Trying to turn things around

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My name's David - diagnosed type 2 in September 2012 in the middle of an operation to remove part of my bowel. Put straight onto insulin (novorapid and levemir) but what I was told didn't really sink in that much.

Initially I had very good control of my blood sugar levels but gradually things have declined - eating too much and not eating the right things, not getting enough exercise and putting on weight.

Over Christmas I got as down as I can remember being in a very long time - weight over 20 stone, no interest in anything, and having problems which would all appear on the face of things to be related to poorly controlled blood sugar - fungal infections in both ears and around my navel, a frozen right shoulder, and a wound from an operation to drain an abscess starting to weep.

Decided enough was enough and that I needed to get things back under control. A series of visits to my GP's practice and a drastic reduction in the amount of carbs and calories consumed and increasing the amount of walking I do and things look to be improving - the frozen shoulder's gone, the fungal infections are clearing up with the help of treatment, my weight's down to 18 stone 9 and my blood sugars are looking good again - been testing seven/eight times a day for the last two weeks and now ten days since I last had a reading that was in double figures and the majority of readings are now between 4 and 7 pre-meal and 4 and 8.5 two hours after eating. Readings in the 5s are becoming more and more prevalent and even my morning readings (which I've always had problems with are coming down.

Have also reduced managed to reduce my insulin doses (initial doses were 8 at breakfast, and 12 at lunch and dinner, with a bedtime dose of levemir of 34). Breakfast dose is now down to 4 (had been eating either Ready Brek or Weetabix but have subsequently discovered that they were massively spiking my levels and now usually have some Greek yogurt and a couple of oatcakes) lunch is down to 9 and dinner to 6 ... but it's the Levemir that's really come down - had been getting nighttime hypos and GPs advice was to eat more before I went to bed - didn't want to do that and tried instead reducing the insulin dose and have now reduced that to 8 and the hypos have disappeared.

Had a HbA1C test last month and that's at 53, cholesterol was at 4.7 and BMI is 39 so still a lot of work to do but feeling like I'm on the right road after a long time in the doldrums. Have got another session with my GP at the end of the month and feeling much more positive.

Will post on here as to progress ... in the meantime thanks for your time.

Regards,

David V.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your really getting back on track. I went through a melt down since late last year and getting things under control

Reactions: 8 people
P

paula.nolan42

Hi there @david1968 Congratulations :happy: I'm reading your post and I feel so proud of you. I think you deserve a heap of praise for a brilliant restart... Lots of what you said resonated with me, I can empathise. There is lots of support here please don't feel alone.

Best wishes

Reactions: 4 people

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @david1968 Congratulations :happy: I'm reading your post and I feel so proud of you. I think you deserve a heap of praise for a brilliant restart... Lots of what you said resonated with me, I can empathise. There is lots of support here please don't feel alone.

Best wishes

Thanks Paula,

I think this place is going to be a great help. Must admit that I've been lurking for a couple of weeks reading the threads and there's some inspirational tales. Seems like a very friendly place as well.

Regards,

David

Reactions: 5 people
P

paula.nolan42

Thanks Paula,

I think this place is going to be a great help. Must admit that I've been lurking for a couple of weeks reading the threads and there's some inspirational tales. Seems like a very friendly place as well.

Regards,

David

Yep, its a great place, even if its just for the banter (or the craic as I'd say) some very lovely people. In fact I'd say it has kept me sane over the last few weeks. There is always someone who understands or can empathise. Its been a lifesaver for me in that I don't have too many friends here where I live and certainly none are diabetic, I don't want to keep harping on about it to family so to have a community here to talk to is brilliant.

Reactions: 2 people

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, its a great place, even if its just for the banter (or the craic as I'd say) some very lovely people. In fact I'd say it has kept me sane over the last few weeks. There is always someone who understands or can empathise. Its been a lifesaver for me in that I don't have too many friends here where I live and certainly none are diabetic, I don't want to keep harping on about it to family so to have a community here to talk to is brilliant.

I find it very difficult with the family - it's like I have to keep reminding them all the time! Not as bad as work though - leaving all those cakes lying around when somebody has a birthday and never anything diabetic friendly :(

Now, you've got me wondering ... referring to the craic like that ... you're not one of the Nolans are you??

