SWINE FLU THREAD

allan101

Hi Friends,
I am curious to how this plays out as you move closer to the equator. I am 5 degrees north of the equator in Thailand. Obviously, less vitamin D fluctuation. I work in a school. Four students came down with H1N1! last week, but probably contracted it while traveling. The nurse says there 100,000 confirmed cases in Thailand. Haven't checked up on that. Taking her word for it. Is there a world map that shows H1N1 infection as a percent of populations by latitudes?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Just had it, & while I was there I mentioned the Self Management conference & got in a plug for emotional support for the newly diagnosed, & for a sensible reduced carb diet contrary to what we are all told.

Its beginning to hurt after 20 minutes. Nurse said her arm swelled up.

Katharine

Steven and I got our swine flu jags last week. The sore arm and armpit lasted 4 days, so you've a while to go yet, Ian!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Not aware of it this morning, unless I press it. Slept well, & fasting BS 4.8.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
hi i had flu jab last week yesterday i started feeling really rough sore throat bad headache and high temp which seems to have improved a bit today left with a very sore throat i was wondering if anybody knows if it is due to jab is it catching to other people reason for asking is my daughter is due to have a baby today and i will have to go and look after 3 little grandchildren id be grateful if anyone knows

debbietowns

Swine flu jab CAUSES diabetes?

Hi,

My 12 year old had his swine flu jab, and 10 days later, was out of the blue, diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic.

The diabetic nurse explained to us that diabetes can be triggered by an infection or illness. My question is. It it possible that the vaccination CAUSED or was the trigger for the diabetes.

Has anyone else suddenly become diabetic after the vaccine?

My younger child has to have her jab next week and i have to make the decision as to whether to allow her to have it.

Thanks for any input.
Debbie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Swine flu jab CAUSES diabetes?

This information from official website.

The vaccine is not live and cannot cause swine flu.

Are there any side-effects?
All vaccinations can produce side-effects such as redness, soreness and swelling at the site of the injection. Flu vaccines can cause symptoms like fever, headache and muscle aches, but they are much milder than the flu itself and only last a day or so.

But how can we be sure these new vaccines are safe and effective ?
Pandemrix (single dose) and Celvapan (dual dose) are both licensed vaccines. Similar vaccines containing another flu virus strain (H5N1) have been clinically tested in trials involving over 5,000 people, including older people. When they licensed the vaccines, the European Commission carefully considered all the evidence and recommended that they could be used. The trials show that people tolerate the vaccines well and produce enough antibodies to provide protection.

I also know of no cases of Diabetes being caused by the Swine Flu Vaccine.

If you have any real doubts discuss with your HCP. Personal opinion here, I would go for it.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
No reaction & no discomfort.

chrissieworne

Hi all

Had the Swine Flu jab this morning, :!: it was painless but after 10 mins stung like hell :evil: altough that wore off after 30 minutes. This evening my arm feels sore in the muscle but no worse than the norm flu jab, fingers crossed for tomorrow !!! :)

Chrissie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Had the jab on Friday, slightly sore arm Saturday/Sunday. No reactions, no real pain, just a bit of discomfort. No problem ! :D

manofkent99

My experience has been very similar to those reported by others. Usual discomfort followed by intense burning sensation, local swelling and soreness for about 72 hours. Thereafter all seems to be OK.
I now trust that I do not catch H1N1 but if I do the effects should be minimised.

broxiebear1

well, i was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago ,and as i was offered seasonal and swine flu jags i took them and guess what no symptoms watsoever ,well looks like the swine and the season will be leaving me alone :)

Yvette18

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had both the seasonal and swine flu jabs on the same day. It was the first time I had ever had a flu jab of any type.

I was ok until about 3am when I woke with extreme chills, I put the heating on and my dressing gown on in bed, but still couldn't get warm.

By the morning I had a temperature and aches and pains, within 24 hours I was feeling back to normal.

I'm not sure if it was having 2 jabs at the same time or because it was the first time, that caused me to have a reaction. I'm just happy that I won't get a severe dose of either flu if any at all.

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had mine 2 days ago, my blood sugar levels have risen over the last two days, up to 7.1 from my normal 5.5 to 6. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ken

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Knapweed said:
Had mine 2 days ago, my blood sugar levels have risen over the last two days, up to 7.1 from my normal 5.5 to 6. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ken

I had a slight rise after my seasonal flu jab this year, haven't noticed that before.
After the swine flu jab on Friday morning however I had 3 unexpected hypos. Saturday knew I would be more active so reduced morning Levemir slightly just in case. Sunday readings suggested I needed the higher dose again. Back to pre-vaccination doses on Monday and readings as expected. Not sure if it's the jab or "just one of those things". Just had a sore arm Friday pm to Sat pm.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Well I think I must be soft because my arm was very sore last night ( dogs were cuddling up on the sofa and it was painful).
Also started with a sorethroat early evening and woke up this morning sneezing and warm.

Tested this morning prior to eating and its 5.9 so was happy with that.

Its got to be a co-incidence right :?:

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had my seasonal jab a month ago and the swine flu jab yesterday morning. No reaction to the seasonal whatsover and with the swine flu jab I have just had an itchy arm and a large bump under the skin where I had the jab but nothing else so far. Sugars were 6.2 this morning so no rise there. So all good in my world....

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I had the swine flu vaccination on Thursday and apart from my arm feeling as though it was bruised and a stiff shoulder I have been ok.