Type1. Not feeling too great

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone

I've been diagnosed since January 2016. Was admitted to hospital before diagnose because they didn't know what what wrong with me... When I was diagnosed I was really emotional, and the nurse said I will be for a while... I'm still getting really emotional and down.... I'm normally a bubbly happy person so this to me is so hard and weird, to be crying all of the time :(
My question is, if you felt emotional and like you life had come crashing down...How long did it last till you were back to your normal self?

x

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Markham_K, welcome to this forum. It is natural that we feel emotional n down when we are first diagnosed. Look positive. Set up your mind n determine to find back. How long it take for u to come out from your emotional set back, it depends on you. If u look positive and believe in yourself that u can overcome it, the sooner u will come out from this emotional set back. This forum hv many ppl willing to listen and advise u.

Reactions: 6 people

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
Hi Markham. Was diagnosed a year ago Type 1. Yes, your world is crashing down. Thought this was the end of a fun living life. I am during the winter months a Scuba Diver instructor and traveled through South East Asia for the last 15 years. Thought it was all over and finger pricking would be only thing left to do. Got pretty depressed first few months. But then took the Bull(Diabetes) by the Horn and did whatever to control it. Low Carb & Carb counting .Join forum`s like this one .Read all what I could get about Type 1 on the Net. After 7 months still packed my bags and traveled through Asia. Just came back. Have good control now (HBAC 5.8 %) and I just accept it as a part of my life (No other choice, isn`it ? ) Finger pricking, Insulin injecting, take it as other daily routines like brushing teeth , taking a C;). etc etc. Of course its never gonna be a smooth ride to control your levels, but life isn` t a smooth ride anyway . Lost my only son a couple years back in a accident, he was only 18. I just divorced, after 30 years of marriage. But with every tragedy in life, it goes on and try to make the best out of it. It s up to yourself what you make out of it, despite having this condition(I prefer condition instead of disease) It will get easier with time and your daily diabetes routines become` s second nature.(I hope for you ). Take care

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 18 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey what you are feeling is completely natural, I too like you, am a bubbly person, always like to see the best in people and life and my diagnosis left me tearful and questioning everything, try to take it in your stride, it will and it does get alot better, I tried to see my diagnosis as one of life's hurdles and if I could overcome it then it would make me a stronger and better person, thankfully I have, I try and do more for others now, not take things for granted and raise money for JDRF when possible (like doing a crazy parachute jump last year !)

What helped me the most was knowledge, so learn as much as you can, and to challenge myself more to do things i'd only dreamed of.

Talk too, that helps more than anything, this forum has been a lifeline for me, stay positive ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Give yourself permission for all of these emotions - not only are they natural, they are necessary. Hang on in there. And I wholly support the 'be kind to yourself' comment above.

There's a lot to take on board, but you will get there. And this forum is incredibly supportive - you will find lots and lots of help right here.

:)

Reactions: 7 people

Cauliflower_rice

I was diagnosed T1 in July 2015 via hospital admission and just like you, I felt like my world was falling down around me. It took 4 months before I actually visited a professional and didn't burst into tears... the stress of seeing these people and my limited understanding of this condition just showed in tears for me. I have to admit that this is a very individual journey - I focused on reading as much as possible about diabetes and taking control of what I could It was the knowledge that both empowered me and allowed me to take a more proactive role.... I focused on lower carbs, as well as understanding the potential physical aspect of diabetes on the body.... I have learnt to live each day and not have high blood sugars. I am very aware I have much to learn and I really enjoy reading other members comments as it allows me to see so many different views/knowledge and interesting points..... day by day. Remember there is always support out there, my diabetic nurse (who has been a rock for me) regularly refers to the Diabetes 15 healthcare essentials, number 15 relates to emotional and psychological support. So remember, its ok, just be and focus on each positive moment. xx

Reactions: 4 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I had pretty much a full week of crying. But that makes sense, I now see it as grief for my beta cells! It is hard to accept but we have to work through the emotions to teach acceptance and find ways to manage our condition as best we can. You'll get to a better place in time.

Bob991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in January 2016 just like yourself. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed in February 2016. So I'm on the the same rollercoaster of emotions x2. I think your BG levels play around with your emotions, a lot! At times I've wondered if I'm suffering with a spot of depression but I try to fight through it. I will not and can not let this beat me.
There is no time limit to our emotions, we just have to go with it. We are grieving for the life we once had. Now we have to look forward to the life we have got with a few added extras. Everything is still very new. Be kind to yourself xx
Hey everyone

I've been diagnosed since January 2016. Was admitted to hospital before diagnose because they didn't know what what wrong with me... When I was diagnosed I was really emotional, and the nurse said I will be for a while... I'm still getting really emotional and down.... I'm normally a bubbly happy person so this to me is so hard and weird, to be crying all of the time :(
My question is, if you felt emotional and like you life had come crashing down...How long did it last till you were back to your normal self?

x
I was diagnosed in July 1965. In those days Insulin was basic and from cows pancreases. I am now 67 and have been type one for 51 years. So now get yourself into reading all you can about type 1 and you will come back up. You can eat normal things . you just have to know how much carb is in it and your on your way. Chin up. It's never stopped me doing anything !!!!

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Diagnosed in September 2015, admitted to hospital found to be Type 1. To be honest I was feeling unwell for a long time before I was diagnosed and in the beginning was a bit emotional, I had great support from my crew and really good support from my GP, hospital, dietitian and diabetic nurse. Sometimes it gets a bit confusing and you can get lost in all the jargon and the fact it is a life long condition. The up side is with control I feel great 90% of the time and am happy I now know why I was feeling so ill for so long. Keep thinking positive and focused, relax and don't worry. There is so much help here.
Take care and good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I had pretty much a full week of crying. But that makes sense, I now see it as grief for my beta cells! It is hard to accept but we have to work through the emotions to teach acceptance and find ways to manage our condition as best we can. You'll get to a better place in time.
what @Diakat says is actually something I was taught about at diagnosis - it is called the 5 stages of grief
here is a link http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/
a diagnosis of Diabetes -- which is a lifelong diagnosis has many parallels with the grief of losing a loved one.

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you to everyone who has responded.. I'm am so grateful for your advice& for you to share your experience

You're all such amazing people
Thank you xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Cauliflower_rice

Spot on!

Cauliflower_rice

Diagnosed in September 2015, admitted to hospital found to be Type 1. To be honest I was feeling unwell for a long time before I was diagnosed and in the beginning was a bit emotional, I had great support from my crew and really good support from my GP, hospital, dietitian and diabetic nurse. Sometimes it gets a bit confusing and you can get lost in all the jargon and the fact it is a life long condition. The up side is with control I feel great 90% of the time and am happy I now know why I was feeling so ill for so long. Keep thinking positive and focused, relax and don't worry. There is so much help here.
Take care and good luck.
I hadn't realised how unwell I was until I started taking insulin on diagnosis.... which was a relief - in a strange way.