13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi, there is a great thread on the Success Stories and Testimonials forum all about lchf diet successes. I personally am medicine free after following the eating plan and have blood sugar readings in the "normal" range This was after 9+ years on medication following a low fat carbohydrate rich diet. There are lots of people on this forum who have done the same thing and got rid of their diabetic symptoms. Good luck if you decide to give it a go.

Reactions: 11 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck! :)
Thank you so much!

Well, I'm back from the Doc and he's agreed I can come off Metformin for a four month trial! I'm beyond happy and have a big FAT smile on my face!

LCHF is worth a try - I thought I couldn't live without bread, but it honestly doesn't feel that way now. Good luck to OP.

Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Add another one to the chorus. Diagnosed last May, LCHF since July. Almost 2 stone lost, BGs in normal range and improved cholesterol mix.

Reactions: 5 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for LCHF, works for me, keep my T2 under control by diet alone. It is harder being a veggie as well but do-able and in my opinion well worth it.
I had to demand to try it before medication (I didn't take the prescribed metformin) and my HbA1C was so improved after 3 months that GP allowed me to continue med-free.
It took me a while to get to grips with the full fat aspect after my entire life had been low-fat and being told by so-called health experts that fat was the enemy. I get really good blood glucose control with LCHF but if I don't eat as much fat then the levels can nudge up a bit. So now my HbA1C levels are always below 35 (generally 30 -33).

Reactions: 8 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
It worked for me in terms of blood sugar control but I ended up with cholesterol problems (LDL) and quit after 3 years of strict low carbing the Bernstein way (i.e. less than 30 grams per day). Not trying to put you off, it really is effective for blood sugar control. My HBA1C is the same as when I was low carbing so I don't miss it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Like @KayeStevenson, I am RH, which means we have to low carb.
Yes, it works!
It works, to get your blood glucose levels down.
It works if you want to lose weight.
It works to help you reverse the bad effects of diabetes.
It works to help you, come off meds, if you can, of course.

Myself, seventeen stone, now under twelve!
I was slowly getting real bad unhealthy conditions and mental problems.
I'm fit and healthy, no problems with my health, my BP was pronounced perfect by my GP.
This is the only diet that worked for me, and done most of them.

It really does work!

Reactions: 2 people

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes yes yes. Minimum willpower weight falls off. Just get through low carb flu

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
the answer seems to be that it CAN work, The real question is can you aford to not try it?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
It definitely works, I have lost 4stone in 2 years. You do need to increase your fat intake if you decrease your carbs significantly, or you may be hungry/feel unsatisfied. At first it can feel strange to eat the foods we've been told for years are bad for us such as hard cheese, fatty meat, cream, nuts but stick with it and once you start to see the results you will want to continue. Don't make the mistake of trying to have a moderate amount of carbs in addition to high fat, if you want to lose weight you have to go really low carb IMHO although to improve your diabetes any reduction in carbs is beneficial.

One thing that helped me a lot was finding low carb alternatives such as low carb bread (livlife).

Tooconfused

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been skeptical for a long time, but recently told I'm at stage 4 kidney failure, so although I'm not exactly doing "LCHF" on purpose, I'm following diet for my kidneys. Fried red peppers, onions, garlic for lunch one day, then next day broccoli and cauliflower, etc etc and on it goes. I'm avoiding bread/pasta and have only had the odd potato. I can say that I feel a lot better eating like this and my BG is dropping slowly. It may be worth trying yourself a LCHF diet, can't hurt.

I'm eating like this for 3 months then having a blood test