Retinopathy test - First

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, I've got to go for my first retinotheraphy eye test on Wednesday and was reading the notes today, it says it stings and lasts approx 50 minutes. Does this test really hurt and also, a few people on here say they have tested positive for it for a couple of years, so is it really necessary? ie if people are tested positive for it do they get treatment? Sorry to sound so vague, I'm just a bit nervous and don't want to go through the test for nothing.:spitoutdummy:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the sting is the eye drops to dilate your pupils ( it lasts for 10-20 seconds)
eyes get a bit blurry as the dilation happens ( take sunglasses for after as eyes are sensitive to light for a few hours after)

the test itself is either just a retinal photo -- which is a bit like looking at the sun for 2 seconds
or that plus a doctor examining as well in which the staring at the sun feeling is a bit longer ( 1- 2 minutes )

all the best and good luck !

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If any changes are noticed they will monitor your eyes closely and will only offer treatment if its absolutely necessary, try not to worry.

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi jal16, I had my eye test a few weeks ago, I was so nervous at going , honestly believe me it is really nothing to worry about at all, if I had to go back it wouldn't bother me in the least. Yes the drops sting for 10-20 seconds I wouldn't call it stinging, its like when you have peeled onions that's all. My appointment was at 2-30 pm I was out at 3pm when they have put the drops in you have to wait about 20 mins then in you go for your test which takes only seconds, so no need to worry, I came out after wondering what the heck did I need to get worked up about, you will be fine. :)

Reactions: 5 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you himtoo, noblehead and amgrundy, you have made me feel so much better about this test, I've been dreading it since reading the hospital notes. Thank you for your support :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had mine a few weeks back as the others have said no great shakes and though mine also has proved positive no treatment required as yet. The only thing I found irksome was not being able to drive after the test so had to have some one take me there and fetch me home after.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had mine a few weeks back as the others have said no great shakes and though mine also has proved positive no treatment required as yet. The only thing I found irksome was not being able to drive after the test so had to have some one take me there and fetch me home after.
thanks, its so good to know that its not as bad as Id been imagining after reading the notes from the doctors. I have had to take a half days holiday for it and got someone to pick me up and take me home after it. But was dreading it to say the least before all the replies I had here. Thanks again. :):)

Dark Horse

The "stinging" is a bit like getting shampoo in your eyes and it passes quite quickly. Some people don't really notice it. The drops are used to dilate your pupil so the technicians can take a clear photo of your retina which is later examined for retinopathy changes.

Here us a youtube video showing what goes on during a screening appointment:-

The screening test is necessary because in the early stages of sight-threatening retinopathy there are no symptoms even though this is the best time to treat it. If you have a negative test result (either normal results or "background retinopathy") you will not need treatment and will be invited back for screening the following year. If you have a positive result (sight-threatening retinopathy) you will be referred to the Eye Clinic at the hospital for further tests to confirm the result and, if appropriate, you will be offered treatment.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have my second one booked for this Wednesday. Not the slightest bit apprehensive, just sorry I have to rely on a friend to take me there and bring me back home. Still, she's a fellow diabetic, so she understands and knows I'll do the taxi service for her. Don't worry.................:)

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have my second one booked for this Wednesday. Not the slightest bit apprehensive, just sorry I have to rely on a friend to take me there and bring me back home. Still, she's a fellow diabetic, so she understands and knows I'll do the taxi service for her. Don't worry.................:)
Hi June, thanks for your support. It's good when you have a friend to help who is diabetic too. One thing that my health centre doesn't offer is a transport service unless you're going to the main hospital, which they don't book your appointments at normally o_O Good luck with your test on Wednesday too :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my first test in April so I am grateful for the information and experience here. I get blurred vision sometimes so I am a bit worried if I'm honest. Good luck with your test.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have my first test in April so I am grateful for the information and experience here. I get blurred vision sometimes so I am a bit worried if I'm honest. Good luck with your test.
Hi, I have blurred vision too most of the day. Its weird as I used to have 20/20 vision until the last few months and then I was diagnosed as Diabetes T2. But I think that if you can get your BG under control it should get better so i've been told? Good luck with your test in April ;)

