Type1. Newly diagnosed last week but cheerfully optimistic.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I am safe with my nighttime levels can I avoid hypos for the most part. Or is their always going to be times when I just drop randomly and have to experience those effects even with careful dieting?

Hypos are always a risk for Type 1s. That doesn't mean you're going to have lots, it just means you have to be prepared for them :) If you test frequently, you can spot your blood sugar going down. You'll also get used to 'feeling a bit low' before you have a hypo, so you can eat something and avoid a hypo.

If youre newly diagnosed, your body may still be honeymooning and making some insulin itself. This can occasionally cause hypos too. But again, forewarned is forearmed :)

Reactions: 2 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Originally when I was diagnosed I was scared. I went to the doctor feeling fine but with a few symptoms. Dry mouth. Leg cramps and weight loss. The weight loss I thought was partially my doing as I had changed my eating habits and started drinking more water and have an active job (security). What I found out though was that I'm a type 1 diabetic. Had a overactive thyroid and was anemic.

So hello my name is Ben, I'm am 26 and a type 1 diabetic. Originally I was scared for my future as I thought that my life was just cut short. When I went in my blood sugar was hovering around 360-420 and I had high ketone levels. After being forced to go to the ER to forcefully bring down my levels I have begun the rest of my life and working with this condition. I have switched to a mostly low carb diet and currently eating very bare bones and healthy while I wait on an appointment for a dietician next week to get something a little better fleshed out. I have brought my levels down and currently wake up between 70-100 and hover between 100-140 the rest of the day. I do sometimes spike close to 200 since I am figuring out how my body reacts to thing (the biggest offender being steel cut oatmeal but I will make it work), but for the most part I changed all my eating habits for the better and have not looked back.

Currently taking 15 units of levamir twice a day, and I am supposed to be taking 1 unit of humalog (I believe it's the fast acting one) for every 15g carbs I eat for the three big meals a day. Although I am finding the levamir keeps me relatively balanced so it's very weird to me to use the humalog as the long lasting levamir does its job. Although my insulin might change as my insurance is throwing fits.

Day by day Iv been feeling better as the insulin and the medication have been bringing me back up to snuff (apparently my normal feelings before were me at a low as I feel great now). As Iv been feeling better the feeling of dread I originally had is going away and being replaced with a more positive attitude. While this is not what I would have chosen for my life I am working to minimize its effects and not let it hinder the plans Iv made for myself. My biggest problem is my inability to tell others close to me about what's going on. I have told my family and some close friends but I just can't bring myself to tell anyone else. It's a weird feeling.

Writing this took another weight off my chest as just branching out to others and reading the dialogue between people going through what I am has really helped. It made me want to make an account and share.
9f8a9a8428246e26c84dadf7b9f833b4.jpg

Hi bud and welcome to the diabetes gang ;) I was diagnosed type 1 last year and like you thought it was the end of the world but its really not,we just have to be more vigilant then the average person,as long as we take control of our condition why shouldn't we be living normal lives right :) I for one am the healthiest I've ever felt with the diet change and the exercise routine sugars are well controlled,ya I treat myself now and again ;) be ya all the best bud.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Update: Wanted to toss out a quick update and once again say thank you to all of you who have made me feel so welcome. Out of every place I have seen offering a diabetic community and discussing this has been the warmest and most welcome / informative (only place I felt I would like to talk in). I got my meds situated. I am taking Toujeo : Novopod. So far have been really balanced. My levels have went down to normal levels through hard work and diet change I have been sitting around 70-140 throughout the day with an occasional spike to 160 / 170 while I test foods and quantities and work out my low carb diet. Yesterday was the first day since I was diagnosed I went out and got a real meal and after checking the restaurants carb guide and eating it's the closest I have felt to normal since this journey began.

Reactions: 6 people

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the best to you Ben ! Keep going son ! You'll crack this ! Life style changes , and great support on here !! Don't get fed up ! Embrace it , and remember you're the boss in control !! ;)

Deanuz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome dude :) honestly I wish I found this forum sooner the people here are so nice friendly and inviting it's good to hear advice from diabetics so make sure you ask away :)

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know about the honeymoon period but i am having a weird situation with my insulin / blood sugar levels (not bad). Iv changed my diet completely and after my body adjusted i have found I have no need for my fast acting insulin....novopod. My levels are maintained between 80-140 (only popping up slighlty higher if I eat something off my diet (darn you bite sized awesome snacks). Even then i might go 160 and then drop right back down. When I do take the fast acting i always begin bordering on a hypo. This was not the case at first but now even if i lesson the dose (on 1 unit per 15 carbs). I still drop into the 70s and get the shakes. My long acting is Toujeo. Can anyone help me make sense of this. Even if my body is still producinf some insulin..with my numbers I feel like i am running way to efficiently. I had a weak moment today and binged on breakfast a little and still no issues.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 27, diagnosed last year, and in a very similar situation to yours.

You'll find that most people with T1 need to inject at least 10-15 minutes before a meal to avoid large spikes. I've found that I have to be careful with this as it can cause me to hypo and actually inject either just as I begin to eat or sometimes 10-15 minutes after. I also prefer to give myself multiple shots (if needed) rather than one big corrective dose to avoid hypos like the ones you're almost having.

The honeymoon period is ultimately a good thing, but it has its small drawbacks. The fact that my pancreas still makes some insulin means i have to follow much different rules in timing my injections.

Btw, am I right to assume you live in the US judging by your mg/dl blood sugar numbers? Here in the US we measure in mg/dl while in the UK they measure in mmol/l. The quick conversion is to divide by 18. So a reading of 90mg/dl would equal 5mmol/l

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 27, diagnosed last year, and in a very similar situation to yours.

You'll find that most people with T1 need to inject at least 10-15 minutes before a meal to avoid large spikes. I've found that I have to be careful with this as it can cause me to hypo and actually inject either just as I begin to eat or sometimes 10-15 minutes after. I also prefer to give myself multiple shots (if needed) rather than one big corrective dose to avoid hypos like the ones you're almost having.

The honeymoon period is ultimately a good thing, but it has its small drawbacks. The fact that my pancreas still makes some insulin means i have to follow much different rules in timing my injections.

Btw, am I right to assume you live in the US judging by your mg/dl blood sugar numbers? Here in the US we measure in mg/dl while in the UK they measure in mmol/l. The quick conversion is to divide by 18. So a reading of 90mg/dl would equal 5mmol/l
The issue i am having is i am running almost perfect and only run into issues when i actually use the fast acting. Thats when i drop to borderline hypo levels. Everything else corrects itself close very normally.