arrrggggg getting right cheesed off

neededthat

im moanin i'm getting right cheesed off last few weeks i have decided to try and control this lovely illness or what ever you want to call it been testing as many as 9 times a day calculating my carbs injecting accordingly and results are still all over the place so last few days i thought i'll start writing down what i eat (to show dn on next trip to clinic) heres what my food intake has been to day and reading im getting.
woke with bg of 12.8
breafast 2 slices of whlemeal bread 33g carbs ( took 6 units of rapid this includes corrective dose)

bg before lunch 12.1
3 dutch crisp breads 5.8g carbs each( 6 units rapid including corrective dose)

bg before dinner 9.5

ommlette with cheese, chicken, tomatos,with a little bbq sauce(not very nice :D )
also had a few nuts 4 units rapid

bg at 9oclock was 8.6
bg at 10oclock was 12.5

this is typical reading of last few days and don't understand why this rise is happening i'm really wanting to get this under control but its beginning to baffle me why im getting this rise any ideas? oh i take my lantus at about 5oclock in afternoon.
if i ever get to those magical 4-7 numbers on my meter i'm expecting a musical fanfare to come bellowing from it :lol: :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
first of all u need to get your basal right, e.g if you missed a meal your bloods should be more or less same as before your last meal, then try miss a different meal etc if your bs is high then your basal isnt right,
most people also split lantus to twice daily, i myself dont,i inject lantus when i get up, if my fasting bloods arent the numbers i want i put my basal up by one unit and only do so maybe once a week, once basal is under control bolus insulin is easier to tweek,
also try cutting back on the carbs till u are under control, i went low carb and once id got good bs i added more carbs, im now on 80g-100g carbs a day,
hope this helps, if u need more help plz ask :D

neededthat

hi totsy
thanks for reply i am trying to get the lantus right im on 16 units at the moment i have increased it over the last couple of weeks was on 12 units( to be honest until i joined this forum i didn't even know what it was suposed to do as dn only told me it was long acting insulin, didn't explain it was to deal with glucose your liver kicked out)
do you think my carb intake for that day was high?
at the risk of sounding daft i've never had to worry about carbs or anything so i'm abit ignorant on these matters althought i look at everything i eat now.
(diagnosed last year aged 39 type 1(and never suffered anything other than the odd cold) im told its quite unusual weather this is true i don't know.
thanks for the advise on the lantus.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ive only been diagnosed 5 yrs im 37,
everything ive learnt was either from here or books, it really is great talking to others with the same problems, we do have a chat room on ere altho not many seem to go in there :D

glitterzoe

16 units of lantus (???) I have been diabetic for 30 years and am on 30units of lantus a day (this could be why your bloods are so high before meals) check this out with your Dr, thay may have not recomended enough for you. If you are still suffering from high bloods MAKE THEM LISTEN TO YOU sometimes thay only see the diagnosis in the book and not the individul. Hope this helps :lol: :lol:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
everyone needs a different amount of insulin for basal,just because its lowish doesnt mean its wrong, i inject 12 units lantus daily :D

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Getting basal levels right is sometimes a lengthy juggling process, whatever type of insulin therapy you're on. If you make a change to your insulin dosage as a result of bg testing, it might take a few days to notice the effect on bg readings. And the result might not be what you expect, so further tweaking is required. But don't change too much too quickly, otherwise you'll have little success in identifying which change is having the effect you're after!

neededthat

hi over the past couple of days i have done a few fasting tests in the day and i seem to stay pritty much level when i skip a meal. and last night i did a test middle of the night had gone abit low(not hypo). so my lantus is about right also i have tweeked my rapid taking 1.5 units to 10g carbs except for bread think i'll have to do 2 units to 10 grams as this was my highest reading after my toast,this morning and guess what? my bgs are almost there :D :D . im patting myself on the back
today , after a correction and dinner earlier my bg been between 5 and 6 checking regularly8) 8)
it is hard to stay away from the choccy n crisps but replaced them with mixed nuts and doing ok
also rather than feeling tired and having to drag myself out of bed im beginning to have abit more energy too :D
one thing i have stared to have is ketones over the last few days being abit worried i rang clinic explained that i had pritty much turned my diet around (cut alot of the carbs out) and they tell me it can happen when you cut your carbs but to keep checking but they should clear.
so early days i know but very happy with myself.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
yayyyyyyy well done you, im really pleased youve got it sorted so quick
well done :D