Steroid injections before c-section

Carole_Type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

I'm booked to have a planned c-section on Wednesday at 37 weeks +3 days (mainly because of my Type 1 diabetes and the baby is stuck in the breech position!) My obstetrician has arranged for me to have a couple of steroid injections before the operation, one on Monday and the second on Tuesday, to help mature the baby's lungs. I've heard that steroids can make blood sugars go high and I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this (& how bad it was) and has any advice for keeping levels under control using a pump and CGM? I'm getting a bit anxious because I've worked so hard to keep my sugars within range throughout pregnancy and I know its really important in the hours before labour to keep them as level as possible to minimise the risk of the baby having a hypo straight after birth.

Thanks!
Carole

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've had them in both pregnancies-daughter now 2 and twins 5m all born 35w by c sections. I've been on a pump for about 6yrs too.
The steroids do hurt a bit so beware but my blood sugars didn't rise too much. I just tested a lot and bolused a correction if necessary. If you do find they are rising you could set a temp increase on basal for a couple of hours?
Make sure you have hypo remedies and your test kit nearby after section.
Good luck!x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of interest, how did you manage to get a c-section?
I've asked for one and got told no. I'm T1 as well and also have Polyhydramnios

Claire x

Carole_Type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Sarah, good idea to set the pump at an increased rate to combat highs and ill make sure I take in lots of post-birth snacks :)

Carole_Type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Claire, the plan was originally for me to have an induction at 37 weeks but a combination of factors led my obstetrician to decide two weeks ago that c-section is the best route: 1. my baby has been in breech for several weeks and is showing no signs of turning 2. he already weighs 8lbs 3. he has a big head (!) which would make a natural delivery painful for both of us.

I don't know much about polyhydraminos or whether a csection is standard procedure with this but I believe you can request one if this is your preferred route - have a chat to your consultant to decide together what is the route with the least risks for you.

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply that makes sense.
I'll see how it goes, she may change her mind as time goes on.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Claire x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My first one was emergency section after a failed induction which wasn't pleasant-I had severe pre eclampsia. I opted for a section second time with my twins. They honestly aren't an easy option. Well for me they weren't anyway. X

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people, liars, bad time keeping and mushrooms
Hi Carole_Type1, I had my section 2 weeks ago at 36+6 and went in for steroid injections at 33+4. We were going to be induced with a possible section, which ended up as a semi emergency semi elective as baby's tummy was on the bigger side and eventually my fluid tripled in 2 weeks. She came out weighing 8.3 lbs

The steroid injections spiked my levels to 15.7 at the highest. I was in hospital for 2 nights, coming home late on the evening of the third day, I had to keep an eye on my ketones as well as they rose to around 3.0. I was concerned as you are but I got the, down sharpish and my baby came out strong and healthy. My levels were well controlled throughout the pregnancy but she still had to go to NICU for two nights with low blood sugar, but she was a lazy feeder too so they needed to feed her through a nasal tube. It was hard to leave her but it was for the best and she was soon back with me and her daddy and we haven't looked back since xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had steroid injections to help my babies lungs, because she was an emergency at 33 weeks, I was given it in my leg, but I can't remember BS at that time. Good luck, I hope all goes well :)

moodwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Betamethasone and Dexamethasone steroids usually require an increase of 150-200% insulin. Am curious to know why they're being given after 35 weeks gestation as there is no scientific evidence for increased surfactant levels in neonates lungs after that gestation with no reduction in rates of RDS or TTN...? Hope all goes well for you both, make sure you feed him/her early and frequently and that you get a referral for hip clinic before you leave the hospital

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My baby was born at 36+6 by c section, following two steroid injections - and she had "wet lungs" and needed surfactant treatment. The simplified explanation given to me from the surgeon was that this isn't unusual in c section deliveries as any liquid remaining in the lungs isn't squeezed out as they travel down the birth canal like in a vaginal birth.