Starting the LCHF diet

Bigread19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After researching the lchf diet kindly suggested by members of this forum i have decided its worth a try. Got to be strict with myself and see this one through and hopefully reap the rewards. Thanks to all that recommended this to me.

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Bigread19 there is a thread- Low carb , what have you eaten today? Where you can post your food diary and read what other people have eaten. It's really good for getting ideas. Good luck:)

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck, I gave managed to lose 2.5 stone since October, eat plenty of prunes though lol if you get my drift.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sean01

After researching the lchf diet kindly suggested by members of this forum i have decided its worth a try. Got to be strict with myself and see this one through and hopefully reap the rewards. Thanks to all that recommended this to me.
Good luck - just bear these two thoughts in mind.

First
I'm old enough to remember 'go to work on an egg' and cream cakes - naughty but nice'. Diabetes incidence seems to have increased with the idea that carbs are better. There are 400,000 people on this site that might disagree with 'carbs are better'

Second
As a science graduate, I can tell you that a huge amount of flavour in our food actually comes from the fats. People who trim all the fat off their food loose out on flavour. Don't go overboard on pork chops and bacon but trust me, your taset buds are in for a treat.

Good luck and go for it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a suggestion, but it's worth considering reducing your carbs fairly gradually rather than going "cold turkey" - this way you're most likely to avoid any sugar and carbohydrate withdrawal symptoms aka Atkins/low carb/keto flu - ask Google for more info!

I started before I knew about this site and low carbing by first stopping all sugary food and drinks, and a few weeks later cut all obvious high carb foods when I realised these were also causes of high glucose levels, and then refined and went on to very low carbs (20g a day) for a short time, and I had no side effects or cravings at all.

Robbity

PS Plenty of fluids, fat and fibre :D:D avoid the necessity for any sugary prunes! :eek:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Bigread19

Congratulations on your decision to go LCHF. Let us know how you are progressing and if you have any questions? Along with the water I find it useful to take some pysilum husks (fibre) to keep things regular. I get them in capsule form but can also be mixed in with some food or drinks.The commercial brand I use here is Metamucil