Blood tests

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
this is probably a silly question. but cannot contact my DSN's. Im due for my HB1ac, liver, LDL, HDL tests on Monday should I be fasting before this test?

Many thanks
J

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say no.........

Only because I have never had to do this for the test you mention above.......

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally do fast as it can affect Lipids, particularly Triglycerides

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would say no.........

Only because I have never had to do this for the test you mention above.......

You do if it's for a full lipid breakdown @novorapidboi26, as the OP mentions LDL/HDL it normally means a fasting period of between 10-12 hours before bloods are taken.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You do if it's for a full lipid breakdown @novorapidboi26, as the OP mentions LDL/HDL it normally means a fasting period of between 10-12 hours before bloods are taken.

I realise that, its just I have never fasted, and I get the full lipid profile each time I go to the clinic for testing......

so its obviously possible, but maybe less critical for some depending on age and medical history....;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I realise that, its just I have never fasted, and I get the full lipid profile each time I go to the clinic for testing......

so its obviously possible, but maybe less critical for some depending on age and medical history....;)

There was a debate in medical circles suggesting that a fasting check wasn't necessary, I might be wrong but I'm sure the outcome was that a fasting lipid check was more accurate than one which wasn't fasting, I know my diabetes team insist it's a fasting check if they are requesting a full lipid breakdown.

Reactions: 3 people