13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
That is absolutely gorgeous, such an intricate and delicate creature - and it's pink!

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@rodman - You take some brilliant photographs. I visit this thread daily to look at the pictures - Well Done to All of you.:)

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a great capture @rodman - I've not done that well capturing dragonflies and damselflies.

I think that gorgeous pink beastie is a dragonfly though. As I understand it, the way to separate them is that at rest, if their wings are outstretched like that they're dragonflies, as damsels generally fold them back against the body when at rest. And another test is their eyes, damsels have much smaller eyes on the side of their heads that never touch and dragonflies usually have huge eyes that pretty much cover their heads and tend to touch in the middle.

You can only usually only tell once you've got a photo as they move too fast. I've wasted a lot of time trying to get good photos and have very few to show for it. I do rather better with butterflies and my favourites are hoverflies, I just love them in my garden. And don't even get me started about how many thousands of failed bee shots I've taken.

For comparison, this is, I believe, a damselfly:
june2011_0621h.jpg

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Thank you amgrundy, I love **** :eek: you know what I mean :)
Dutty auld man lol

Oh do you know I have been really off form the last few days but this post raised a big wide smile

Reactions: 6 people

rodman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Loads :)
That's a great capture @rodman - I've not done that well capturing dragonflies and damselflies.

I think that gorgeous pink beastie is a dragonfly though. As I understand it, the way to separate them is that at rest, if their wings are outstretched like that they're dragonflies, as damsels generally fold them back against the body when at rest. And another test is their eyes, damsels have much smaller eyes on the side of their heads that never touch and dragonflies usually have huge eyes that pretty much cover their heads and tend to touch in the middle.

You can only usually only tell once you've got a photo as they move too fast. I've wasted a lot of time trying to get good photos and have very few to show for it. I do rather better with butterflies and my favourites are hoverflies, I just love them in my garden. And don't even get me started about how many thousands of failed bee shots I've taken.

For comparison, this is, I believe, a damselfly:
june2011_0621h.jpg
Nice picture BooJewels, and thank you for that information :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, Not been on here for a few days, like your pictures, will be taking children to the lake later if it does not rain,:) will try and get some photos today. have a good day

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Love your new avatar @amgrundy Cute and cuddly - just like you?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The baby ducks are gorgeous - is that from this year?

I just went out to try and take some photos of my spring flowers whilst the sun was on them and spotted this chap catching some rays. I didn't think they were about this soon, but checking on their life cycle, they do emerge in March and April to start feeding after overwintering somewhere safe, before they breed in May. I was telling my Mum and she said she saw one last week, but it's lower nearer the coast where she is, so generally a bit warmer. I couldn't really get close enough to get a decent shot at a better angle, so this is substantially cropped, so the quality suffers a bit.

spring_1300d.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, got some pics for you all to see, not had time to upload them yet will do tomorrow. :)