Sports massage training question

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my sister is currently studying sports massage at college, this evening she messaged me to ask me about pain threshold. She was taught this evening in class that it was unwise to massage a person with diabetes but if they really wanted help to get their doctor to give consent and go careful as they have no pain threshold and she could hurt them. She questioned was there a difference for diabetic type or was it related to complications and the reply was that they could diagnose wrong and do more damage as diabetics have no pain threshold.
I have been diagnosed for 5 years and I'm on a pump, I run and go to a gym and most certainly feel pain.

Having only my own experience to go by I can only tell her I've never heard this before. Can anyone shed any light and why she has been taught this?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
interesting question -- i am one of the biggest babies on the planet and certainly feel pain.
i would not hesitate to go for a massage and I am currently going for physio on my shoulder

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm guessing this is about the dangers of injuring someone with neuropathy...?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get occasional massages and the places I go to take my money just like anyone else.

I generally ask them to avoid my Dexcom sensor (that rarely gets sore), but other than that I've never had a single issue.

C

catherinecherub

Hi, my sister is currently studying sports massage at college, this evening she messaged me to ask me about pain threshold. She was taught this evening in class that it was unwise to massage a person with diabetes but if they really wanted help to get their doctor to give consent and go careful as they have no pain threshold and she could hurt them. She questioned was there a difference for diabetic type or was it related to complications and the reply was that they could diagnose wrong and do more damage as diabetics have no pain threshold.
I have been diagnosed for 5 years and I'm on a pump, I run and go to a gym and most certainly feel pain.

Having only my own experience to go by I can only tell her I've never heard this before. Can anyone shed any light and why she has been taught this?

Many thanks
It is all about the insurance that trained masseurs need because you are paying them for a service
Some insurance policies are very strict regarding treatments for people with chronic conditions/pregnancy/people in remission from conditions and the like and if you phone up beforehand to make an appointment and admit your condition you are advised to get a letter from your G.P. to state that it is safe for you to have the treatment.
A medical questionnaire is often used before treatment is started and you can be refused treatment without a letter.

If you feel that the treatment will not affect you then do not mention your condition but then if anything goes wrong you will not be covered With most diabetics anything that stimulates the circulation may affect blood pressure, neuropathy and that is what salons are worried about. There are no separate policies for different types of diabetes or whether you are well controlled or not.
This pain threshold nonsense she has been told does not apply to all diabetics but some who have advanced neuropathy would not be able to feel the massage on their legs and feet and the masseur would not be able to include this part of the anatomy in the massage.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crikey, I've got the worst pain levels ever. All pain is felt and is intolerable.

I would say back that it is untrue.

Diabetics with neuropathy can feel incredible pain!!
Diabetics can lose feeling in their feet though from vascular changes and thats why we should have our blood flow/feelings in feet checked each year...

Incidentally I used to pay the Welsh Rugby Team sports massage chap to pummel me black and blue (literally sometimes). My legs could be blue for a few days later...just to try and stop paon in them and my hip.s. He had no problem at all and knew I had diabetes as I had to sign a medical form and questionaire and my pump was always attached too. The pain actually turned out to be intolrance to aspartame and sweeteners and medication!!

Reactions: 2 people