Getting pregnant or not

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to see my doctor on Friday and I was told not to get pregnant yet, as I had a miscarriage last September and am recently diagnosed with type 2. Yet the nurse said it would be OK for us to keep trying. My average is around 7.5. Is this bad to be getting pregnant with these levels. Am so stressed with being given so many different opinions I don't know who to believe in.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I think with those levels you would be fine, but could you ask for a referral to a pregnancy planning clinic, most major hospitals would have them

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Am so stressed with being given so many different opinions I don't know who to believe in.
I suspect the doctor advised against pregnancy because you are stressed, because you're recently diagnosed and because insulin resistance often happens in pregnancy even in non-diabetics. If you're also quite young (i.e. not coming towards the end of your best child-bearing years) then this advice makes sense. I think that trying for a baby would only add to your stress. However, if you happen to get pregnant then the diabetes is quite manageable and is a very common risk factor that the medics are very used to managing.

Kate

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you had a recent HbA1C done? That's what's generally used to measure control and if it's good for trying to conceive.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am 44 in a few weeks time and I haven't had any children

Then you may want to try to 'fast track' trying to conceive. Even so, it would make pregnancy easier for you if you were confident with your diabetic control.

If it was me, I'd push for a referral to a pre-conception clinic.

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Am awaiting as the nurse has sent a referral. I was told on Friday it was 78 when they did it16 days ago, and that was when I was told I was diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am awaiting as the nurse has sent a referral. I was told on Friday it was 78 when they did it16 days ago, and that was when I was told I was diabetic.

So hopefully that will be much improved by the next time you have it done :)

Well done on the weight loss :)

Reactions: 2 people