FranOnTheEdge - My Intro

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm not sure yet if I'll change from the SW diet to the low carb/high fat one yet... I'll need to see what testing shows me I think.
You don't have to change it in one go. Once you get your meter and get some test results...you can then do little trials. Maybe just do low carb breakies to start with and see how you go...or try it on other end of the day, dinner end, if that's where your highest readings tend to be. You have total freedom to tailor it to your own needs.
I was already in diversion to go that way..higher fat content... myself when I found out this forum and read about LCHF..it just kind of confirmed what I had started to do and then went for it in big time. Now I'm struggling with low readings as it is going bit too well and I'm trying to learn to adjust taking less medicines....it just feels so weird and the change has happened so quickly too.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
just to get some uninterrupted ME-time with my 'stuff/things
That's exactly it - I have lots of 'stuff'. My Dad is the only one that really gets me, as he has even more 'stuff' than me, hence my Mum was happy for him to offload a drill in my direction.

I have to blackmail/bribe myself - or I'd never get done the things that I need to. Like just now, I promised myself a few minutes with the camera if I did a load of laundry and cleaned the bathroom. Those now done, so I'm going to find my fleece and get outside whilst the sun is out.

You don't have to change it in one go. Once you get your meter and get some test results
I would add, that you don't need to make massive changes in one go either - make changes gradually to foods/dishes until you acclimatise. Changing your entire eating regime very quickly is not only difficult to get used to mentally, but I think your body and digestive system needs time to adjust too - mine certainly did. I'd been a moderate carber for over 20 years as long time diabetic, but wanted to reduce still further, but I felt quite poorly when I made significant changes, so I had to approach it more gradually.

For example, when I wanted to start adding yogurt to fill me up at breakfast, I started with a nice full fat Greek style yogurt and put my own chopped fruit in it, then I put less fruit and some seeds and chopped nuts, then the seed and nuts on their own and then I gradually decreased the amount and now I love plain yogurt just on its own - that would have been unthinkable some time ago.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Good morning. I'm interested in reading all of the various creative endeavours above. I too am a creative type. And you certainly can't have too much in your stash!

I'm a technical illustrator by trade, but after a series of changes in direction, career-wise, I now make my living making jewellery, working from home and largely selling on-line. I also have a silhouette cutter that I got for for working with metal clay, but have found all sorts of other interesting ways to use it, including cutting templates and patterns for other hobbies and making greetings cards - I need to make a new baby one today. I've always been very keen on photography and have sewn (everything from embroidery to curtains) since I was a nipper, as my Mum was a dressmaker - I even had a sewing shop for a few years.

I have a new sewing machine being delivered today - I had a new one as a birthday present from all my family in January and after problems with two different machines, I put some more dosh to it and went for something better, so they're swapping them over today. I worked all day Saturday as my husband was doing a course, so I can give myself tomorrow off to play with the new machine. I use sewing and papercraft with my jewellery business too, as I make my own gift wrap and marketing materials.

I wish I had more hours in the day as there are so many things I'd like to try - I have a kiln, so I'd like to try glass fusing and more enamelling.

Until my machine arrives after lunch I'm going to try and take some close up photos of some of the spring bulbs whilst the sun is on them, then my Dad has modified and old cordless drill for me to run very slowly to use for coiling and twisting, as the one I was using is about to die on me, so I'm going to set that up and have a play.

Selling online, oooh I've been thinking about that for a long time now, but it scares me.
You have a Silhouette? Which one? I've got a Silhouette Cameo, got it for making my own design of stencils, I've got one stencil I made that I call "Tomato Birds", since it looks a bit like birds but is made from a photo of a sliced tomato. Lol! I love doing things like that.
I've tried metal clay before but now I'm more into Polymer Clay, since I can use it on a texture piece as well as for making jewelery. More versatile and I'm not so worried about messing up valuable metals.

I'd love to try glass fusing too, especially with dichroic glass - mmmmm lovely! We haven't got a kiln yet though. My husband was thinking about it as he wants to get into stained glass (with lead), but he still works, so hasn't much time or energy when he's off work. (and likes football! Lol!)
Ian has a hand wire twister, so I'm going to have a little play with that when I have a moment.
Where do you sell? Etsy?

Frances_ann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Onions , Garlic , Curry
Hi all, I've only recently joined the Diabetes forums, and have been asking a few questions that were worrying me so up to now I didn't make time to introduce myself, well it's about time I remedied that.
My name is Fran, my online 'handle' is FranOnTheEdge.
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic on about the 29th Dec last year (2015).

