread again, what meds..if any..are you now on?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@DaveNN I have been diagnosed for 3 years and so far have avoided any medication for my diabetes . . I think it's a whole different ball game once the meds start . I'm not niaive and I know that with my family history I will probably need them one day but hopefully not for a long time .

DaveNN

That's simply excellent! I've dropped my met to 500mg a day ( YES....that's MY decision and I'm not advocating this at all...that's a note before someone tries to tear me a new bottom), as I do get a touch of tummy ache in the evening. Met is often described as a wonder drug..with positive effects on 'bad cholesterol' , BP and is supposedly anti carcinogenic. I'm likely to continue to take it even if I am no longer classed as a diabetic ( on blood figures) for this reason. Your results are something to be very proud of and should be a source of inspiration to those who think that they cannot improve their lot.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1457260576.381967.jpg

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1457260624.497657.jpg

I was in these articles . I shout as loudly as I can about lower carb and activity .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
DaveNN you are doing great too

DaveNN

YOUR'E famous... ( like meeeee ;-) ) I'm sure that I will get shouted down for this but there seem to be 3 types of Type2ers. Those like YOU and many others who get a grip of it and roll with the punches if/when set backs occur. Those who do appear to try BUT can never seem to hit the giddy highs ( actually lows) that they need and crave and then there's the 3rd who cry "woe is me... It's not my fault...I'm now off to Greggs for a potato pie and 3 chocolate eclairs"
The first are an inspiration, the 2nd need encouragement and support, as for the 3rd....?????
Oh, thank you!
I'm now nearly the same build that I was over 20yrs back. Slightly less muscular and roughly the same weight. This tells me that I'm still carrying a few extra pounds of fat, which will be shifted!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
YOUR'E famous... ( like meeeee ;-) ) I'm sure that I will get shouted down for this but there seem to be 3 types of Type2ers. Those like YOU and many others who get a grip of it and roll with the punches if/when set backs occur. Those who do appear to try BUT can never seem to hit the giddy highs ( actually lows) that they need and crave and then there's the 3rd who cry "woe is me... It's not my fault...I'm now off to Greggs for a potato pie and 3 chocolate eclairs"
The first are an inspiration, the 2nd need encouragement and support, as for the 3rd....?????
Oh, thank you!
I'm now nearly the same build that I was over 20yrs back. Slightly less muscular and roughly the same weight. This tells me that I'm still carrying a few extra pounds of fat, which will be shifted!
That's a very simplistic and judgemental view. There's at least one more type...those who try a lot harder than the rest, work at it a lot harder but don't get the results for whatever reasons.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the second type.
No, the phrase 'appear to try' isn't strong enough. It implies that we might be a cheating a little, unknown to anyone else. We do try. So much harder than the rest of you.

As for type 3, there's so many reasons why someone might take solace in Greggs (abuse/grief/depression in childhood etc). Be grateful you're not one of this group.

DaveNN

Unless we are sat watching them, how on Gods Green Earth do we know how 'hard' someone is really trying?
You see, it's a relative term. Hence why I put a deliberate caveat in
How hard do likes of me actually try? You see, I will usually walk about 60miles a week, across the local moors. That could be classed as hard, it's actually very easy NOW. However, I'm not doing much in the way if any walking and spinning up on the bike. That , to me, could be classed as hard BUT to Bradley Wiggins is naff all. As for your reasoning for the 3rd type, you know nothing of my past. The irony of you accusing me of being judgemental is not lost on me.....

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless we are sat watching them, how on Gods Green Earth do we know how 'hard' someone is really trying?
You see, it's a relative term. Hence why I put a deliberate caveat in
How hard do likes of me actually try? You see, I will usually walk about 60miles a week, across the local moors. That could be classed as hard, it's actually very easy NOW. However, I'm not doing much in the way if any walking and spinning up on the bike. That , to me, could be classed as hard BUT to Bradley Wiggins is naff all. As for your reasoning for the 3rd type, you know nothing of my past. The irony of you accusing me of being judgemental is not lost on me.....

The difference between us is that I look at all 3 types and consider they all need encouragement, even the ones in the first group as living with diabetes is a long hard road.

Well done on what you have achieved so far. :)

I am now back to the weight I was 10 years ago, it has taken me 4 years to get here.

Reactions: 4 people