Carbs & sugars

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to remember a thread about LCHF and resulting lack of hypos?

Robbity

As a T1 I would always hypo and then spike when I ate carbs. Back to under 20 (probably more like under 10 most days) per day and no hypos but also MUCH less insulin

Reactions: 3 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been VLC for 25+ years (under 20) and I am even lower carb now, just a small salad at dinner and 1/2 and avocado and I feel better than ever. I would never eat a potato or rice or any such carby food and not because I don't like them but they make me feel awful and not just from a BS stand point. stomach ache, sleepy etc. To each his own but carbs are not a required food group. Some people just enjoy them....
I am an advocate of vlc just not no carbs. For me studies on animals are not the same on studies on humans. Every animal has a different makeup. I will continue to limit my carbs to 30g per day. It is interesting that you get stomach ache when you eat carbs because if I do not have enough carbs I get stomach ache and get very sleepy. (Im type 2 diabetic so my Dr says but I have doubts that I do not swing into type 1 and type 2s) Oily fish make me vomit. Not because I dislike eating them just they do not agree with me. Good luck with your diets, Hopefully when you die you are leaving your bodies to medical research to improve the information we have about human makeups and dont have to rely on animals. I am. I eat a whole avocado with salad practically every day. Sometimes skip breakfast for a coffee with double cream or eat bacon and eggs. Eat lots of fish and chicken and lots of green veg with added fats or cheese. I know how much and how many calories I eat because I log all my micronutrients. I also know how much protein and how much fat I eat. I make sure I eat my fat limits and my carb limits within my calorie counts. I am not a no carb dieter its just wrong for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am an advocate of vlc just not no carbs. For me studies on animals are not the same on studies on humans. Every animal has a different makeup. I will continue to limit my carbs to 30g per day. It is interesting that you get stomach ache when you eat carbs because if I do not have enough carbs I get stomach ache and get very sleepy. (Im type 2 diabetic so my Dr says but I have doubts that I do not swing into type 1 and type 2s) Oily fish make me vomit. Not because I dislike eating them just they do not agree with me. Good luck with your diets, Hopefully when you die you are leaving your bodies to medical research to improve the information we have about human makeups and dont have to rely on animals. I am. I eat a whole avocado with salad practically every day. Sometimes skip breakfast for a coffee with double cream or eat bacon and eggs. Eat lots of fish and chicken and lots of green veg with added fats or cheese. I know how much and how many calories I eat because I log all my micronutrients. I also know how much protein and how much fat I eat. I make sure I eat my fat limits and my carb limits within my calorie counts. I am not a no carb dieter its just wrong for me.
I gave up counting macronutrients a while ago. It would be difficult to do anyway since I don't know exactly how much fat and protein are in the ribeyes I eat. Some people can handle plants, but for me they are not good for my intestinal system. I noticed a huge improvement when I went zero carb. And my brain is working just fine without carbs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with your diets, Hopefully when you die you are leaving your bodies to medical research to improve the information we have about human makeups and dont have to rely on animals.
Well i don't believe i am an animal (per se) and i believe my meter, my stomach and my energy. That are the 3 most important things to me. I balance my meals according to all 3 and frankly, i think fiber is over rated. I like the fiber in avocado but MANY other fibers cause issues. Every bodies tolerances to every food is individual. I would love to eat all kinds of carbs but obviously isn't going to happen. I love my proteins and fats and the veggies i do eat so i am good to go. You are what you DIGEST, not what you eat and just because some of us can't digest tons of veggies does not mean our guts are messed up. It just means we can't digest them and perhaps lack the right enzymes. It's our individual make up, it does not mean we are messed up, IMO

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think anybody needs to donate their bodies to science to prove that carbs aren't necessary. The Inuit and the Maasai have been proving it for thousands of years.

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a very complicated process and I'd need a chemistry degree to fully understand it, but our bodies do make glucose from fat. A triglyceride is basically three fatty acids bound together by a glycerol molecule. That glycerol molecule can be converted into glucose to provide energy to the brain.

As mentioned, people on a zero carb diet aren't void of glucose, and gluconeogenesis (by definition) also plays a role in converting substances other than carbohydrates into glucose, particularly protein. While I've seen figures that cite as much as 70% of undigested protein can be converted into glucose, that's not to assume that glucose necessarily enters your blood stream. Many studies have found strong evidence to support the concept that glucose converted from protein is a much slower process (perhaps 24 hrs or longer), and (aside from type 1 diabetics) rarely resulted in hyperglycemia. Furthermore, it seems that same glucose (originating from protein) was effective at addressing hypoglycemia.

The concept almost suggests that glucose from protein and carbohydrates has a similar relationship to basal (protein) and bolus(carbs) insulin in how they're each processed by the body. It's a loose comparison I know, but certainly one I find very interesting.

reidpj

It's a very complicated process and I'd need a chemistry degree to fully understand it, but our bodies do make glucose from fat. A triglyceride is basically three fatty acids bound together by a glycerol molecule. That glycerol molecule can be converted into glucose to provide energy to the brain.

