Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking
I have been cut down on test strips .so my counts bit hit and miss
nurse told me 49 carbs each meal ??
but how do I know how many carbs in my meal???
is there advice ?I am on site here carbs but confusing .
is Collins gem carb counter any good ??
I have been recommend that ??
I am on nova 30 +mix twice a day 500 metformin twice a day .
am type two help please thank you revive@2

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was on weight watchers and achieved goal on that been type two fifteen years
now I am nova mix 30 ,+twice day and 500 metformin twice day .
I gain 3 stone over year now need get rid affecting my life .used go keep fit ti-chi swim walk 1 to 2 mile every day now puffed walk end road .help??revive@2

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use myfitnesspal.com to count both carbs and calories. It has an extensive database - but do check entries to make sure that they are a close match for the nutrition label (if you have access to the label), since the entries are user-entered. The USDA entries for single ingredients are most accurate, so I usually search first for USDA broccoli (as an example).

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I use myfitnesspal.com to count both carbs and calories. It has an extensive database - but do check entries to make sure that they are a close match for the nutrition label (if you have access to the label), since the entries are user-entered. The USDA entries for single ingredients are most accurate, so I usually search first for USDA broccoli (as an example).
thank you so much for reply I donot have access to any things you speak of sorry ??revive@2

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you so much for reply I donot have access to any things you speak of sorry ??revive@2
If you have a computer, you have access (unless you are in a country that blocks access to it). Just type www.myfitnesspal.com into your search line (like you would type in www.diabetes.co.uk to get to this site).

It is a free application. If you want it to keep track, you will have to sign up to set up a diary (where you can track everything you eat). But - if all you want is to find out how many carbs there are in something, you don't even have to sign up if all. (There is also a phone app, but you don't have to use it (I don't)).

For now, since you are just starting, just look at the total number of carbs (the first 2 images below are what you can do without any account at all).

Step by step. First go to www.myfitnesspal,com (Remember, I use USDA in front of naturally occurring food items, because those values are most likely to be accurate):

Screenshot_030616_121851_PM.jpg

This screen will come up (Notice there are several entries. The most similar (for the same quantity) are likely the most reliable. Of the ones that are for 100 grams of raw broccoli, the range in carbs is 6-7 grams, so that should be a realistic number to add to your meal total.
Screenshot_030616_122200_PM.jpg

If you sign up for a (free) account, you can create a daily diary and add the foods to it so you don't have to write them down elsewhere.

Here's most of my diary for yesterday:

Screenshot_030616_123033_PM.jpg

And the summary at the end of the day (it wouldn't all fit on one screen to capture it):
Screenshot_030616_123207_PM.jpg

Note - if you're looking at my total carbs you will see that my carbs are quite a bit lower than you were told to eat. That is because my goal is to maintain normal blood glucose levels without insulin (or drugs that make my pancreas create insulin). I have found (through testing) that I can't eat more than about 20 carbs in any 3 hour period and still achieve that).

It is a very aggressive dietary management. You probably want to start slow and see how much difference eating fewer carbs makes (like the 49 per meal that was suggested), get used to checking your blood sugar and sorting out how your body works. It's a lot to get used to.

Hope the pictures help you sort it out - if you have questions, feel free to ask. I can add more pictures or try to explain differently.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is also the carbs and Cals book available at Amazon which I and many others here have found very useful.

It has photos of many foods giving various portions by plate size and detailing nutritional info on each portion..

Reactions: 3 people

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
wow that best advice have been so far given ??I have never look carbs .but I was on weight watch and this is how access their ,food diarys ,and food intake ,but not carbs , so I shall try this thank you soooo much for making it sooo clear for me .most grateful .after only tablet and pointed diet .find carbs confuseing mine field .many thanks more folk should read this???? revive@2

Reactions: 2 people

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you have a computer, you have access (unless you are in a country that blocks access to it). Just type www.myfitnesspal.com into your search line (like you would type in www.diabetes.co.uk to get to this site).

It is a free application. If you want it to keep track, you will have to sign up to set up a diary (where you can track everything you eat). But - if all you want is to find out how many carbs there are in something, you don't even have to sign up if all. (There is also a phone app, but you don't have to use it (I don't)).

For now, since you are just starting, just look at the total number of carbs (the first 2 images below are what you can do without any account at all).

Step by step. First go to www.myfitnesspal,com (Remember, I use USDA in front of naturally occurring food items, because those values are most likely to be accurate):

View attachment 18087

This screen will come up (Notice there are several entries. The most similar (for the same quantity) are likely the most reliable. Of the ones that are for 100 grams of raw broccoli, the range in carbs is 6-7 grams, so that should be a realistic number to add to your meal total.
View attachment 18088

If you sign up for a (free) account, you can create a daily diary and add the foods to it so you don't have to write them down elsewhere.

Here's most of my diary for yesterday:

View attachment 18090

And the summary at the end of the day (it wouldn't all fit on one screen to capture it):
View attachment 18091

Note - if you're looking at my total carbs you will see that my carbs are quite a bit lower than you were told to eat. That is because my goal is to maintain normal blood glucose levels without insulin (or drugs that make my pancreas create insulin). I have found (through testing) that I can't eat more than about 20 carbs in any 3 hour period and still achieve that).

It is a very aggressive dietary management. You probably want to start slow and see how much difference eating fewer carbs makes (like the 49 per meal that was suggested), get used to checking your blood sugar and sorting out how your body works. It's a lot to get used to.

Hope the pictures help you sort it out - if you have questions, feel free to ask. I can add more pictures or try to explain differently.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have friend and she has fitness pal {she call it that }wristband worn on arm she plugs into computer .she on weight watch not diabetic though thank you revive@2
I don't use the wristband - although some can be used to feed activity information into the app. It's a fad. I use it purely to track food consumption.

Reactions: 2 people