How much exercise do you do?

New_Type_2

Hi - just curious as to how much exercise you all do? I've read exercise is a must (for those who can) so good but too much will cause your blood glucose to temporarily increase so bad. I just wondered what your good was and if you ever had a bad.

My testing kit arrives today so I'll be able to find out if a 10km run is bad which I'll be super happy to give that up. Though knowing my luck it won't be.

Thank you.

Reactions: 3 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Swimming 40 lengths twice a week, have an cross trainer at home which I use every other day. Always walking and itching to get out and start gardening - just waiting for the weather. I am on my feet all day at work, but would love to have more time for leisure pursuits as I love the outdoors.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would estimate somewhere around 10-12 hours a week. That includes heavy resistance training (weight lifting) 5-7 days and 10-20 miles/week (usually spread out as 3-6 mile runs). I probably walk an additional 10-15 miles a week but don't really count that as exercise.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Usually 3 hours of a week of resistance training, plus walk about 30 miles a week and occasional additional gym sessions.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I walk 10-15,000 steps virtually every day. I did start jogging a few weeks ago, but only did it for four days. I intend to start again when the weather gets a bit warmer.
I don't know how it affects my BS levels as I only test once, first thing in the morning

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've built up over time and now do two 4 miles walks a week, four 1 hour sessions on the exercise bike and then as I work from home, sitting at a computer all day I usually do 5 minutes with a resistance band every hour. I basically take Sundays off of exercising and on a Monday morning my BG will be slightly higher than normal because of it. To be honest I have only experienced lows after cycling and make sure that my bg is between 7.5 and 8.5 before I start as this seems to be the optimum for me to prevent being under 3.5 after.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I move around a bit, but for me that's the fine tuning or finesse on anything I try. Any time I become somewhat over enthusiastic or manic about exercise, I try to remind myself of the words of Dr Asseem Malhotra who states,

"You can't out-run a bad diet."

I'll go along with that. :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Until last April I did nothing, but since then I built up to swimming 800m x 4-5 times a week. Cut down to 600m after starting pump (October), and now I'm in week 2 of the couch to 5k program with the aim of running a local 5k event this summer.

Since the start of last week I have been swimming 3 mornings a week, running (walk/run at this early stage, strictly speaking) 3 mornings a week and a long bike ride on 1 day per week. And on both of my rest days I walked for half an hour...... to the pub.

And I'm loving it. The exercise, I mean, not just the pub.

In terms of a rise in blood glucose - the swimming makes me go up for 2 hours afterwards, the running (only half an hour, half walking half running) keeps me very stable, and cycling makes me just crash. I'm type 1 on a pump (I notice you're type 2) so I can tweak my insulin to try to match my peaks and troughs. That's the theory, anyway, although I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Bottom line, though? Exercising, when carried out safely and appropriate to ability, is, I would say, definitely a good thing. It's a very new part of my life but I'm so glad I do it.

:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
60-90 mins walking a day through the week and around 120 mins on a Saturday & Sunday, don't do gyms or the like.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Exercising is crucial to my keeping control of my diabetes as it lowers my BG levels. I walk every day for approx 40mins, try for twice daily but always at least once daily. In addition I have 3x 1.1/4hr - 1.1/2hr walks per week. ( instead of 2nd 40min walk ) Run up and down stairs at home and generally try to move as much as possible. If I miss out my walks because of weather or illness it affects my levels by 1.5-2 points

Reactions: 6 people

Bakerjass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi - just curious as to how much exercise you all do? I've read exercise is a must (for those who can) so good but too much will cause your blood glucose to temporarily increase so bad. I just wondered what your good was and if you ever had a bad.

My testing kit arrives today so I'll be able to find out if a 10km run is bad which I'll be super happy to give that up. Though knowing my luck it won't be.

Thank you.
Hi Teakwon-do for 1 hour on Monday and 2 hours on Fridays and stretching through the week.

P

paula.nolan42

I have a sedentary job and life in general, so I am making it a point to get out every day (or as often as possible) for a walk - I walk 5k from my town to the next and that takes me an hour. Im hoping that if I keep it up it will get easier and I can walk for longer and possibly start to jog too

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I swim around 45/50'lengths 4 times a week plus 2 gym sessions. Was told on course that muscle work is very important for diabetics. Took decision to fit my life around the exercise so it happens! So swim at 6:40am 4 mornings a week, gym at the weekend - it works for me

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3 weight training sessions, 1 personal training session, 1 insanity class and 2 spin. Hate running with a passion cos I look and sound like a baby elephant.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An average of 80 miles a week on bike, 25 miles running, and lots of walking around the classroom or into the city centre.

Reactions: 6 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I'm an Outreach Worker so have a job where I am walking all over the place every day. I walk between 10 and 12 miles every week just between the projects I oversee.

I have been 10 stone for years ! So basicly I just walk a lot.

I do the odd press up !