What were/are your experiences of the 'Honeymoon' period coming to an end?

Cauliflower_rice

Hi, 8 months into T1 (late onset) and just got a HbA1c of 5.7 (39 I think) so overjoyed on that front.... Just had a minor cold last week and am struggling to get my bg down from 7.8 during the day (in high 6 range at night this week).... Is it my cold or has my honeymoon period come to an end? Even injected an extra unit of Levemir this morning in the hope of some control... Not eaten more than 4 carbs per meal.... injected an extra 1.5 units of novo rapid 3 times today..... hmmmm.

Would you mind sharing what it was like for you going through a cold and how you coped with it (Im just using my gut feeling at the moment and some information from this site). My ketones are normal....

If you have any experiences/advice on what to expect for this honeymoon issue as well I would be very grateful.

Thought I had it sussed with the HbA1c.... but at least I am learning (everyday).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Once your cold has cleared up you will know if your Honeymoon Period has come to a end.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't speak to leaving the honeymoon period as I'm in a similar situation to you, currently.

I will say that there was a week that I needed considerably more insulin and my average glucose levels (confirmed by my meter) were considerably higher as well. The odd thing was, I was not sick and couldn't attribute the increases to any lifestyle changes.

Initially, I had the same thoughts you do, and figured my pancreas was producing even less insulin. However, my insulin needs have since reverted back to previous levels.

To put it in perspective: my insulin: carb ratio increased from about 1:30g-1:40g (it's very difficult to calculate with it that high) to about 1:15-1:20. My basal requirements also increased that week from 4-6units up to about 10-12u (or something to that tune).

Reactions: 5 people

Cauliflower_rice

Can't speak to leaving the honeymoon period as I'm in a similar situation to you, currently.

I will say that there was a week that I needed considerably more insulin and my average glucose levels (confirmed by my meter) were considerably higher as well. The odd thing was, I was not sick and couldn't attribute the increases to any lifestyle changes.

Initially, I had the same thoughts you do, and figured my pancreas was producing even less insulin. However, my insulin needs have since reverted back to previous levels.

To put it in perspective: my insulin: carb ratio increased from about 1:30g-1:40g (it's very difficult to calculate with it that high) to about 1:15-1:20. My basal requirements also increased that week from 4-6units up to about 10-12u (or something to that tune).
Thanks for sharing your experiences, its given me a sense of perspective. I will just keep monitoring the situation.... Its good to see your basal increased, I feel as though I am on the right tracks in dealing with sick days now.... I felt quite concerned that Ive had to increase my bolus so much. Will take things in my stride. My carb ratio is 1:7g and basal 4 units normally

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok, good point... being insulin dependant, has made me realise that just because my runny nose has stopped... the background bugs are still playing around inside!!!

Yeah they can linger for a while, keep the thread updated on your progress.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been T1 for about 18 mons and am now 57 - how's that for late onset! In the beginning my insulin dose was constant but it did change during illness. I started off on a basal Lantus of 10 units once a day and bolus ratio of 1.2/10g. Eventually went up to 12 units of Lantus a day and the bolus ratio of 1.3 or 1.4. Recently, amazingly, I've had to lower my Lantus down to 9 units a day to keep my bloods level through the night! This is the weirdest condition! We can't know all the parameters so the numbers dont always make sense - sometimes there seems to be no logic and it gets frustrating. One of the nurses said to me in the beginning not to expect perfection - just aim for as level as you can get and accept that there will be unexpected results sometimes. I didnt expect the continual fiddling with doses - how dumb was that!! The other surprising thing is that strong painkillers - ie Solpadol and Tramadol cause my blood sugars to plummet! Kept getting hypos and had to wind back insulin to tiny amounts. The Diabetic team had never seen that before. So we're all completely different in our responses to insulin and carbs. I've been told that some honeymoon periods can last 5 years or so and it seems beneficial to avoid eating huge amounts of carbs. Who knows. Good luck to us all! Hope your sugars level off soon!

