why do i need to pay for my test strips as doctor will not prescribe

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get 50 strips a month on prescription, which the nurse told me is "the T1 standard prescription". Yet T1s in other areas get 100 a month.

Kate, This does not follow the NICE guideline of testing a minimum of 4 times a day for T1s
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...adults-diagnosis-and-management-1837276469701

"1.6.10 Advise routine self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for all adults with type 1 diabetes, and recommend testing at least 4 times a day, including before each meal and before bed. [new 2015]"
4 x 30 = 120 a month

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Kate, This does not follow the NICE guideline of testing a minimum of 4 times a day for T1s
True, but between us we could probably fill a book with the NICE guidelines not followed by HCPs. :(

Reactions: filly

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True, but between us we could probably fill a book with the NICE guidelines not followed by HCPs. :(
Take a copy in with the highlighted section and ask for more, see if you get them. They can only say no and you will be in no worst off.

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery was very honest with me and said they can't afford to prescribe strips for people not on medication that increases the risk of hypos: I would much rather this than what some people have had where their HCP has tried to dissuade them from testing with ridiculous reasons

I fund my own strips and meter as I choose to test and fully understand the need to reduce the burden on an increasingly over stretched NHS (they recorded the fact that I'm a self funded tester on my notes)

However, I'm fortunate in that I can afford to do so and I do think that there should be provision within the NHS to provide strips for people who are unable to afford them

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can not afford to test but I sacrifice some thing to get them. To me the are vital in managing my diabetes. I have held off getting a large supply but I bit the bullet and have 500 in bulk to save some money. After they have gone I will review if I still need them and if I need to test so often. Right now Im getting my sugars down from 9.4 and need to know what foods spike.

It is a shame the NHS can not see past not affording to prescribe. IMO if they spent 6 months worth of test strips on a patient to get down their BS it is worth the expense of not having to treat the conditions left from poorly managed diabetics. There has to be ways they can save money by spending money.

That all said I agree they should be honest enough to say Im sorry we can not afford it.

Reactions: valann and phil1966

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have to test whether I can afford it or not as I simply cannot risk confusing the symptoms of one of the conditions I have with the symptoms of the other it is possible for me to end up seriously ill if I do. Just have to convince my GP of that.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
I must be one of the lucky ones,my Dr issues prescription on monthly I only get 50 but grateful for that,I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me .

C

chris lowe

My surgery won't prescribe test strips for T2s on Metformin. It all depends which CCG you come under. If over 60 your meds will be free, if under there is a form to fill in to exempt you from charges, so I don't object to paying for test strips & lancets. I get mine from eBay but you need to search out best deal.

Edited to remove unfounded accusations as to who is selling prescribed strips.

Last edited:

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Erm any diabetic that is on medication should be getting free prescriptions. Im not 60 and Ive had a medical certificate since 41. Ask your Dr if you are still paying (even those in work). (im of course assuming you are in the UK)

Last edited by a moderator:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to tell you, you should be happy that the strips are so cheap! I have to buy INR strips (to measure blood clotting) and they cost £3 each, and the meter was just less than £300. But it has given me back my life, and I only need 1 strip a week most weeks (unless I go out of range). So the pennies that are blood glucose strips are no problem. I think, certainly for 3 to 6 months after diagnosis, t2s should be entitled to plenty of strips whilst they work out what specific foods do, but once you know, you know, surely? Just like coagulation, it just goes haywire for a bit if you're not well, got a temperature, infection etc etc. but we can only do what we can do, Keep Calm and Carry On!

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I watch my carbs but have never tested my bg levels either before or after food. As a type 2 my diabetic nurse said not necessary. But I don't know if what I am eating is causing a spike or what levels I should be at before and after eating. Can anyone advise me if I should have a meter or test strips and best ones to get. Thanks x
Hi @cazzy1968 lots of us self-funders have chosen the SD Codefree Meter because the strips are cheapest. I ordered mine from Home Health UK Ltd. There are discount codes you can use on that site to get cheaper strips: 5 packs 264086 10 packs 975833. I don't change my lancet every time, maybe just once a week / fortnight so don't buy too many of those!

cazzy1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks algebra. ..I went to surgery yesterday and asked for a meter. They gave me a pack with lancets etc. I just have to work out how to use it. But thanks for the info x

MaureenP_DELL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @cazzy1968 lots of us self-funders have chosen the SD Codefree Meter because the strips are cheapest. I ordered mine from Home Health UK Ltd. There are discount codes you can use on that site to get cheaper strips: 5 packs 264086 10 packs 975833. I don't change my lancet every time, maybe just once a week / fortnight so don't buy too many of those!
MY Doctor will not give testing strips told type 2 don't need to do tests I brought my first one Doctor at that time gave strips I am on METFORMIN and GLICLAZIDE when I ran out told that ACCU-CHECK was not made now so I brought a new tester and got strips for it.
my mother was type 1 started as 2 went in hospital for her chest came out as type 2 after that she could not get her bloods right my Doctor said I might do the same but as of the last 10 years o'k but it is hard so do my own tests if I go to high I can see my nurse right away.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
MY Doctor will not give testing strips told type 2 don't need to do tests I brought my first one Doctor at that time gave strips I am on METFORMIN and GLICLAZIDE when I ran out told that ACCU-CHECK was not made now so I brought a new tester and got strips for it.
my mother was type 1 started as 2 went in hospital for her chest came out as type 2 after that she could not get her bloods right my Doctor said I might do the same but as of the last 10 years o'k but it is hard so do my own tests if I go to high I can see my nurse right away.
@MaureenP_DELL
Do you drive? If so as a person on meds that can cause hypos (Gliclazide) then DVLA says you should be testing before driving & each 2 hours!

Reactions: Member559176
M

Member559176

This is an absolute DISGRACE, I have just been told the same and am planning of putting a complaint into the General Medical Council, Care Quality Commission, Royal Collage of Nursing & National Institute of Clinical Excellence. I don't see why diabetics of any type on any kind of treatment including diet controlled should have to pay for test strips when they have been told by their so called medical professional to monitor their blood glucose levels.

It's an absolute DISGRACE not only to people who have paid national insurance contributions all their life, it's also a disgrace to the NHS.

• Agree
Reactions: valann

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@PAF84 you are replying to a very old thread - the last update with in 2016 - so you are unlikely to get a reply.
If you want to discuss your recent experience, I recommend starting a new thread.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I watch my carbs but have never tested my bg levels either before or after food. As a type 2 my diabetic nurse said not necessary. But I don't know if what I am eating is causing a spike or what levels I should be at before and after eating. Can anyone advise me if I should have a meter or test strips and best ones to get. Thanks x
I would invest in one. At least you will know what’s causing you to spike and get immediate feedback on how well you’re doing with your diabetes control