What do people on LCHF eat for breakfast?

jonty1

Most mornings I have Spinach and button mushrooms fried lightly in olive oil, scrambled egg with cream added. sardines or mackerel. Greek feta cheese. With a sprinkling of ground flax seed, cinnamon, turmeric, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and Ryvita. Every now and then have bacon instead of fish. I never really get bored with this as it is now routine. got diagnosed 8 months ago and my readings have been really good. due to go to the doctor's next month for blood tests again to see how I have done over that period.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Add almonds to your diet. Based on one of the studies, metabolism showed that consuming an ounce of almonds straight before eating a meal high in sugar brought a type 2 diabetic person a 30% reduction in his/her glucose level after meal. In addition, individuals with type 2 diabetes who done fasting overnight with almondsincluded in their meal showed a lowering of blood sugar post-meal.

Nuts such as almonds revealed to be of great help in maintaining healthy levels of blood glucose and cholesterol in both men and those of post-menopausal women who were suffering from type 2 diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

Tin of mackerel in olive oil, full fat Greek yoghurt stirred into frozen black cherries and frozen blueberries (yummy - the berries freeze the yoghurt as you stir them in, and I can kid myself it's icecream! :)

D

debrasue

Add almonds to your diet. Based on one of the studies, metabolism showed that consuming an ounce of almonds straight before eating a meal high in sugar brought a type 2 diabetic person a 30% reduction in his/her glucose level after meal. In addition, individuals with type 2 diabetes who done fasting overnight with almondsincluded in their meal showed a lowering of blood sugar post-meal.

Nuts such as almonds revealed to be of great help in maintaining healthy levels of blood glucose and cholesterol in both men and those of post-menopausal women who were suffering from type 2 diabetes.
This sounds like good advice!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Eggs. Or some cheese, or some cold meat..or maybe all three:D

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't see this thread the first time round but I think its a great one.

I can't face a large breakfast in the mornings so I'm ringing the changes from Greek yoghurt with berries, sprinkled with flaked almonds and flaxseed, to Greek yoghurt with fresh, stewed, unsweetened rhubarb with almonds and flaxseed or half a Lidl's high protein roll toasted and topped with cold leftover poached salmon mixed with mayo.

I've also discovered I can eat a small blood orange without spiking so I sometimes have one chopped and sprinkled with coconut, and a dash of cream or spoon of yoghurt.

Also almond porridge when it was very cold and I wanted something warming and comforting

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Beef Sausage or bacon 2 fried eggs and fried tomato (Coconut Oil for frying).

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm a sardine man (in olive oil) for work breakfasts , on the weekend I have celery sticks and chicken bits. Quite boring for some to eat the same thing every morning, but as it doesn't spike me I can live with it long term :-0

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mon-Fri: coffeencream (doing Intermittent Fasting)
Sat-Sun: some egg/bacon/good sausage combo

Sadly, any carbs at all (e.g. yog and berries) sends me too high in the mornings when my insulin resistance is at its worst.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
On work days I usually have Greek or Turkish yoghurt with a teaspoon of sugar free flavoured syrup and on days off I either have nothing at all (and a big dinner) or a large brunch of eggs, bacon, high meat content chipolata sausages, mushrooms and tomatoes (but then only have a fairly light dinner).

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
10g of goji berries, 30g of almonds, 30g of flaxseed, 100g of low fat yogurt, 14g of cocoa powder, 1 small sugar free jelly all mixed together, around 22g of carbs ( tastes better than it sounds lol )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

cruiksl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been having Greek yogurt with linseed and berries. Very yummy and filling. Also means I can take it to work and eat it there

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Surely better advice for Type 2's would be not to eat a high sugar meal in the first place?
As for breakfast my vote goes for nothing apart from a cuppa.

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What sweetners do you all use and what is the best fruits to eat. Im on the Slimming world diet and she has said only two pieces of fruit and if i do have carbs only brown seeded bread one slice and wholeweat pasta but very very small amounts. Its going really well and i feel so good anout myself. Trying to conquer this through diet first.

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't a great breakfast eater (unless on holiday) until I was diagnosed with diabetes and ordered(!) to have breakfast. I generally used to east fruit, usually bananas, waffles or even a slice of plain cake. I' retired so I don't have to worry about (lack of) time any more which makes life easier.

I vary what I have now, sometimes Greek yoghurt with blueberries and a few almonds or walnuts, or a sprinkle of flax seed; or a small crispy chicken thigh with greens and/or a cherry tomato; or a bit of rolled ham with goats cheese and (usually) some greens; or some roast beef from our local shop, again with a few greens; or "porridge" made from flax seed, cream or mascapone cheese, and butter & egg, and I'll be trying this with ground almonds after this week's shopping too. ( I also like my bacon and tomatoes, and am going to add black pud to this as well.) So anything I fancy and can face eating at this time of day, really.- I don't believe in rules about what breakfast should consist of! :)

I've found recipes for pancakes which I'm going to try this week, and am looking for low carb waffle recipes too if I can find a nice cheap waffle maker to cook them in.

Robbity
Ideal World (the shopping channel) has a one day offer on a waffle maker today @ £20.
http://m.idealworld.tv/pp/Giles-Posner-Flip-Over-Waffle-Maker-366110

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
10g of goji berries, 30g of almonds, 30g of flaxseed, 100g of low fat yogurt, 14g of cocoa powder, 1 small sugar free jelly all mixed together, around 20g of carbs ( tastes better than it sounds lol )
Oh my word @philchap1 - that sounds amaaaaazing! I have a small jar of homemade yoghurt mixed in a bowl with the equivalent amount of sugar free strawberry jelly and a sprinkle of Splenda for pudding every night - thanks to you, tonight I will be adding FLAXSEED AND COCOA (will of course adjust carb count accordingly)!

:hungry:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Typically soft boil eggs with french butter, avocado, a slice of cheese and sometimes mushrooms.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
!/2 avocado smashed with sea salt and celery or a small turkey/lettuce wrap with mustard and mayo. I have to eat a very small low carb low everything BF as I am also very IR in the morning.

I LOVE salmon with a little mayo!!

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I'm never hungry when I wake up , don't fancy anything just a coffee, the thought of food that early makes me heave. But have always been told I should eat something so I used to eat [reluctantly] Greek yoghurt and raspberries.

No longer ~ it's my body, my choice and I don't think it does me any harm not to eat until lunchtime when I have a full meal followed by a snack in the evening. ~ I do it that way round as I don't exercise as much in the evening and can't work food off, it's better for my blood sugar levels., although I'd rather leave my full meal until the evening but hey you have to give in to some things ;)