high blood sugars

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when should i worry about my sugars being high they havent been in single figures for a long time

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think there will be a specific point where you should or shouldn't worry......

having continuous blood sugar above the normal range will be doing damage, the severity of which will differ between everyone...

so all we can all do is try to keep them close to normal for as much of the time as possible so as to reduce risk.....

how long is a long time in this case?

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a good few months ive changed my diet and increased exercise i have also had my tablets increased to the maximum dose but still my sugars are between 10 - 20

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can empathise with that! I can get my sugars down, but it takes a lot of exercise and a low carb diet. Without both of these, my count is always 10+ and often in the teens. I've just taken a 15 miles cycle ride to get my count down below 7 (in fact it went down to 5.2 and now I have to get it up a little before I can go and drive). Much as I'd love to be able to do this every day, or every time I need to reduce my blood sugars, it's not really practicable.

Reactions: 5 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a good few months ive changed my diet and increased exercise i have also had my tablets increased to the maximum dose but still my sugars are between 10 - 20

It sounds like your taking care of the insulin resistance part well with the activity and oral meds, but it sounds like the actual insulin you are producing on your own isn't as functional as you would hope, if it keeps up, get to the docs to see what the next step is, possibly a long acting basal to begin with...

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @lesleyann

It is not so much a matter of worrying but you do need to get those levels lower.Are you or have you tried really restricting your carbs to 50g or less a day for a few days to see the impact on your BG levels?

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the nurse at the doctors had referred me to the diabetic clinic at the hospital with a view to put me on insulin but im still waiting to be seen and was worried that my levels were too high

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @lesleyann

It is not so much a matter of worrying but you do need to get those levels lower.Are you or have you tried really restricting your carbs to 50g or less a day for a few days to see the impact on your BG levels?
i have cut down or out most of my carbs but it has had little effect

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry @lesleyann just ignore me if I am being too nosy but what would a typical days food look like for you?

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lesleyann Id try cutting the yoghurt out, my sugars went high when I ate them. I am assuming you are eating the full fat yoghurt.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Lesleyann, are you having anything in between your meals? I know it sounds like we are harping on but sugars can creep in when you don't realise it. So, if you can write down exactly what you have for each meal? Is it just one yogurt for breakfast, no cereal or toast? Lunch, is it lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes alone or is there coleslaw, dressings like salad cream going on, do you have anything with the salad such as cheese? Dinner, is the chicken roasted or fried, which veg do you have with it - any pudding at all? All this will help us get a good picture - know you're worried about starting your insulin but in the meantime, let's see what we can do to help you with those numbers. Also any fruit (what type) or drinks?

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lesleyann, are you having anything in between your meals? I know it sounds like we are harping on but sugars can creep in when you don't realise it. So, if you can write down exactly what you have for each meal? Is it just one yogurt for breakfast, no cereal or toast? Lunch, is it lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes alone or is there coleslaw, dressings like salad cream going on, do you have anything with the salad such as cheese? Dinner, is the chicken roasted or fried, which veg do you have with it - any pudding at all? All this will help us get a good picture - know you're worried about starting your insulin but in the meantime, let's see what we can do to help you with those numbers. Also any fruit (what type) or drinks?
i am eating apples and oranges between meals one yogurt at breakfast veg is usually colli brocli and cabbage chicken is roasted no skin no coleslaw just a little salad cream try to only have a treat once a week

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
i am eating apples and oranges between meals one yogurt at breakfast veg is usually colli brocli and cabbage chicken is roasted no skin no coleslaw just a little salad cream try to only have a treat once a week
Have you tested the Oranges to see what they do to your levels they have spiked quite a few peoples on here a fair bit?

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tested the Oranges to see what they do to your levels they have spiked quite a few peoples on here a fair bit?
never gave the oranges a thought will test them next time thanks for all your help

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
most low fat foods are packed with sugar, so loose them and go for full fat versions. Watch out for unexpected carbs .. fruit, pasta, rice, bread, potatoes .. anything with flour in... Apple used to really increase my sugars and oranges were off the scale. I use full fat mayo .. & have a big spoon full every day, coconut oil and olive oil are good, full fat cream with blueberries and almonds is lovely.
Remember its full fat and Low carbs ...
You will get there, if you cannot do the LCHF way of eating then insulin will be good to have.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat oranges. satsumas etc. I can do berries (raspberries, blueberries etc) as long as I eat them at lunch or dinner, I can't tolerate them for breakkfast as they spike me too much then.

lesleyann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
most low fat foods are packed with sugar, so loose them and go for full fat versions. Watch out for unexpected carbs .. fruit, pasta, rice, bread, potatoes .. anything with flour in... Apple used to really increase my sugars and oranges were off the scale. I use full fat mayo .. & have a big spoon full every day, coconut oil and olive oil are good, full fat cream with blueberries and almonds is lovely.
Remember its full fat and Low carbs ...
You will get there, if you cannot do the LCHF way of eating then insulin will be good to have.
thank you for the advice