What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

debrasue

About stress... I didn't realise how much it affects BY until last night. Tested at 4.9 just before leaving work at 10pm. Got home and my husband was having chest pains so called 111 and they decided he needed to go to hospital. My BG at 3am was..... 12.4!! Yet I'd had nothing to eat or drink and had just sat on a chair for all that time. I only tested because it seems to be a routine hospital thing that, along with temperature and blood pressure checks, they were doing to everyone so it prompted me to check mine. Big shock! I suppose there's a possibility that it does this every night but I'm usually sleeping peacefully through it?

The poor woman in the bed diagonally opposite got an even bigger shock - hers was found to be 18.7. She was so confused and upset when the medics started asking her loads of questions about her BG - she had no idea that she might have D and was there for something completely unrelated.

BTW they sent my husband home at 5am with painkillers and told him it was stress and to have time off work. He won't believe the stress diagnosis and thinks he's pulled a muscle. Nothing REALLY nasty going on though, thank goodness. So, back to the main topic of this thread:

Day 5 of week one of 800 cal BSD. I haven't yet had any sleep but my BG before breakfast was back down to 5.4.

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish yoghurt with a teaspoon of hazelnut sugar free syrup

Lunch: @GeoffersTaylor 's Broccoli and Stilton soup

Dinner: @GeoffersTaylor 's Spinach bread with some ham and a pretty mixed peppers and fennel marinated salad.

Thanks for the great recipes @GeoffersTaylor
800 calories??? Wow - that sounds daunting!
I'm going to make @GeoffersTaylor's soup and spinach bread tomorrow, too - they sound delicious
I like the idea of the hazelnut sugar-free syrup - can you tell me more, please?
Thanks!

Reactions: 6 people

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
My meal plan today is as follows:
BREAKFAST
45g tomatoes
55g plum
5g pepper
50g cream cheese

MID-MORNING SNACK
6 Nairns Cheese Oatcakes

LUNCH
50g lettuce
50g tomatoes
50g cucumber
320g chicken - with fajita seasoning, garlic and turmeric - pan fried

DINNER
20g spring onion
140g smoked salmon - soy sauce to season (along with the spring onion)
50g broccoli
50g cauliflower
50g carrot

EVENING
50g mixed berries with 100g Plain Greek Style Yogurt
1 apple

This will put me at 86g carbs (I use www.caloriecounter.com) which I know many will say is too much. Here I hold my hands up a little to a piece of ineptitude. I thought the oatcakes were 3.7g carbs. Unfortunately I got this correct but it is per oatcake (8g) and thus, in reality 55g per 100g. I guess it is about learning )sighs). However, I think 85g of carbs and a daily intake of just 1,413 calories should still be OK (as I am simply trying to reduce weight from 15st 3lbs to 13st) and I do feel like this a day where I have got it better balanced. When I have eaten too high on the fat side for the last couple of days I have felt dissatisfied with my food and not felt that great. Definitely nicer to balance my meals with more salad and veg. If only my mid morning snack had been different I would have been down in the 60s maybe 70s for grams of carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
B- cup of tea
L- 1/2 protein cob with butter, cheese and boiled egg
D- will be roast chicken with steamed broccoli & butter, some Turkish yogurt with berry sauce..and added spoonful of bran to 'flush' it all down ;)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm going to make @GeoffersTaylor's soup and spinach bread tomorrow, too - they sound delicious
I like the idea of the hazelnut sugar-free syrup - can you tell me more, please?
Thanks!
It's a make called Monin (same as Costa use) and I got it from eBay. :)

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

B: 2 fried eggs, 1 slice wholemeal toast
L: Chicken, courgette, red & yellow pepper & half an apple in Caesar dressing; almonds, strawberries
D: (will be) Home-made Scotch eggs (with good quality sausagemeat from local farm shop), lambs lettuce & pea shoot salad, edamame beans
1468 cals, 54.8g carbs
Reading before breakfast 6.7, two hours after breakfast 5.8
Chronic water retention - waiting for the whoosh!!
Hmmm, update - reading two hours after lunch 8.3. Maybe the fruit?
Also, in searching for some help with the fluid retention and cramps, I found a blog by a medical consultant who suggested half an Oxo cube in hot water (to replenish lost salts). I tried that (9 cals and 1.5g carbs) and it certainly kept me busy this afternoon! ;-) Cramps have gone and my feet and ankles look a little better...