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi June, thanks for your support. It's good when you have a friend to help who is diabetic too. One thing that my health centre doesn't offer is a transport service unless you're going to the main hospital, which they don't book your appointments at normally o_O Good luck with your test on Wednesday too :)
How did you get on? My test was ok and I got the all clear :)

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How did you get on? My test was ok and I got the all clear :)
Hi June, I'm glad your test went well and your ok :). I'm such an idiot, I got the day wrong and I'm still not looking forward to it, its tomorrow :( I was feeling ok until I read its like getting shampoo in your eyes and I don´t really enjoy that :***:. I also dont know if I really want to find out if Im going blind. I do get pains in my eyes and my vision is constantly blurry. I just want to get it over with. It says on the letter that I won't know my results until about 6 weeks. :mad:

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Here's a little tip I learned from today. Yes, the drops do sting for a few seconds, but I was advised to keep my eyes closed afterwards and this would lessen the stinging - it did. After about 20 seconds I was fine.

I got friendly with the nurse/technician (don't know her title) and was able to view the images that she was looking at. I showed interest and curiosity and she explained what she was looking for. No problems were found and I was therefore able to avoid the long 6 week wait. She's technically not supposed to divulge these details and asked me not to tell.

I hope you have such a good nurse/technician as I have. If you don't get the results immediately, don't panic, they may be following the NHS guidelines and not divulging anything as per the rules.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here's a little tip I learned from today. Yes, the drops do sting for a few seconds, but I was advised to keep my eyes closed afterwards and this would lessen the stinging - it did. After about 20 seconds I was fine.

I got friendly with the nurse/technician (don't know her title) and was able to view the images that she was looking at. I showed interest and curiosity and she explained what she was looking for. No problems were found and I was therefore able to avoid the long 6 week wait. She's technically not supposed to divulge these details and asked me not to tell.

I hope you have such a good nurse/technician as I have.
Aw, thanks for letting me know. Ill try to get a look (if I can see) and see if I can get a hint of anything, thanks again. Ill keep you posted :nailbiting:

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was told that they look out for red 'spots'. The retina has lots of blood vessels criss crossing the eye in straight, curvy or wiggly lines. Any red spots indicate a leakage.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, its done!! :D Thanks for all your help and advice and warning of what to expect. It did sting as advised, but it didn't last too long. Although my blurred vision got worse as the day went on its much better now hence i'm on here :) There were a few of us waiting for the same eye tests and we got chatting as the nurse couldn't get the camera to work at first!! But I was so amazed at what little the others knew about diabetes. I am so pleased to have found this forum. There was a lovely elderly lady who said she had been diagnosed T2 in January this year and the nurse had told her to eat healthy and she was now having Kelloggs Frosties & Shreddies and even adding berries to it so shes getting her fruit :eek: I mentioned about carbs and stuff that I had learnt on here but she was adamant that her nurse had told her what she could eat as a healthy diet and shown her the sugar to look out for. The T1 lady just said she had been told she couldn't eat bananas which I said was probably because they're high in carbs but she just said that her doctor had told her that every Type 2 would end up on insulin eventually anyway. I asked the other lady what her BG level was when diagnosed and she said she didn't want to know as she didn't want to end up a glucocondriat?? (she was lovely). She said it was better not to know these things and didn't want a meter at all. It was quite an interesting day, I hadn't heard so much about conifers, fences, fox poo and jade carpets before ;)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Whilst sitting in the waiting room waiting for the drops to take effect, an elderly couple came in asking for leaflets as the wife had been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. The usual rubbish was given out, '"Just eat normally". I was itching to say something, but held back. I did manage though to attract their attention and suggest they became members of DCUK where they'd find all the answers to their questions.

I really do despair for the NHS at times and also the people that don't seem to understand how serious their diabetic condition is. It can be a life threatening if left un-managed.

I guess we're all different.................................