How to increase weight

1rabbit1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am newly diagnosed and have lost a stone in weight. How do I put it back on. I haven't seen the diabetes person yet but understand about sugars and carbs. I want to know figures tho. Guidelines I relation to a safe lkevel of carbs and sugars. I'm happy to cut down but how much???

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello 1rabbit1, you need to up your intake of good fats and proteins, things like avocado,streaky bacon,sausages( 97% meat) take a tablespoon of good olive oil with your main meal,i find that the app my fitness pal is very handy for entering foods and meals as it gives you a breakdown of carbs and proteins and calories, if you enter all your current stats, it will help you work out a good lchf regime( if thats what you want)i would say eating 4 lcff meals a day will help you, please keep posting and let us know how your doing.clive

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello 1rabbit1, you need to up your intake of good fats and proteins, things like avocado,streaky bacon,sausages( 97% meat) take a tablespoon of good olive oil with your main meal,i find that the app my fitness pal is very handy for entering foods and meals as it gives you a breakdown of carbs and proteins and calories, if you enter all your current stats, it will help you work out a good lchf regime( if thats what you want)i would say eating 4 lcff meals a day will help you, please keep posting and let us know how your doing.clive
Ps a ratio of 20 % carbs 40% proteins 40 % good fats is a good place to start

1rabbit1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ps a ratio of 20 % carbs 40% proteins 40 % good fats is a good place to start
Sorry....what is lcff?
I have the my fitness app so will use that.
The percentage thing you mention will take some getting used to!
Do you know a daily allowance for sugar?
Thanks

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry....what is lcff?
Thanks

Zero.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Sorry....what is lcff?
Thanks
Ok it's low carbohydrate high fat.
And 0 is the best figure for sugar intake
As diabetics our livers have become storehouses for excess glucose .....and as we are now at some disadvantage processing glucose we want to avoid storing more in our poor old livers...incidentally as we get our bs's under control the dawn phenomenon is still expelling our livers excess glucose..which is why many find that our fasting bs is the last to get into line.. I have found that replacing sugar with cream in coffee and using xylytol in reciepes that call for sweetness works as well..clive

Mafat

Clive

I have a question. I am T2 since 20+ years and following Fasting+LCHF +HIIT and as a result I have lost 30 pounds..I eat one meal a day and that is lunch time...no meal after 2 PM. The fasting blood sugar in the morning is now around 6. The problem I am facing is I am becoming too skinny ( Age 63 years-Weight 130 pounds & Height is 5.8"& BMI 20) & my face has lost all the fats.I need to put some weight back & dont know if that is advisable or not. How to increase facial fat without damaging liver.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So visceral fat is your enemy and the best way to store that is to eat fructose (not sugar - sucrose - and other complex sugars break down to glucose and fructose building blocks). Additionally there is a body process called the polyol pathway that converts glucose to fructose and then fat for storage which kicks in when your BG levels are high. Therefore it is a good idea to keep sugar intake to a minimum (including from fruit) and to also keep your carb levels low until you have sorted out your BG levels.

Doing this will help you lose any visceral fat but I know of no way to control where your body decides to store its fat. I think it depends on the type of foods you eat but your body will do what it wants for its survival.

So my suggestion would be that if you have a tummy lose a few more pounds until it is gone and then eat more fat with protein and see where the fat goes. As I lost weight my face also went the same as yours but has now filled out again.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find you'll get better lean muscle mass (which also helps BG control) by a combination of additional protein and resistance training - any weight you put back on would be muscle rather than fat.

Reactions: 2 people

Mafat

Andrew & Indy-

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Thanks for your support.Let me put it in practice and hope to see the results soon..........

Thanks.

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
Having same problem. Used to be around 75 kilo. Suddenly lost 10 kilo in a few months. Went to doctor and was diagnosed Type 1. This was one year ago. Now still only 68 kilo. Just cant put on more weight, even eating much more protein and fat. Skin &Bones

allan2010

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too! I was 75kg, went down to 66 before type1 diagnosis in February. My weight is slowly climbing as my blood spart levels fall. Levels haven't stabilised yet but should within next 4-8 weeks. I'm getting excellent care from St Thomas's in London. They don't recommend LCHF. For now at least I have to increase my intake to about 2500 calories a day and that includes at least 40g carbs per meal, but more is better.
Most of the advice out there is about weight loss, which isn't what we need at all.

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
Me too! I was 75kg, went down to 66 before type1 diagnosis in February. My weight is slowly climbing as my blood spart levels fall. Levels haven't stabilised yet but should within next 4-8 weeks. I'm getting excellent care from St Thomas's in London. They don't recommend LCHF. For now at least I have to increase my intake to about 2500 calories a day and that includes at least 40g carbs per meal, but more is better.
Most of the advice out there is about weight loss, which isn't what we need at all.
Was last week at Diabetic Nurse(Here in Helsinki,Finland) and she recommended a daily carb intake of 150g instead of around 50g nowadays , to put on weight. Started this week eating for example pasta`s again. Carefully weighing the amount to give the right dosis of Novorapid. Let s see, if one day I can fit into mine pre diabetic clothes !?

allan2010

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Despite everything you read on this forum, carbs are good, as long as you compensate with insulin. Fat is good. Food is good. I was told that snacks should be low carb, ie under 10g carb, because I don't take insulin with those. Good luck with the weight gain.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Despite everything you read on this forum, carbs are good, as long as you compensate with insulin. Fat is good. Food is good. I was told that snacks should be low carb, ie under 10g carb, because I don't take insulin with those. Good luck with the weight gain.

All fine except the OP is T2 and hasn't stated what medication if any she is on so the presumption of increasing insulin is not really valid and there is some hypothesis out there that high insulin levels is actually damaging over time. A T2 with lots of insulin resistance would require lots of units of insulin. This is one of the reasons we say keep the carbs down but the other is long term control is easier without the swings.

allan2010

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All fine except the OP is T2 and hasn't stated what medication if any she is on so the presumption of increasing insulin is not really valid and there is some hypothesis out there that high insulin levels is actually damaging over time. A T2 with lots of insulin resistance would require lots of units of insulin. This is one of the reasons we say keep the carbs down but the other is long term control is easier without the swings.
What is OP? I was responding to the last post by Alberti.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OP is original poster who is T2 and cannot dose up on insulin. She could eat lots of carbs, put on weight and have very high BG levels or keep the carbs low and supplement with protein and fats keeping/taking control of her BG levels

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I lost 2 stone in a year and was getting worried,I was thin to begin with,being older it didnt look good,family were worried about me.I am stable now,at 9stone and feel fine.and my BG is fine.
I have low carb and moderate fat,but eat plenty.