Do I have diabetes?

princesss01

Hi, during my pregnancies I suffered with Gestational Diabetes due to BMI over 30. My daughter is now 2 1/2 and I did a random blood check this morning with old kit (out of date lol!) I had a reading of 9.2 :shock: Just started Slimming World yesterday and did have high carb meal! Shall I see what it is like next week after losing a bit of weight?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to the doctors and get tested. Only way to find out...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As Patch says, go to your GP and discuss.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
See the GP or just possibly, since you have a history of Gestational diabetes, You might get an appointment at the diabetes clinic.
Hana

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
depends when you done the test,was it just after eating?within 2-3 hours as you would need to test more often to get an average.i tried a meter for a while but the readings made me depressed so i stopped using it and when i had my 3monthly bg levels checked my average was 6

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Anything that you did using ot of date strips is useless.
If they're out of date they could be 10 pts under, or 5pts over.

If you are worried about the possibility of diabetes, get yourself a new set of strips, and do a fasting test as soon as you wake up. That should be below 6.

Since you've had GD with your previous pregnancies, it might be worth going to your GP to ask about a Hba1c test every year / 6 months or so.
This teat measures an average of your glucose levels over the last 90 days.

A reading of 9.2 after a high carb meal isn't anything to worry about.
According to the WHO Diabetes is likely if you have a reading over 10, or 11 from a capillary (finger).

Other things can cause a raise n Blood Glucose levels too. Bottom line, if you're at all worried, see a GP. They don't just drink at college... Honestly. :)

princesss01

Hi, thanks for the replies, I have since been to my GP and she took some blood and booked me in to see diabetic nurse on Weds. I am now using in date test strips and my morning readings are still high, but not as high as in the 9's like my 1st was. Readings when I wake have been 8.4, 7.6, 7.7 and 8.7 which I know are too high so it's inevitable that I have diabetes :cry: I have tested after meals and they vary between 4.4 and 8.3 depending on meals etc. I have been following slimming world diet and gone easy with my carbs. What meds do you think they'll give me? If I lose weight will this help? I have a fair bit to lose BMI 39. :shock: Is it normal to feel a bit nauseous at times? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

princesss01

Think I have diabetes?

I had Gestational diabetes with 2 pregnancies and I did a random test last week 9.1 when I woke up. I have been doctors and had blood tests and am now awaiting app Weds to see diabetic nurse and to get my results. Readings when I wake have been 8.4, 7.6, 7.7 and 8.7 which I know are too high so it's inevitable that I have diabetes. :cry: I have tested after meals and they vary between 4.4 and 8.3 depending on meals etc. I have been following slimming world diet and gone easy with my carbs. What meds do you think they'll give me? If I lose weight will this help? I have a fair bit to lose BMI 39. :shock: Is it normal to feel a bit nauseous at times? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Princess, I think it's quite hard to answer the question about meds etc as everyone is different and the Doc will (hopefully!) treat and prescribe based on any test results. Ref: your nausea, do you mean in general or when you have tested and been high?

PS - losing weight can't fail to help as it will improve your general health :D as for helping you if you are diagnosed with diabetes, then I'm sure a dietician will help you with appropriate food choices, in line with any meds you may be given. I have done Weight Watchers with great results, so diets of that nature can work with (or without!) diabetes :p

Hope you find some answers soon :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Princess

Only your doctor can give you a conclusive diagnosis of whether you are diabetic or not.

Although I agree that some of your numbers are in the diabetic range (above 7.2 mmol/l) please note that the numbers you get with home testing are usualy slightly higher than the numbers your doctor gets when testing for fasting blood sugar. This is because home testing uses capillary blood (usualy from a finger) while a doctor will draw blood from a vein. The two are not the same in terms of blood glucose levels. Also home testing monitors are not that accurate.

If it turns out you are diabetic then I expect you will not be prescribed any medication at first but rather given a period to deal with it with lifestyle changes alone i.e. diet and exercise.

Losing weight usually brings about a marked improvement in insuline resistance, as fat is a lot more resistant to insuline than lean muscle.