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Everybody
B. Raspberries and cream

L. 2 mini bel cheeses and half a Lidl protein roll buttered

D. 2 eggs, bacon , tomatoes and button mushrooms with a slice of bfree bread

Reactions: 9 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
About stress... I didn't realise how much it affects BY until last night. Tested at 4.9 just before leaving work at 10pm. Got home and my husband was having chest pains so called 111 and they decided he needed to go to hospital. My BG at 3am was..... 12.4!! Yet I'd had nothing to eat or drink and had just sat on a chair for all that time. I only tested because it seems to be a routine hospital thing that, along with temperature and blood pressure checks, they were doing to everyone so it prompted me to check mine. Big shock! I suppose there's a possibility that it does this every night but I'm usually sleeping peacefully through it?

The poor woman in the bed diagonally opposite got an even bigger shock - hers was found to be 18.7. She was so confused and upset when the medics started asking her loads of questions about her BG - she had no idea that she might have D and was there for something completely unrelated.

BTW they sent my husband home at 5am with painkillers and told him it was stress and to have time off work. He won't believe the stress diagnosis and thinks he's pulled a muscle. Nothing REALLY nasty going on though, thank goodness. So, back to the main topic of this thread:

Day 5 of week one of 800 cal BSD. I haven't yet had any sleep but my BG before breakfast was back down to 5.4.

Breakfast: Lidl Turkish yoghurt with a teaspoon of hazelnut sugar free syrup

Lunch: @GeoffersTaylor 's Broccoli and Stilton soup

Dinner: @GeoffersTaylor 's Spinach bread with some ham and a pretty mixed peppers and fennel marinated salad.

Thanks for the great recipes @GeoffersTaylor
Glad your husband's ok! It's quite disconcerting though getting high numbers when we haven't even eaten anything. I hope we all find ways to control the stress. x

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today:

B: Coffee with Double Cream
L: Water
S: Pepperami
D: Thai Fish Curry (Cod which I am reliably informed is native to the waters around Pattaya o_O) with Stir Fried Veggies

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its the variation of the Newcastle diet 800 calories for 8 weeks only. Some use food others use special diet shake drinks that has all their nutrients.

Reactions: 6 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled eggs with mushrooms
L: cold roast beef, rocket, coleslaw
D: coconut flour flatbread topped with shredded roast duck, courgetti and cheese then grill a bit like a pizza. I had lots of random things to use up; breadless pudding with plain choc chips.

Reactions: 11 people

Sallies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B- 1 slice of toast with peanut butter
L- salad, Philli and smoke salmon
T- 3 venison sausages small ones, mash sweet potatoes cabbage, green beans, sweetcorn, and peas.

Reactions: 10 people

Russetfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fresh tomatoes :(
B : Coffee and cream x2
L : Bacon, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms and 50% sugar reduced ketchup
D : Steak,celeriac chips,asparagus and peppercorn sauce.

Will probably have strawberries and cream and a hot choc later.

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
@adriangoatseye
Anything under 130gs is considered low carb. The vlc group aim for 20gs. My goal is 50g no less than 30 no more than 80g
Hi again

Many thanks for that Kyi. I seem to be doing OK then. Still not diagnosed either way. Not using any meters yet, Just getting to grips with diet. I upped my carbs a little because it seemed to help my fibre.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: flax, pumpkin and sesame seeds, slivered almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts mixed with spoonful of full fat yogurt
L: Lidl protein roll with cream cheese and proper welsh caerphilly (must stop visiting cheese fayres ;))
D: vegetable omelette, square of 85% dark chocolate

Reactions: 13 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday was a proper "fell off the wagon" kind of day.

Business meeting in faraway London, so taxi arrived at my house at 4:15am to get me to the station for the 5am train to a meeting that started at 9am. Meeting finished at 1pm, no lunch. By the time I got back to Euston I was very tired and very hungry.

B - (3:30am) - bacon & mayo
Second B (8am) - bacon, sausage & egg
2:30pm madness - 2 pints ale, Burger King bacon double cheeseburger with breaded chorizo cheese bites, jumbo sausage roll.
More beer on train - sleep.

Reactions: 11 people