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

I'm in the mood for dancin', romancin'
Ooh I'm given' it all tonight
I'm in the mood for chancin'
I feel like dancin'
Ooh so come on and hold me tight

Dancin', I'm in the mood, babe
So let the music play
Ooh I'm dancin', I'm in the groove, babe
So get on up and let your body sway

no... Im not one of those Nolan's

But I am 100% Irish :) and I love having the craic especially if it involves the Boys in Green playing Rugby, although these 6 Nations have been a bit of an Irish disaster.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
P

paula.nolan42

@david1968 I enjoy Rugby, haven't much of a clue as to how to follow the rules.. alls I knows is, I scream at the telly when Ireland have the ball and are scoring trys or Im screaming obscenities when Ireland are dropping the ball or giving it away or when the TMO is not allowing what was an obvious try against England

P

paula.nolan42

Now, you've got me wondering ... referring to the craic like that ... you're not one of the Nolans are you??

The irony of this is, just a moment ago, my brother sent me a video clip of my nieces, he captioned it 'The Nolan Sisters' Lucia (6) is "playing" a Ukelele and singing about a horse and Claudia (3) is blowing into a harmonica !!!

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The irony of this is, just a moment ago, my brother sent me a video clip of my nieces, he captioned it 'The Nolan Sisters' Lucia (6) is "playing" a Ukelele and singing about a horse and Claudia (3) is blowing into a harmonica !!!

You could be the New Nolans!

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my lowest morning reading (5.0) for at least a couple of years this morning ... weight down to 18 stone 5 and BMI has dropped a point!

12 days until next GP appointment and feeling good!

Reactions: 9 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Welcome @david1968

They are fantastic results and on here we all know how much effort that takes so congratulations. This is a great forum and it has been sensational for me since I started coming here at the start of the year. So keep posting and use it to get answers or opinions etc on anything you are not sure of and feel free to contribute. Bet that 5 felt good this morning!! Keep it going
Cheers

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Hi,

My name's David - diagnosed type 2 in September 2012 in the middle of an operation to remove part of my bowel. Put straight onto insulin (novorapid and levemir) but what I was told didn't really sink in that much.

Initially I had very good control of my blood sugar levels but gradually things have declined - eating too much and not eating the right things, not getting enough exercise and putting on weight.

Over Christmas I got as down as I can remember being in a very long time - weight over 20 stone, no interest in anything, and having problems which would all appear on the face of things to be related to poorly controlled blood sugar - fungal infections in both ears and around my navel, a frozen right shoulder, and a wound from an operation to drain an abscess starting to weep.

Decided enough was enough and that I needed to get things back under control. A series of visits to my GP's practice and a drastic reduction in the amount of carbs and calories consumed and increasing the amount of walking I do and things look to be improving - the frozen shoulder's gone, the fungal infections are clearing up with the help of treatment, my weight's down to 18 stone 9 and my blood sugars are looking good again - been testing seven/eight times a day for the last two weeks and now ten days since I last had a reading that was in double figures and the majority of readings are now between 4 and 7 pre-meal and 4 and 8.5 two hours after eating. Readings in the 5s are becoming more and more prevalent and even my morning readings (which I've always had problems with are coming down.

Have also reduced managed to reduce my insulin doses (initial doses were 8 at breakfast, and 12 at lunch and dinner, with a bedtime dose of levemir of 34). Breakfast dose is now down to 4 (had been eating either Ready Brek or Weetabix but have subsequently discovered that they were massively spiking my levels and now usually have some Greek yogurt and a couple of oatcakes) lunch is down to 9 and dinner to 6 ... but it's the Levemir that's really come down - had been getting nighttime hypos and GPs advice was to eat more before I went to bed - didn't want to do that and tried instead reducing the insulin dose and have now reduced that to 8 and the hypos have disappeared.

Had a HbA1C test last month and that's at 53, cholesterol was at 4.7 and BMI is 39 so still a lot of work to do but feeling like I'm on the right road after a long time in the doldrums. Have got another session with my GP at the end of the month and feeling much more positive.

Will post on here as to progress ... in the meantime thanks for your time.

Regards,

David V.
That's wonderful David and an inspiration to others. Well done

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight now under 18 stone, so that's over two stone gone since Christmas and one in the last five weeks :)