As mentioned, people on a zero carb diet aren't void of glucose, and gluconeogenesis (by definition) also plays a role in converting substances other than carbohydrates into glucose, particularly protein. While I've seen figures that cite as much as 70% of undigested protein can be converted into glucose, that's not to assume that glucose necessarily enters your blood stream. Many studies have found strong evidence to support the concept that glucose converted from protein is a much slower process (perhaps 24 hrs or longer), and (aside from type 1 diabetics) rarely resulted in hyperglycemia. Furthermore, it seems that same glucose (originating from protein) was effective at addressing hypoglycemia.

The concept almost suggests that glucose from protein and carbohydrates has a similar relationship to basal (protein) and bolus(carbs) insulin in how they're each processed by the body. It's a loose comparison I know, but certainly one I find very interesting.

You may be interested in the following which discusses the very likely possibility that we can also make glucose from the fatty acids derived from triglycerides: http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2012/01/we-really-can-make-glucose-from-fatty.html

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors assume being overweight causes type 2 diabetes. The truth is high insulin causes insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes and weight gain at the same time. Insulin is an anabolic hormone that when elevated, causes you to store glucose as fat rather than burning it. When you gain fat, it causes even more insulin resistance as well. The cause of high insulin is eating too many high glycemic load carbohydrates. If you learn the glycemic loads of foods, you can eat low glycemic and burn fat, lower blood sugar and insulin. Just get a book or phone app on glycemic load of foods.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We need no grains, potatoes, rice, processed sugars, etc. When our DNA was developing, for 5 million years we ate no grains, dairy, processed sugar, or soy. The fruit and vegetables we ate were super low glycemic load. The total carbs we ate were the equivalent of 22 teaspoons of sugar a year. Now we are consuming over 22 teaspoons of sugar a day, in fact 1/2 pound of wheat and 1/2 pound of sugar a day is the national average. High insulin, from eating high glycemic load carbohydrates, is what causes most all chronic diseases - obesity, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, cancer, inflammatory diseases, and dementia, especially Alzheimers. 1/2 pound of wheat has the same effect on your blood sugar as eating about 3/4 pound of table sugar. That's why we're diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you not eat fruit? No fresh fruit has high glycemic load. It's mostly fructose which does not raise blood sugar. Note dried fruit is high but fresh fruit is low. http://adrenalfatiguesolution.com/fruits-lowest-glycemic-load/

Where do you get the idea that fructose does not raise blood sugar? Fructose is sugar. It ends in "ose" Anything ending in "ose" is sugar. Fructose itself is possibly worse than other "oses" because it is thought to be a cause of fatty liver. I personally seem to be susceptible to it. . A single plum sent my levels rocketing, similar with too many strawberries/ raspberries/blueberries.

reidpj

Hi
Doctors assume being overweight causes type 2 diabetes. The truth is high insulin causes insulin resistance and weight gain at the same time. Insulin is an anabolic hormone that when elevated, causes you to store glucose as fat rather than burning it. When you gain fat, it causes even more insulin resistance as well. The cause of high insulin is eating too many high glycemic carbohydrates. If you learn the glycemic loads of foods, you can eat low glycemic and burn fat, lower blood sugar and insulin. Just get a book or phone app on glycemic load of foods.

The glycemic index/load is all about how much a certain food raises blood sugar; the insulin index concerns itself with how much a certain food raise insulin levels - protein sn't benign where insulin is concerned: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The glycemic load is what matters, fruit doesn't have enough fructose to spike blood sugar, that's why it has a low glycemic load. Dried fruit, concentrated fructose will.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Far as protein goes, protein causes an insulin rise, but if there are no carbohydrates, it actually lowers blood sugar. I was put on a diet by my doctor to eat animal protein every 3 hours. My HbA1C went down 2% where most diabetes drugs like Victoza can only lower HbA1C 1%. So raising insulin with animal protein has a positive effect on blood sugars, plus I lost 11 pounds.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen the carb content of some fruits? a banana has 23g of carb per 100g why would I want to eat that?
My husband who is T2 eats a banana every day with some greek yogurt he also has porridge and two slices of Burgen toast with reduced sugar jam every morning for breakfast his levels are better than mine averaging 5's when he has his HbA1c tests. I only eat a little Burgen bread a couple of times a week never have eaten cereals and I only have the occasion fruit maybe a clementine and my average is in the 6's

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
The glycemic load is what matters, fruit doesn't have enough fructose to spike blood sugar, that's why it has a low glycemic load. Dried fruit, concentrated fructose will.

Sorry, an erroneous statement. It absolutely does spike blood sugar levels for many people.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Tell that to those who regularly see double figures after they consume it.