Type 1's help!

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep going Miriamenily- it's hard going and will be for a bit longer unfortunately, but it will hopefully get better and you'll be pleased and proud you stuck with it. I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but when you get stressed, it can make things worse. I have battles with some good but a lot of bad days- I get really stressed and annoyed, and always get told off by my DSN saying its not helping! I try having a week of trying not to let BG's worry me, but still trying to keep working hard on what I eat and what ratio to use. Nobody said it would be easy, but knowing there are plenty of people willing to help and offer advice is a big morale boost. We can all benefit from this help. Best of luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey how you been today ?

Take each day as it comes, each one will be different with it's own trials and tribulations, this is the challenge we all face every day, above all else stay positive, this is where we beat this into submission, mindset is 90% of the battle. Look forward to hearing how you are getting on..

Reactions: 2 people
I've been type 1 for 7 years now. I was diagnosed at 14 and have never been able to control. I'm now at the point where I need help I'm terrified of complications I am about to move to the other side of the world and I am a bit lost! I've recently had a missed miscarriage and since then I've been so exhausted, hardly sleeping or eating and my sugars are crazy. Any advice welcome and appreciated.
Hi I've been type 1 for 23yes and I'm only 28 I've have spent more then half my life with out of control diabetes and freak out at least twice a year about it all. I've also had a miscarriage in the past so I understand the exhaustion and an empty depressing feeling the number 1 thing I suggest is talk! Talk! Talk! Weather it b to a professional a friend or ur diabetes nurse or doctor ur emotions and anxiety about the past and ur coming future move plays havoc on ur levels. But keep doing what ur doing and keep an eye on ur sugars and habits. I keep a diary of things I do good bad and ugly and it can sometimes really help me remember what I've done that reflects my sugars. Best of luck

Reactions: 4 people

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Past two days have been rubbish. I woke up on Tuesday morning at 1.2 really bad hypo, then after countering that I went to just reading hi. Then yesterday I felt the full bounce back of it and was ill. So naturally felt down about it after just one bad reading. It's like sometimes my 20 lantus units is perfect and sometimes it's waaaay too much. It's so frustrating

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi I've been type 1 for 23yes and I'm only 28 I've have spent more then half my life with out of control diabetes and freak out at least twice a year about it all. I've also had a miscarriage in the past so I understand the exhaustion and an empty depressing feeling the number 1 thing I suggest is talk! Talk! Talk! Weather it b to a professional a friend or ur diabetes nurse or doctor ur emotions and anxiety about the past and ur coming future move plays havoc on ur levels. But keep doing what ur doing and keep an eye on ur sugars and habits. I keep a diary of things I do good bad and ugly and it can sometimes really help me remember what I've done that reflects my sugars. Best of luck
Thanks for this! I guess I'm doing okay dealing with it... But then sometimes I think not. I feel 100% guilty for losing the baby because if I had known I could have controlled my sugars. I want to do everything I can to make sure that never happens again. I just et angry all the times. And don't know where to put that anger anymore. Years ago when I was young I used to self harm but I've been clean for around 3/4 years and would never go back. But because I stopped I don't know what else to do with it. I'm like a walking car crash

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
you certainly are not a walking car crash -- you are an amazing and brave young lady sharing all her personal feelings and what she has gone through --
I believe that you have the determination to get yourself to where you want to be.
keep posting :)

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey guys sorry I disappeared! Past week has been crazy busy with work and moving arrangements. I haven't had the best few days however I haven't yet gone over 20 maximum normally that would be hi in my meter. Been up and down like a yoyo! Today didn't help after doing a ten hour shift I only got to eat once today during that and it wasn't until half 5!! So because I didn't eat I reached 20.1 however I took correction and I'm okay now. Can't wait till I can leave this job and move and not have it play havoc with my sugars. I don't think people realise how dangerous this is for us no one offered to take the clients that were pouring in or deal with the calls or mistakes and then it half 5 and everyone disappeared! Annoyed

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
your employer has a duty of care to make sure you are healthy in your work environment--
you need to get a break and make sure you look after yourself

glad you are not getting quite the highs you were a few weeks ago :)

keep posting !!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep at it.
Something to maybe bear in mind is that once you do start to yoyo it can be a bit of a vicious cycle. It sounds like you are bouncing from very low to quite high and that can be absolutely exhausting and can take a while to flatten out.

Something that may help is to try and make smaller corrections one way or the other so that you don't bounce or crash quite to badly. Your average may creep up a little bit but if you can smooth the curve out a little bit it then becomes a bite easier to bring it down to where you want to.

Also try not to beat yourself up when you have bad days. Try and learn something from it then move on to the next day.

You have had one hell of a roller coaster and I am sure it cannot be easy for you but it seems to me that you are already making some great changes and you will do wonderfully.

Have you managed to get any kind of D education at all? DAFNE has been mentioned and I can highly recommend it. While you wait for that there is also the BDEC course which is online and you can sign up for that and do it in your own time, it is excellent at giving you some of the basic tools that really can help.

All the best and keep doing what you are doing now, it will come right for you.

A

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Keep at it.
Something to maybe bear in mind is that once you do start to yoyo it can be a bit of a vicious cycle. It sounds like you are bouncing from very low to quite high and that can be absolutely exhausting and can take a while to flatten out.

