LCHF diet for type 1's and cholesterol

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
there is so much info here about LCHF but a lot seems to point to type 2 - I haven't read everything btw!
what are the best links for looking into things further? I have wondered whether to speak with my dietician about this but I have a feeling I need to be up to speed with this first!

I've looked at this https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/lchf-for-type-1-diabetes/
and
http://www.lowcarbdownunder.com.au/resources/lchf-and-diabetes/
and
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

any others? I'm hoping to get my cholesterol down a bit too, but first I need a breakdown of my cholesterol so that is my next job!

thx in advance :) I'm sure you've all answered this question time and again, but I haven't found all the answers I think

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello keep-going, i think you'll find Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions 4 th edition very helpful.clive

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lower carb makority of my 50+ years of living and 30+ years of diabetes..
However for me adding in extra heavy saturated fats previously such as cream and cheese crucified both hubby and my cholesterols. So much so for hubby he was put on statins.
Changing to avocado, olives and olive oil as main fats has dramatically improved all cholesterol levels better now than they were pre heavy saturated fats.
I've always been lower bloods for my bg readings too unless something has gone wrong with my pump previously...

Nurses can be slightly reticent against lower carbs... Some are ok but as long as you are ok with adjysting your insulin (probably basal as well as bolus) you'll be ok..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
SAT fats raise my CHO as well. I too eat mostly avocado, EVOO, olives and pumpkin seeds as my fats. I do much better with mono fats and I don't need gobs. I prefer to think LC healthy fats rather than high fat. I have been VLC for MANY years and they make a big difference but so does the 'type' of fat

Reactions: 6 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Richard Bernstein is THE authority on this. The man deserves a Nobel prize for his findings on diabetes. He treats his own type 1 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet. He started doing this in his late 30s, when he was going blind and had advanced kidney disease. He not only stopped his complications, but actually reversed them. He is now in his 80s and in excellent health. Also, check out Dr Troy Stapleton on YouTube. He's been type 1 since 2012, and adopted a low carbohydrate diet early on. He gives engaging and very knowledgable talks.

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SAT fats raise my CHO as well. I too eat mostly avocado, EVOO, olives and pumpkin seeds as my fats. I do much better with mono fats and I don't need gobs. I prefer to think LC healthy fats rather than high fat. I have been VLC for MANY years and they make a big difference but so does the 'type' of fat
EVOO? gobs? I'm happy with my fats really, I am pretty careful with my food and wasn't planning on increasing my fats particularly, it was lowering carbs I guess I'm thinking of mostly. Recently I have cut out at much wheat as possible (nothing to do with diabetes, just that I felt it can be in every meal and that's too much of one thing) so I'm thinking more about replacements...or not iyswim. Thanks for answering, its useful to hear what other people are doing :)

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Richard Bernstein is THE authority on this. The man deserves a Nobel prize for his findings on diabetes. He treats his own type 1 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet. He started doing this in his late 30s, when he was going blind and had advanced kidney disease. He not only stopped his complications, but actually reversed them. He is now in his 80s and in excellent health. Also, check out Dr Troy Stapleton on YouTube. He's been type 1 since 2012, and adopted a low carbohydrate diet early on. He gives engaging and very knowledgable talks.
I will check out Troy Stapleton, thx :)

Reactions: 2 people

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lower carb makority of my 50+ years of living and 30+ years of diabetes..
However for me adding in extra heavy saturated fats previously such as cream and cheese crucified both hubby and my cholesterols. So much so for hubby he was put on statins.
Changing to avocado, olives and olive oil as main fats has dramatically improved all cholesterol levels better now than they were pre heavy saturated fats.
I've always been lower bloods for my bg readings too unless something has gone wrong with my pump previously...

Nurses can be slightly reticent against lower carbs... Some are ok but as long as you are ok with adjysting your insulin (probably basal as well as bolus) you'll be ok..

thx for answering. I recently adjusted my basal and feel so much better which means I am thinking about other diabetes related things more clearly again. I wasn't planning on stuffing myself with a load of fat and I am quite mindful of what I do eat...I really would like to avoid statins and from what I've read so far lower carbs may be the best path to take. I will mention it to my DSN and see what response I get back.
Hopefully exercise will help me too, the last few years I've been dealing with frozen shoulder and gall bladder problems - all sorted finally, I feel like I have a new lease of life!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
EVOO? gobs? I'm happy with my fats really, I am pretty careful with my food and wasn't planning on increasing my fats particularly, it was lowering carbs I guess I'm thinking of mostly. Recently I have cut out at much wheat as possible (nothing to do with diabetes, just that I felt it can be in every meal and that's too much of one thing) so I'm thinking more about replacements...or not iyswim. Thanks for answering, its useful to hear what other people are doing :)

I as well as lower carbs am gluten and lactose free as well.. And Low FODMAP.
My saying is that we are the only ones clever enough to grow and harvest grain... BUT boy, we are the only ones stupid enough to eat it!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thx for answering. I recently adjusted my basal and feel so much better which means I am thinking about other diabetes related things more clearly again. I wasn't planning on stuffing myself with a load of fat and I am quite mindful of what I do eat...I really would like to avoid statins and from what I've read so far lower carbs may be the best path to take. I will mention it to my DSN and see what response I get back.
Hopefully exercise will help me too, the last few years I've been dealing with frozen shoulder and gall bladder problems - all sorted finally, I feel like I have a new lease of life!

I think most DSN's will naturally work with people if they want to go lower carbs but the mention of higher fat aspect scares them. You also got to be careful if your gall bladder involved as well...

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most DSN's will naturally work with people if they want to go lower carbs but the mention of higher fat aspect scares them. You also got to be careful if your gall bladder involved as well...
ok, yes, I can understand why they may worry. I have had my gall bladder removed now so I wouldn't want to take a high fat diet, but I am picky about the fats I do use. I've not actually had any suggestions or guidance about eating fats since I had it out as it happens. One thing I have read on a holistic website it that over time there is the possibility of not processing enough fat soluble vits. so something to be aware of.

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I as well as lower carbs am gluten and lactose free as well.. And Low FODMAP.
My saying is that we are the only ones clever enough to grow and harvest grain... BUT boy, we are the only ones stupid enough to eat it!
I'm having to check all these acronyms!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm having to check all these acronyms!

I had to as well! The FODMAP acronym deciphered is double dutch to me! -lol but the eating is brilliant for me....

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@keep_going, the pattern when you start low carbing is HDL up (nice), trigs down (very nice, and the most important thing actually), and LDL up in the first six to nine months. Your doctor will prob fuss about no 3. Point out the other two.

If your LDL stays high, look at this : http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blo...ery-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-my-own-experience

And also see Peter Attia on it : http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blo...ery-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-my-own-experience

Start at the paragraph that begins, "And contrary to what some ... "

Reactions: 5 people

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@keep_going, the pattern when you start low carbing is HDL up (nice), trigs down (very nice, and the most important thing actually), and LDL up in the first six to nine months. Your doctor will prob fuss about no 3. Point out the other two.

If your LDL stays high, look at this : http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blo...ery-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-my-own-experience

And also see Peter Attia on it : http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blo...ery-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-my-own-experience

Start at the paragraph that begins, "And contrary to what some ... "
thanks, I'll have a look at those links :)