New! Still settling

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And now I'm 3 :(
Ouch. I would say a steady dose of sugar throughout the day x.x sometimes I wish they made sugar drips for us. Gotta keep trying to get that sugar back up!

I assume you had some slow burning carbs with your drink earlier? ^=^ Just checking. It can be easy to forget.

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch. I would say a steady dose of sugar throughout the day x.x sometimes I wish they made sugar drips for us. Gotta keep trying to get that sugar back up!

I assume you had some slow burning carbs with your drink earlier? ^=^ Just checking. It can be easy to forget.
Haha, a sugar drip would be awesome B-)

Nope I only had the half can of lucozade, just had the rest and a bar of choc. I'm not the best for doing stuff how I should, I'm terrible tbh.

Trying to sleep as I work nights, so effort for proper food etc isn't always there.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha, a sugar drip would be awesome B-)

Nope I only had the half can of lucozade, just had the rest and a bar of choc. I'm not the best for doing stuff how I should, I'm terrible tbh.

Trying to sleep as I work nights, so effort for proper food etc isn't always there.
Erf. I can imagine night shift is not awful helpful for this sort of thing. I often find myself struggling on the early morning classes for uni because I live a little over an hour away so end up getting up super early. Having a hypo interrupt my ability to sleep on those nights is... Horrible. I hope you manage to drag it on up soon! You should have a sandwich or something else slow burning n.n

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erf. I can imagine night shift is not awful helpful for this sort of thing. I often find myself struggling on the early morning classes for uni because I live a little over an hour away so end up getting up super early. Having a hypo interrupt my ability to sleep on those nights is... Horrible. I hope you manage to drag it on up soon! You should have a sandwich or something else slow burning n.n
Thanks, I'll have something in a bit, hypo feeling gone now...for a while. So will see what happens rest of the day.

Got annual eye screening tomorrow...Oh the fun.

Reactions: 2 people

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I'll have something in a bit, hypo feeling gone now...for a while. So will see what happens rest of the day.

Got annual eye screening tomorrow...Oh the fun.
Oof. I had my first one of those a few months ago. I got so scared. They said they would send me the results in a few weeks. As is usual for me, they never turned up so, I'm assuming that means all is well.

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oof. I had my first one of those a few months ago. I got so scared. They said they would send me the results in a few weeks. As is usual for me, they never turned up so, I'm assuming that means all is well.
I generally get sent the results, I have background retinopathy now, from my bad control when I was a teenager.

So really need to get better at it. I do well for a while then give up.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No need for sugar throughout the day or a carby snack after :)

15g of carb every 15 mins until it comes back up again is how you should treat hypos.
Lucozade is excellent and you can get the small cans of pop such as Coke/Sprite/Fanta which have 15g per can. You should have something like that and then re test 15 mins later. If you're still low after then you repeat until you're stable again.
Having a steady dose of sugar throughout the day will cause you to have a high later on, if you're correcting and you correct after a hypo then the chances are you will end up hypo again, this is why the 15g every 15 mins is the best way.
Also, chocolate is no good to treat hypos, it's slow release so you may still be hypo after the 15 mins and end up over treating because the chocolate has taken longer to work.

:)

Claire x

Reactions: 4 people

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No need for sugar throughout the day or a carby snack after :)

15g of carb every 15 mins until it comes back up again is how you should treat hypos.
Lucozade is excellent and you can get the small cans of pop such as Coke/Sprite/Fanta which have 15g per can. You should have something like that and then re test 15 mins later. If you're still low after then you repeat until you're stable again.
Having a steady dose of sugar throughout the day will cause you to have a high later on, if you're correcting and you correct after a hypo then the chances are you will end up hypo again, this is why the 15g every 15 mins is the best way.
Also, chocolate is no good to treat hypos, it's slow release so you may still be hypo after the 15 mins and end up over treating because the chocolate has taken longer to work.

:)

Claire x
That's super helpful x.x thank you! That's never actually been explained to me before. I was always just told to have something sweet and then something a little slow release and carby and then I should be fine.

Thanks! ^=^ will probably try that the next time I go low.

Reactions: 3 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No worries!
I think I was diabetic for years and years before someone told me that!
It's hard to stop at 15g sometimes though, I especially struggle to follow this rule during night time hypos!
It's a good little trick to follow though and it's stops those horrible rebound highs you get after :)

Claire x

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No worries!
I think I was diabetic for years and years before someone told me that!
It's hard to stop at 15g sometimes though, I especially struggle to follow this rule during night time hypos!
It's a good little trick to follow though and it's stops those horrible rebound highs you get after :)

Claire x
I must admit it hasn't just been just once or twice my partner has found me sat in a pile of cereal bowls and wrappers after a low x.x Just... So hungry! Hopefully I get better at it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it really does take a lot of restraint -- I couldn't manage it this morning
woke up at 6am and was 2.2 ( so 200ml orange juice 20 carbs )
then thought i will just go back to bed for a bit...... woke up 2 hours later and tested at 2.3:eek:
and was staaaaarrrrrrrrvvvvviiiiinng -- so had another 200ml orange juice and a whole roll of rolo ( 34 carbs -- oops :rolleyes: )

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2.2! I'm not surprised you needed extra!
What did it raise your bg to just out of interest?

Claire x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
2.2! I'm not surprised you needed extra!
What did it raise your bg to just out of interest?

Claire x
bad question to ask :D only 11.0 :Do_O

Dark Horse

You should phone and ask for your result - everyone should be sent their results within 6 weeks. Hopefully you are OK but it is possible that you might have been referred to hospital and the letter has gone astray.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should phone and ask for your result - everyone should be sent their results within 6 weeks. Hopefully you are OK but it is possible that you might have been referred to hospital and the letter has gone astray.
I wouldn't even know who to phone I'm afraid. It was done by one of the services that stops by locally for a few weeks before heading off again. I guess I could try the hospital?

Right now I'm trying to bring my BG back down. 14 after dinner. Taken it down 2 points to 12 since then by giving 4 units. I think I should take more?

Dark Horse

I wouldn't even know who to phone I'm afraid. It was done by one of the services that stops by locally for a few weeks before heading off again. I guess I could try the hospital?

Right now I'm trying to bring my BG back down. 14 after dinner. Taken it down 2 points to 12 since then by giving 4 units. I think I should take more?
Your GP should have received a copy of the result so you can ask them. You may be able to find your local screening programme (usually based by county) by using this postcode/town search:- http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Diabetic eye screening/LocationSearch/1911

It's worth checking that they have recorded your address correctly on their database otherwise you won't receive a screening invitation next year.