Something that may help is to try and make smaller corrections one way or the other so that you don't bounce or crash quite to badly. Your average may creep up a little bit but if you can smooth the curve out a little bit it then becomes a bite easier to bring it down to where you want to.

Also try not to beat yourself up when you have bad days. Try and learn something from it then move on to the next day.

You have had one hell of a roller coaster and I am sure it cannot be easy for you but it seems to me that you are already making some great changes and you will do wonderfully.

Have you managed to get any kind of D education at all? DAFNE has been mentioned and I can highly recommend it. While you wait for that there is also the BDEC course which is online and you can sign up for that and do it in your own time, it is excellent at giving you some of the basic tools that really can help.

All the best and keep doing what you are doing now, it will come right for you.

A
Hey, thanks Andy.

I went on a carb counting course a while ago but my dr is looking into more for me. My lantus feels tricky because sometimes it's the perfect amount and sometimes it's not enough. It was all great readings until I had one hypo last week in the night and I corrected that and woke up hi instead and since then it's been good then mid teens then good then mid teens. At a loss!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey good to hear from you - have you tried any other background insulins ? I had an issue with Lantus so changed to Levemir which was ok but far from perfect, eventually went onto Tresiba, much flatter, lasted longer and with your working hours it could help you much more. Andy is right taking smaller corrections would help hugely too, stop the yo yo effect which can be tiring, it will get better, have faith x

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, thanks Andy.

I went on a carb counting course a while ago but my dr is looking into more for me. My lantus feels tricky because sometimes it's the perfect amount and sometimes it's not enough. It was all great readings until I had one hypo last week in the night and I corrected that and woke up hi instead and since then it's been good then mid teens then good then mid teens. At a loss!!
Have you considered asking to try a different basal insulin?

It may be worth have some carb free periods during the day to see if your basal insulin is correct. I know I had all manner of problems with Lantus where I would hypo overnight then go high in the afternoons (I took lantus around 9pm). If I backed off the lantus then I could be level in the evenings but really climb high in the day and have to constantly correct with bolus. After keeping a pretty detailed log it was decided that the lantus was not running the full 24 hours and I was switched to levemir.

You really sound like you are starting to turn this around so try not to let the not being 100% perfect straight out the gate prey on your conscious. When I was diagnosed it took me months of trial and error to eventually find out what worked for me.
If it was easy then the Drs would get it right first time, it's really hard... that's why they leave it to us to figure out ;)

You will get there, just accept it will come and be patient but keep working at it one day at a time.

/A

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey good to hear from you - have you tried any other background insulins ? I had an issue with Lantus so changed to Levemir which was ok but far from perfect, eventually went onto Tresiba, much flatter, lasted longer and with your working hours it could help you much more. Andy is right taking smaller corrections would help hugely too, stop the yo yo effect which can be tiring, it will get better, have faith x
Just beat me to the alternate basal there :)

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you considered asking to try a different basal insulin?

It may be worth have some carb free periods during the day to see if your basal insulin is correct. I know I had all manner of problems with Lantus where I would hypo overnight then go high in the afternoons (I took lantus around 9pm). If I backed off the lantus then I could be level in the evenings but really climb high in the day and have to constantly correct with bolus. After keeping a pretty detailed log it was decided that the lantus was not running the full 24 hours and I was switched to levemir.

You really sound like you are starting to turn this around so try not to let the not being 100% perfect straight out the gate prey on your conscious. When I was diagnosed it took me months of trial and error to eventually find out what worked for me.
If it was easy then the Drs would get it right first time, it's really hard... that's why they leave it to us to figure out ;)

You will get there, just accept it will come and be patient but keep working at it one day at a time.

/A
I take 20 lantus at 10pm, but even without eating breakfast my bloods will climb higher. Yesterday was a bad day not eating till 5 and I climbed to 20. I was 16 today at lunch do took to cover my food and correction and I'm now sitting on the train starting to crash. But sometimes I take lantus and it's too much and I crash when I'm sleeping. I am so confused lol one friend suggested moving my lantus to 6pm every night instead?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I take 20 lantus at 10pm, but even without eating breakfast my bloods will climb higher. Yesterday was a bad day not eating till 5 and I climbed to 20. I was 16 today at lunch do took to cover my food and correction and I'm now sitting on the train starting to crash. But sometimes I take lantus and it's too much and I crash when I'm sleeping. I am so confused lol one friend suggested moving my lantus to 6pm every night instead?
a lot of it is experimenting with different times of day for basal dose and splitting.
you should always consult your DSN first and talk it through before making any changes.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much detail are you keeping in your BG diary?

If you are seeing a regular pattern of lows overnight then high in the day then it suggests one of a few things. It could be as simple as you needing to move your basal earlier or you may need a different or split basal insulin.
Something else to consider is where you are injecting your basal insulin, I tend to go into my legs or bum with that since it absorbs slower and I seem to get a smoother profile.

Then of course there is another possible answer in that you may well have different basal requirements between day and night. I know I certainly do and it has varied between 5 and 17 units difference at times between day and night.

If you have a good log of what has been happening then I suggest you may want to go and see your DSN, if possible try and get her email address (some do give those out like mine) or phone number and then discus trying a different basal insulin.

Just be patient, you will get there but it will just take a little bit of experimentation to get there.