Night-time hypos

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a few of these recently ... waking up in a sweat and with what appear to be 'rebounding' blood sugar levels (9.7 at 2am after a reading of 5.6 at 10.55pm and 9.6 at 3am after a reading of 5.9 at 11.15pm.

GP's advice was to have have a snack before bed but as I'm trying to lose weight I wasn't too keen on that and went down the route of reducing my nighttime dose of insulin (Levemir) instead - had been on 34 units more or less since I was first diagnosed three and a half years ago but with better control of my blood sugar levels during the day I've reduced my nighttime dosage to 8 or 9 units and the hypos have stopped.

I'm having a small snack if bedtime levels are low but I'm not sure exactly what's considered to be low - I was originally told that if my bedtime reading was below 7 I should have a snack containing approximately 30g of carbs but I'm now finding that I can be below seven and not have a snack and not have a hypo - two examples - a bedtime reading of 5.4 at 11pm with a snack of two slices of malt loaf and a plum and a dose of 8 units and at 7 the next morning the reading was 5.5 ... and then on Saturday my bedtime reading at 10.30 was 6.6, I injected 8 units of Levemir but didn't have a snack and the reading at 8 on Sunday morning was 6.1.

Would be greatful for people's thoughts as to what an acceptable 'non-snacking' level is or is it just a case of trial and error?

Thanks,

David V.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect that everyone will find their own personal level, depending on the type of insulin, its profile and how they respond to it. I was advised to have a snack if much below 8 at bedtime, but I can't lie down to sleep if I've just eaten - so I don't actually eat unless I'm around 6 these days. I've never eaten supper, so don't want to start now.

What I tend to do is check mid-evening - usually my post-dinner reading - and if I feel hungry, or we ate earlier than usual, might have some nuts, yogurt or cheese at that time. Chances are that if I'm likely to need a little booster, it'll be about the time my husband announces that he has the munchies and heads for the cornflakes.

I don't routinely have carbs unless I'm really going too low - which I did for a while in January before a change in insulin.

I'm happiest going to bed between upper 6s to mid 7s - I feel as though I stay pretty even overnight at that.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@david1968, test your bg levels for a few nights just to get a better picture what happens when you don't have that late night snack, the results will determine if you need to eat or not before bed.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that I shouldn't be below 8 at bedtime either. I've always had a small snack before bed ever since I was diagnosed. There have been times where I haven't and I do hypo. Also I think at times we need to adjust our basal dose depending on what is going on. I just had a rough few months with added illness and had a hard time trying to get my basal right because sugar just goes crazy when the body is fighting things. But now I'm back to my usual and finally getting lower numbers in the morning again so I figure my basal is right just now. I also was told to make sure I eat a protein with some carb as a snack and I do find that works best for me.