Why ?

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
My early morning BG this morning was 8.3 and I know that's not normal for me I have take my glargine properly so why is it like this I get so upset and start thinking about what complications I will have one day I would rather be dead than blind, have kidney failure or an amputation or some other problem.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @james122
welcome to the forum :)
i don't know how long you have had Diabetes but as I have had it for 43 years all I can say is that not every single day goes the way we want and have planned.
i try to use the philosophy that I can only do my best and if I get a reading that is too high ( or too low ) i correct it as quick as I can and try to get on with enjoying my life.

yes -- the threat of complications lurks in my mind from time to time but I am thankful for everything I do have and I try to use that as my basis for continuing along the way I do.

hope this helps !
all the best !

Reactions: 4 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @james122 , 8.3 isn't that high a number, and we all have higher numbers than we would like. If that's higher than normal, like you say, then I don't think you have to worry about complications as you've got great control. Just think back to what you did/ate ( fat content, insulin timing etc.) last night and see if you can find a reason for it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
First of all, one measure at 8.3 isn't going to cause complications, so try not to worry about that. I know it sounds a bit blunt, but it won't.

Secondly, take a step back and work out what you did different from normal that might have res lets in a different number. There are many things that can affect it.

If you can't see an answer, then I'm afraid the answer is welcome to diabetes. It doesn't always behave as we want it to and sometimes does things we don't like. We have little choice but I live with it. I woke up at 11.9 this morning thanks to bronchitis. Bad but it happens.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi James, living with type 1 does raise many questions but living with it and getting on with your life is where you need to be. Yes there are potentially many complications, but that is potentially, not there will be. I have done meditation and it helped me to focus on living in the present, your result this morning was great, continue as you are and why worry ? Act on each result each day and get on with the more important job of living, why not set yourself a challenge, try a new sport or go somewhere new ? ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take it easy on yourself...perfection is near on impossible to achieve...we all have good and bad days...just need to deal with it and move on...no point dwelling on the potential complications until they happen...and its unlikely that a one off high number will result in complications. I know it can be hard to stay positive...I am often guilty of dwelling on these things and trying to figure out exactly what happened...sometimes there is an answer...sometimes there isn't...sometimes you just need to take your best guess and bear it in mind the next time.

It's also worth considering the other options if it continues...does your basal need tweaking? Are you coming down with a bug?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Couldn't agree more with @Natalie1974 i became fixated with perfection when I was diagnosed, from the advice given by my diabetic team I became fixated on trying to stay within 5 to 9mmol/l and became very low if I didn't stay within this range. Over time it became nigh on impossible to ever achieve this, once I realised this I just got on with it, yes I get the odd 18mmol/l and sometimes higher with a bad infusion set change on my pump but it no longer gets me down, I refuse to let it ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi James , I agree with the others, 8.3 is not thigh and not the end of the world, honestly it isn't. Diabetes can be a complex condition at times, but you must rise above it, count to ten and deep breaths, to move on and not let diabetes control or burden your life, try to enjoy it as much as possible, and not stressed out !!
Take care and best wishes RRB

Bakerjass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My early morning BG this morning was 8.3 and I know that's not normal for me I have take my glargine properly so why is it like this I get so upset and start thinking about what complications I will have one day I would rather be dead than blind, have kidney failure or an amputation or some other problem.
Hi I think over 4 and under 10 is good control don't beat your self up you are only 18 once enjoy life I'm 43 I still do.

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't let one reading take you on a joyride to extreme negativity! If 8.3 is bad, it means that your other readings are much better which definitely reflects good effort and management on your part! :) maybe if it happens again you might choose to think of it this way, '8.3 is not ideal, this is not common for me, but such things happen from time to time. I have had many better readings so I will not blame myself or get too worried. instead I will focus on finding out what happened' Xx stay strong!!