Does anyone get this?

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
When you blood sugars are out of control for no reason do feel suicidal?

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No, but if you are feeling this way I strongly suggest you speak with your consultant Asap and ask for help.

pshawfocus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get suicidal but I do get immensely frustrated when they aren't behaving as expected. Unexplained and persistent lows or dogged highs which I can't seem to shift. Then everything seems to reboot and I'm back to normal. Equally annoying but gratefully received.

pshawfocus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry itchy trigger finger - I agree with Tim2000's - book an appointment now or if more acute, see if you can call out of hours diabetic nurse / clinic.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do remember that fluctuating blood sugar levels can do horrible things to your mood & ability to think rationally. If you are feeling suicidal tonight contact www.samaritans.org and in the longer term seek help from your diabetic team.

Simon_Soanes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get really low and depressed when my sugars drop to low , I can't keep them as low as the doctors like because of the dark feelings that come with it . Despite how some people dismiss diabetes as no big deal it is one ***** of a disease and can leave you feeling isolated . Don't be to imbarresed to seek help and there's always someone here .

Reactions: 6 people

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
i very often feel reel bad when all is not good, but not to that extent. I was very bad lately and was referred for a pump. I did not get one. After a change of insulin to something worse, they have now changed me again to some other insulin and its great. DAFNE course is good to go on, it improves control and makes you feel better. Speak to your healthcare team.

Reactions: 4 people

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Things will definitely get better, this is just a passing phase. don't ever give up!!!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi James122. Sorry you are feeling like this. Is it only when your sugars are low you feel like this?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get like this through my teenage years. (When my diabetes was a lot less controlled than what it is now) I used to hurt myself out of frustration.
It does get better.

The fact that you said it happens when your sugars are out of control is a good sign as you know what's causing you to feel this way.
I'm a very stubborn person so I changed my outlook when I felt this way and focused my bad thoughts towards my diabetes instead of myself as a person. Your diabetes does not define you as a person and is something you can control, not something that can control you.
Knuckle down and channel your energies towards better control and you will start to feel better.

I do agree with everybody else in saying that you should seek professional help on top of this but it is a starting point.

All the best Claire x

Mark_Goldenfield_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When your blood sugars are all over the plaice, it definitely changes your moods . I have been diabetic 33 years and high and low sugars makes me feel awful , speak to your consultant and get all the advice you can .

Reactions: 5 people

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh God, yes. BG - either too high or too low - affects your emotions. Never forget, insulin is a hormone and just like any other hormone, a misbalance can bring suicidal thoughts forward.
The most important thing at that point is to remember you're diabetic and not act on the thought. It's the sugar talking - not you - and you have a precious life to live.
I used to keep pictures of the things I loved to do on a board by where I tested my blood. Somedays, I just needed the visual reminder that for the majority, my life is good. Maintaining a BG was just one thing that wasn't optimized out of many that were great.
Good luck, my friend.

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found if difficult to balance mental and physical health. Sometimes people expect sugars to be perfect but they never are. Getting stressed about it has always made things worse for me. I have just had to accept where I am now and making gradual improvements to get things better. Anyone who wants to force this process quicker by lecturing me is on a losing battle. At the end of the day it is my body. I have heard that dafne course is good tho.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Frustrated but never suicidal. Things going out of control are just part of the disease, assuming that eventually get things under control. My focus has been on my HBA1C rather than each BGL reading.
There are plenty of support services that you should consider to get you through.

Carolemc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite suicidal-but often close.
I do not get suicidal, but get extremely frustrated when my levels go helter skelter for no reason, and eve, even if idn more so when non diabetics try to help with suggestions that i know wont work. I keep a food diary every day along with my readings and what insulin i take. NO 2 days are alike even if i do the same or similar activity. I've been diabetic for 33 years.. So frustrating.

TrevorFisher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i do get mood swings, mostly when bg is high, lows bring the normal anxiety, bad temper etc,etc.
I however did feel suicidal a few years ago, after checking, i discovered the pills gp had given me to help me sleep due to disc problems had suicidal thoughts as a side effect, Dumped them pretty quick after that; AND JUST STOPPED MY WIFE FROM BEING GIVEN THE EXACT SAME PRESCRIPTION. GP'S don't you just love them.

amitriptyline