I'm now on a controlled release form of Metformin because the first lot gave me the dihorios, this lot do too, but not quite so often. It makes it kind of hard to know if it's safe to go swimming at the local leisure center, but swimming is the only exercise I can do because I also have Arthritis in every joint - some more so than others, so any impact producing exercise like running (can't remember the last time I could run anywhere) or pilates which wanted me to spend most of the time balancing on the damaged vertebra in my back - are out, swimming on the other hand is actually enjoyable, and afterwards I can sense my body feeling like it's humming and actually working a bit, and my breathing improves too.

I am vastly overweight but have been able to reduce that (partly me and latterly partly with help from Slimming World) so that since September last year (pre-diagnoses) I have now lost 2 stone 3lb 12 ounces. I feel pretty proud of that, would never have thought I could do it, but I've got a long, long way to go yet.

But none of all that is really ME, there's more to me than that health stuff.

I feel that my core self is as an artist, I have tested out many different types of art, and currently I work in Grunge Art, Texture Art, and Acrylic Painting, and use polymer clay, plaster, stencils, gels, crackle paste, gesso, tinfoil, shells, sand, garden seedheads, stones, found objects, kitchen implements, greenhouse shading, old pen tops, mesh, hessian, lace... almost anything I can think of a use for, to create my art.

I have 2 kids, both girls: one has a daughter, and the other has 1 daughter and two sons, and my husband is my best friend.

I like watching Pointless - we cheat, and watch recorded episodes pausing while we think. Lol!
Time Team, Midsomer Murders, other Archaeology progs, sciensy progs, (love Professor Brian Cox,) QIXL, Red Dwarf, real crime like Forensic Detectives (where they catch the baddies - not so keen on the unsolved ones) stuff about Neanderthals, not so keen on David Attenborough progs, simply because sooner or later some small baby animal will get torn to bits - gives me nightmares, and I have enough of my own worries for that. I like David Attenborough himself though.
Absolutely canNOT STAND those ghost finding progs, and most of those dancing progs make me want to punch someone, but we're all different, aren't we?

I once wrote a complete whodunnit book, but I've never had anything published. (I'll admit I didn't really try very hard.) plus a lot of unfinished writings, including some poetry. Hmmm, sometimes I think it's okay, sometimes I don't.

I have a bouncy Collie dog, who sheds like mad and whom we recently took up to Cumbria to visit one daughter taking the other with us - dog was amazingly well behaved, I was very surprised and so proud of him.

I love buying gadgets, bought a soupmaker that gave me lukewarm bitty soup with a raw onion taste - should have been smooth and hot - wasn't. (Sent it back as faulty) I still like the idea of a soupmaker, but it's priority has moved way, way down the list.
I've bought a spiralizer, but haven't found a recipe that uses it which I actually want to make yet.
Bought an AirFryer, it sat on the cupboard for a long time, but I'm finally starting to use it more.

Can't think of anything else, which is a good thing, 'cos if anyone read all this, by now they'll be fed up with me, so that's all folks!
So if you have got this far, please say hello...
Hi Fran, how refreshing to hear another crafters crafty habits, we all have our diabetic problems but it is so nice to hear what you and others are getting up to. I make handmade greeting cards and do a little sewing, when I'm not suffering with Metformin Bum as I call it I craft away like mad and really find it relaxing. Carry on and enjoy

Reactions: 2 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You don't have to change it in one go. Once you get your meter and get some test results...you can then do little trials. Maybe just do low carb breakies to start with and see how you go...or try it on other end of the day, dinner end, if that's where your highest readings tend to be. You have total freedom to tailor it to your own needs.
I was already in diversion to go that way..higher fat content... myself when I found out this forum and read about LCHF..it just kind of confirmed what I had started to do and then went for it in big time. Now I'm struggling with low readings as it is going bit too well and I'm trying to learn to adjust taking less medicines....it just feels so weird and the change has happened so quickly too.
Oh I see, try something, test, and then change if it works... or try something else if it doesn't. Got it, thanks.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well....it is early in the season yet, and my 'old' girls haven't got into proper laying swing as yet.....and I always feel like there more than just laying machines....hence hanging on to them and keeping them as pets as long as possible. Don't have heart to get rid of just because they don't produce that well anymore:rolleyes: Who knows....hubby might get some ideas from that...:eek:
We don't get rid of ours either, they are our pets, more Mum's than mine, but me and my husband do all the mucky jobs and buy the bedding and food for them - Mum just feeds them. She's been bringing in quite a few eggs lately - it surprised me how many.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lol...when ever craft people start talking...they always moan that they don't enough hours in the day and so many things they would like to try to do on top of what they've already have tried and done.
And getting hands on one's new 'toys'....so exciting. I always hush my hubby out of house..'go on, play some golf or something..' just to get some uninterrupted ME-time with my 'stuff/things' :D
Oh yes! Never enough time to do the craft/art and it's worse if you are trying to film it all too, and my list of things to do and new things/techniques/methods/equipment/colours of Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays to try, or making my own sprays.gesso, texture paste etc... never enough time for it all.
I just got some new Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays, so exciting! I wait until he's gone to work to try new stuff (I use my own money to buy it, but I'm always aware that I buy too much and would rather he doesn't have too accurate an idea of what I've got, and how much it cost.) then I have to find somewhere to 'store' it descretely until I can say with conviction - "oh that old stuff, I've had that ages!"
ROFL!

