Diabetic mom or dad = diabetic baby?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of interest how many of you diabetic moms or dads went on to have a diabetic child?

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a boy and giri both now in their 30s, neither of them have diabetes ( thank God ), my diabetes arrived a short while after a car knocked me off my bicycle when I was 7, that was given as the reason for the diabetes, I did worry about having children when I was younger but it seems in my case it's not heredity.

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news! Thank you both, it's always in the back of my mind.
I had chicken pox twice when I was 5 and that's what set mine off. No one else in my family has it and it made me wonder what the chances of my child having it were x

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have type one, it came after a nasty virus when I was 9. My mum is also type one but I was told that this was very rare and it was coincidence. That there may have been a weakness there but it still took something to trigger it X X X

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've been type 1 since I was 2 and my daughter who was just 2 was diagnosed type1 in Dec.
I think it's always in the back of your mind and I hope my baby twins won't be diagnosed. I guess you just have to manage it but hard as she is young.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1, as are my brother and sister and 2 cousins. We all have children but my daughter is the only one who is diabetic.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very interesting.
What will be will be I suppose. If my child has it then I will deal with it, what other choice do parents have!

Claire x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have 3 children, I am thankful none has type 1, but my young granddaughter has.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm not sure yet if my kids will develop diabetes but my mum has it and so does my brother, there is definitely a genetic componenet

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We did it the other way round. My son was diagnosed T1 in his teens. I was diagnosed T1 in my early 60s. My daughter and all four grandchildren do not have diabetes.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My children don't have diabetes yet, I say yet as in my family my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, great grandparents, great aunts and great uncles and all my siblings and all their children are diabetic. Yes - all of them!

Only a few are obese the majority of us are not overweight, I thought I had escaped the "curse" by watching my weight and eating a very-low fat vegetarian diet for my entire life (oh how little I knew then!) but I had gestational diabetes that didn't go away after I had my youngest.

So I added to the family statistics of 100% T2's :( I control mine by a low carb high/healthy fats vegetarian diet and no medication.

I am careful with my own families diets and check their fasting BG levels monthly, if my sons do develop diabetes I will ensure they have the tools and knowledge to manage it to the best of their ability, what more can a parent do.

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed after I caught a cold from my daughter. But 4 months later my son was diagnosed T1 too. My uncle is T2 on my dad's side and he is the only other known case in the whole family including my wife's family too. Sods law I suppose

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My children don't have diabetes yet, I say yet as in my family my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, great grandparents, great aunts and great uncles and all my siblings and all their children are diabetic. Yes - all of them!

Only a few are obese the majority of us are not overweight, I thought I had escaped the "curse" by watching my weight and eating a very-low fat vegetarian diet for my entire life (oh how little I knew then!) but I had gestational diabetes that didn't go away after I had my youngest.

So I added to the family statistics of 100% T2's :( I control mine by a low carb high/healthy fats vegetarian diet and no medication.

Ditto. Every descendant of my maternal grandfather who is my age or older has type 2 diabetes (until October I said older than I am . . .) I suspect it depends on the strain. The strain in my family is extremely hereditary.

Lizj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My ex husband was type1 and my younger son has also developed it. He's very like his father in many ways, and particularly in body type. We always watched him carefully. My elder son is physically nothing like either of us, he takes after grandparents I think, and he has no hint of it, nor of the type 2 I now have. We were told that you don't exactly inherit type 1, rather you inherit the tendency towards it, but something - possibly a virus - needs to trigger it, but I dont think they know what the trigger/s is/are. My husbands brother has no diabetes. Interestingly, just as my son is very like his father, my ex is very like his mum who we think had gestational diabetes. His brother is like his father.

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes runs in my family......the women....greatgrandmother and 2 of her sisters, grandmother and 3 of her sisters, my mother and 2 of her sisters. Now me! I have a sister and 2 daughters who do noy yet have diabetes but i worry that they will. Clearly hereditory. :(

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine's mitochondrial, so my all children have a 50% chance that they were born with it. But it's also progressive and progresses very slowly: mine didn't become symptomatic till my thirties, and my maternal grandmother's till her nineties; and it doesn't express in every generation - for example my mother has remained symptom-free.

Having said that, I've been tested for the known MODY and mitochondrial diabetes mutations and all have proved negative, so it's only my symptoms and family history that has given a working diagnosis of mitochondrial diabetes. This means that my children can't be tested for whatever it is I've got until medical science catches up.

Kate

monimoni

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just out of interest how many of you diabetic moms or dads went on to have a diabetic child?
I felt the same way being a type 1 and then my pregnancy wad fantastic until 30wks. Then my daughter decided to come early 33+6. But she was a healthy strong ,beautiful baby. Now she is 2 with no signs of diabetes although I still worry especially when she is ill. As my diagnoses was through bad tonsillitis when I was 3 back In 1986.