Muscle spams or start of seizure?

Emmaayziing

Hello

I've just had a hypo and it was different to others I've experienced. Type 1 for 5 years on apidra and lantus and hypoaware for background.

I was sleeping when I woke up, didn't check bloods just knew I needed to get something down me which I'm regretting since it would have been nice to know how low I was. When I was sat down trying to eat my head started doing this weird thing, I would start looking over my shoulder like there's something behind me and I'd briefly experience fear. Now it kept doing this repeatedly and when I'd check my head would twitch from facing foward to looking over my shoulder about 4-6 times rapidly in a row and then I would have a brief period where it would stop for 10seconds or so.

I found it funny at first but soon got freaked out as it was preventing me from eating/drinking. Boyfriend then got me to face his computer screen and watch the game he was playing so I had a focus point and that seemed to do the trick and the twitch/spasms stopped. I then had some extremely painful abdominal cramps.

Has anyone experienced anything quite like this? Or have they heard of it happening before?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there
I have not experienced the type of symptoms you describe in all my years of having hypos.
I have been unresponsive / unconscious but never twitching as you describe

hopefully we will get some further replies for you now the UK is up and about this morning :cool:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Emma, that's sounds very strange, I suggest you contact your DSN and advise them of this incident, i'm sure it's nothing to worry about but I think you need some re-assurance here. We all respond differently to hypo's I can sometimes get tunnel vision and very sweaty and the feeling I am very agitated when low, in the back of mind I keep telling myself it's temporary and it soon passes.

Question, do you know why you went low ? It's always good to reflect and understand what caused it to try and avoid it happening again ;)

Emmaayziing

Hi Emma, that's sounds very strange, I suggest you contact your DSN and advise them of this incident, i'm sure it's nothing to worry about but I think you need some re-assurance here. We all respond differently to hypo's I can sometimes get tunnel vision and very sweaty and the feeling I am very agitated when low, in the back of mind I keep telling myself it's temporary and it soon passes.

Question, do you know why you went low ? It's always good to reflect and understand what caused it to try and avoid it happening again ;)
Thank you, I know I've had one before where I've woken up during a hypo and my dream had been about doing a call back for a customer at work and I must have been half lucid because I was extremely worked up that I couldn't do the call back and I kept running the scenario through my head and them had to tell myself constantly it was a dream to stop myself hyperventilating! It might have been a similar thing again but I can't remember what the dream was about.

I think it's because i had an active day. We spent all morning in a homeless shelter sorting hundreds of cans including heavy lifting so it was a lot of physical exertion and I didn't factor it in really since it's not something I often do!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done for helping at the shelter.

Keep a bag of jelly babies in your pocket to keep your BG levels up, I do this when I am skiing or cycling and cannot test but every so often will have one just to keep levels up ;)

Reactions: 2 people

MeganFatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Emmaayziing, I don't know if this would be similar to what you've experienced but I've had a "twitching" sensation when experiencing an extremely fast hypo. I felt like I'm twitching when actually I am snapping in and out of awareness. I would lose focus and one moment I'm trying to drink or eat sugar, the next moment I would snap back into awareness and be looking in a different direction. I felt like I was twitching. My family simply describe it from their point of view as having a spasm or shaking, as my eyes go unfocused. Does that sound similar to your experience?

Emmaayziing

Hello @Emmaayziing, I don't know if this would be similar to what you've experienced but I've had a "twitching" sensation when experiencing an extremely fast hypo. I felt like I'm twitching when actually I am snapping in and out of awareness. I would lose focus and one moment I'm trying to drink or eat sugar, the next moment I would snap back into awareness and be looking in a different direction. I felt like I was twitching. My family simply describe it from their point of view as having a spasm or shaking, as my eyes go unfocused. Does that sound similar to your experience?
Thanks for your reply! I was fully conscious during it so I think its different from what you're describing. I spoke to my boyfriend yesterday when he got home from work and asked him how much my head was actually moving when I could see how scared he was in his eyes. Probably because he didn't want to worry me. Apparently he asked me at one point when it was happening if I was having a seizure and I replied something like "No, I don't think so, my head just won't stop, hold it/me". I can kinda remember myself saying it.

I can't think of what else it could be, googling (which we're all guilty of) says they were myoclonic jerks and I've seen phrases like partial seizures and Neurohypoglycemia thrown around. Gonna wait till my DSN appointment to discuss. It was just weird and quite frightening. Probably scarier for the boyfriend to witness but in the moment it doesn't phase him since he knows he has to be strong for both of us to stop me worrying.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hello

I've just had a hypo and it was different to others I've experienced. Type 1 for 5 years on apidra and lantus and hypoaware for background.

I was sleeping when I woke up, didn't check bloods just knew I needed to get something down me which I'm regretting since it would have been nice to know how low I was. When I was sat down trying to eat my head started doing this weird thing, I would start looking over my shoulder like there's something behind me and I'd briefly experience fear. Now it kept doing this repeatedly and when I'd check my head would twitch from facing foward to looking over my shoulder about 4-6 times rapidly in a row and then I would have a brief period where it would stop for 10seconds or so.

I found it funny at first but soon got freaked out as it was preventing me from eating/drinking. Boyfriend then got me to face his computer screen and watch the game he was playing so I had a focus point and that seemed to do the trick and the twitch/spasms stopped. I then had some extremely painful abdominal cramps.

Has anyone experienced anything quite like this? Or have they heard of it happening before?

Hi there,

Yes I get this when having a bad hypo. I can not keep my head still when trying to focus and it jerks up and down or from side to side.

The same happens to my hands and arms. I remember having a hypo whilst eating my lunch at a cafe once and was not able to use my knife and fork.

Once I have had a quarter bottle (small) of lucozade I will be ok in about twenty minutes. These are bad hypo's though !

Also I can have difficulty in walking as my legs jerk and it feels as though I am walking on air as I can not feel the ground beneath me !

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks for your reply! I was fully conscious during it so I think its different from what you're describing. I spoke to my boyfriend yesterday when he got home from work and asked him how much my head was actually moving when I could see how scared he was in his eyes. Probably because he didn't want to worry me. Apparently he asked me at one point when it was happening if I was having a seizure and I replied something like "No, I don't think so, my head just won't stop, hold it/me". I can kinda remember myself saying it.

I can't think of what else it could be, googling (which we're all guilty of) says they were myoclonic jerks and I've seen phrases like partial seizures and Neurohypoglycemia thrown around. Gonna wait till my DSN appointment to discuss. It was just weird and quite frightening. Probably scarier for the boyfriend to witness but in the moment it doesn't phase him since he knows he has to be strong for both of us to stop me worrying.
bless you hun -- i know my wife has had to witness some strange behaviour from me with hypos -- i have imitated a hoover before and actually thought i was pennywise the clown from the stephen king novel ( complete with voice ) :eek: so well done you for posting and I hope you can get sorted :) [[[hugs]]]