Here's hoping that you are not diabetic after all.

Regards

Pavlos

princesss01

Hi, thanks, no I don't feel nauseous all the time, occasional that's all, thought I might have something to do with bs fluctuating? What is ok for wake up readings for diabetics?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the latest UK guidelines, T2 diabetics should aim for a maximum HbA1C score of 7.5% and blood glucose levels between 4 - 7 mmol/l. for any reading taken first thing in the morning before any food is taken (fasting blood glucose level), and blood glucose levels of no more than 8.5 mmol/l for any reading taken two hours after any meal.

Regards

Pavlos

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
pavlosn said:
Also home testing monitors are not that accurate.

My home testing monitor is fab and very accurate (if it's not, then I want a re-count! :wink:) and I use mine to keep myself healthy and well, alive! If you keep the batteries updated there is no reason to think that home test kits can't give you an accurate BG reading when you need it :D

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debloubed

Try taking two consecutive readings with your monitor using blood from the same pinprick. Are they the same?

Regards

Pavlos

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
pavlosn said:
Hi Debloubed

Try taking two consecutive readings with your monitor using blood from the same pinprick. Are they the same?

Regards

Pavlos

Yep! I have had my doubts before in the past but I have conducted several tests and swapped meters and tested the same finger at the same time on 2 different meters and got the same result :D I agree that they are no always 100% reliable and you will get the odd rogue result, but I use mine multiple times in one day and find that is works, and my Hba1c is 5.7 which tells me I must be doing something right :p Lets hope so anyway! :lol:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Debloubed

Well done on your glyceamic control! :)

I am not trying to undermine people's confidence in their monitors, I was only pointing out that they do have accuracy limitations (these are acknowledged by the manufactures) compared to a lab test and that for the purposes of diagnosing rather than monitoring diabetes, one should rely on a lab test.

I use my own monitor a number of times a day and it has been an invaluable tool in allowing me to gain glycaemic control. My latest HbA1c was also 5.7. Snap! :D

I personally find that my Bayer Contour will not always replicate the same score if I take two consecutive readings from the same drop of blood. Usually, when I try to take such readings, I get a variance of about 0.5 mmol between them. As far as I am concerned this is plenty accurate enough for the purposes of my day to day monitoring.

Interestingly, on two occasions I also compared my monitor's readings with the blood glucose count I had professional done at a lab (the lab technitian let me test a drop of the blood he had collected from me for testing). On both occasions the lab score was 0.5 mmol lower than my monitor.

Regards

Pavlos

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hmmm, very interesting reading Pavlos! I have 4 meters at home so I may conduct a little experiement this evening....... :wink: in the grand scheme of things a variance of 0.5 is ok, but what about when I test before driving for example (ie: every morning!) - the difference between 4.0 and 4.5 at that time of day would be a worry for me.........but having said that, my target is 6.0 so I don't tend to be too low in the mornings - phew! But, you never can tell what's going to happen next :eek:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Debloubed

Just realised your a T1. As such I guess the accuracy of the count is much more critical for you.

I am a T2 on metformin and I keep hearing that I am not at risk of hypos. If I go low my liver will dump glucose to compensate apparently. :eek:

I did manage a 3.5 mmol score though. :shock:

In the last month, my fasting glucose reading have ranged from 4.2 - 5.3 mmol. As I follow the count with breakfast before driving I do not really worry about whather these readings are out by 0.5 mmol.

You being T1, makes that 5.7 HbA1C even more impressive by the way. Really well done! :D

Regards

Pavlos

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ahh, the liver is pretty amazing at times! It will dump glucose in everyone at times of need, as long as it has the reserves to do so :p

BG of 3.5 is defo hypo though?!

but yes, accuracy of count is pretty important to me, but then I would say that is the case for anyone using a meter, otherwise why would you test at all?! There was another thread started on the Type 1 forum on here yesterday about other uses for a BG meter in the future - interesting reading!

5.7 was my last 'score', have just had my 6 monthly tests done and have a review this week - fingers crossed! I have to say the 5.7 was probably a fluke :wink:

All the best,

Deb :D