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's exactly it - I have lots of 'stuff'. My Dad is the only one that really gets me, as he has even more 'stuff' than me, hence my Mum was happy for him to offload a drill in my direction.

I have to blackmail/bribe myself - or I'd never get done the things that I need to. Like just now, I promised myself a few minutes with the camera if I did a load of laundry and cleaned the bathroom. Those now done, so I'm going to find my fleece and get outside whilst the sun is out.

I would add, that you don't need to make massive changes in one go either - make changes gradually to foods/dishes until you acclimatise. Changing your entire eating regime very quickly is not only difficult to get used to mentally, but I think your body and digestive system needs time to adjust too - mine certainly did. I'd been a moderate carber for over 20 years as long time diabetic, but wanted to reduce still further, but I felt quite poorly when I made significant changes, so I had to approach it more gradually.

For example, when I wanted to start adding yogurt to fill me up at breakfast, I started with a nice full fat Greek style yogurt and put my own chopped fruit in it, then I put less fruit and some seeds and chopped nuts, then the seed and nuts on their own and then I gradually decreased the amount and now I love plain yogurt just on its own - that would have been unthinkable some time ago.
Interesting idea with the gradual yoghurt, I'll think about that. My difficulty with Slimming World is that they do rather push the idea of a sweet breakfast, I shudder at the very thought, I prefer a nice savoury breakfast - I used to just have coffee a long time ago, but now I like a slice of toast, not keen on huge platefuls of anything that early in the morning, not even savoury, I start to feel peckish more around 10am, rather than 6am.
Lol, I just hung out a load of laundry too, now I think I'll go play with... koff, I mean experiment with my new "Cell Theory" stencil and my new Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays - my first time with these, they come just dry powder, and you add the water yourself - scary time!

Do you mind saying in what way you were poorly when you made significant changes?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting idea with the gradual yoghurt, I'll think about that.
That was only really a 'for instance' as to how I modded my diet gradually - I couldn't have made the leap to plain yogurt in one step. Same with all sorts of foods, gradually change - like if you sweeten your brew - if you can't cut it out in one step, reduce it a few days at a time and your taste buds soon adapt.

not keen on huge platefuls of anything that early in the morning, not even savoury,
I can't face breakfast too early either, so I sit with my husband whilst he has his, see him off to work, load the washing machine etc., then have mine when I'm properly hungry - usually between 9 and half-past. I enjoy it significantly better that way. You could do it like a hobit and just have two breakfasts.

Do you mind saying in what way you were poorly when you made significant changes?
I just felt rough, my stomach was unsettled, I had belly ache with a bloated, uneasy feeling. I still can't eat some low carb meals, they just don't sit well with me and I'm not sure that I could even explain how. I've given up on trying to fake baked goods with alternative flours, they do something odd with my insides and give me palpitations. If I really want a piece of bread, I'd just have one occasionally and make adjustments elsewhere. I don't go at it as hard core as some can manage. I've been diabetic a long time, so already have a lot of carb reduced recipes, so I stick with those.

You have a Silhouette? Which one?
I have the smaller Portrait. If I'd known how much I'd use it, I might have saved a bit longer and gone for the larger one. I'll upgrade at some time in the future.

Where do you sell? Etsy?
I have an empty shop on Etsy, I did use it for a while, but I just have my own site now, it makes it much easier to only have to manage stock control in one place. There's a link in my profile to my blog and site from there if you want a nosey.

I work in polymer clay a little too - I make cabochons to set in metal clay pendant, so that the entire piece is hand crafted. I started with polymer clay to see how I might like metal clay, but found it a good source material in its own right.

My sewing machine has arrived so I'm off for a play, laters!