Cauliflower_rice

I've been T1 for about 18 mons and am now 57 - how's that for late onset! In the beginning my insulin dose was constant but it did change during illness. I started off on a basal Lantus of 10 units once a day and bolus ratio of 1.2/10g. Eventually went up to 12 units of Lantus a day and the bolus ratio of 1.3 or 1.4. Recently, amazingly, I've had to lower my Lantus down to 9 units a day to keep my bloods level through the night! This is the weirdest condition! We can't know all the parameters so the numbers dont always make sense - sometimes there seems to be no logic and it gets frustrating. One of the nurses said to me in the beginning not to expect perfection - just aim for as level as you can get and accept that there will be unexpected results sometimes. I didnt expect the continual fiddling with doses - how dumb was that!! The other surprising thing is that strong painkillers - ie Solpadol and Tramadol cause my blood sugars to plummet! Kept getting hypos and had to wind back insulin to tiny amounts. The Diabetic team had never seen that before. So we're all completely different in our responses to insulin and carbs. I've been told that some honeymoon periods can last 5 years or so and it seems beneficial to avoid eating huge amounts of carbs. Who knows. Good luck to us all! Hope your sugars level off soon!
I was 48 when dx. Even when eating just fatty meat, by bgs raise from 5.5 to 8.3 and when I inject rapid acting insulin, my bg rise before falling! Tonight I ate 12 carbs (mushrooms and cauliflower) with gammon, garlic cream and some almond flour and I started at 5.6bg, 1 hour later 5.8 and 2. hours later 6.8.... I was concerned about the insulin resistance, but when I read yours and others comments... I realise its ok for bgs to vary....

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm starting to think my honeymoon might be coming to an end. I'm not totally sure yet though. I might just be having a week of high readings like @TorqPenderloin I am obviously hoping that's the case.

I'm considering upping my Lantus but I think that might be a little drastic? So I might just try and manage with Apidra for a while to see if it comes back down.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bg rise of 2 is acceptable at the 2 hour after injecting mark. Fat always does delays things too. Parameters are constantly changing so we have to adjust as and when. Always learning, and on this forum always someone to listen and advise. Take heart, you're amongst friends. ;)

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm starting to think my honeymoon might be coming to an end. I'm not totally sure yet though. I might just be having a week of high readings like @TorqPenderloin I am obviously hoping that's the case.

I'm considering upping my Lantus but I think that might be a little drastic? So I might just try and manage with Apidra for a while to see if it comes back down.

How are your levels today? I tweek my Lantus whenever I need to. Slightest bug - I see a rise in my BG and I up my Lantus by 1 unit if this higher level lasts more than 2 days. It's ok to adjust regularly - your pancreas would be constantly altering your insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

Cauliflower_rice

I'm considering upping my Lantus but I think that might be a little drastic? So I might just try and manage with Apidra for a while to see if it comes back down.[/QUOTEI r

I found in the past when well, tweeking the amount of basal I inject, helped with bolus and bg control.... not as simple when under the weather,

Wondering how you are today? I have increased my basal slightly in an attempt control my bgs, its worked for me at the moment.... like you I hope things will go back to normal soon. I have an appointment with diabetic nurse soon, will seek advice.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cauliflower_rice & @Sibyl

My levels seemed to come back down today. Woke up kind of high but after a couple of meals I was down at 5 for a good six hours! Then I had dinner and discovered that my dosages for meals are extremely off. I just took a reading and I'm up at 14.1 I'm assuming this might be the root of my issues.

So, I am going to start cranking up my fast acting to carb ratio to see if I can figure out where it's meant to be. I was never really given any training around it and I always assumed mine was around the 40g of carbs to 1 unit area because the way I was shown and told to test meant I only got a reading before meals. I think my pancreas was previously taking care of the excess (even if it was slow at doing it) I don't think it does that anymore. Oh well. Just gave myself 4 units as a correcting dose.

I'm glad to hear yours have stabilised a bit. Talking to the nurses is often a very good port of call ^=^

And thanks for your concern by the way guys ^=^

Cauliflower_rice

How are your levels today? I tweek my Lantus whenever I need to. Slightest bug - I see a rise in my BG and I up my Lantus by 1 unit if this higher level lasts more than 2 days. It's ok to adjust regularly - your pancreas would be constantly altering your insulin.[/QUOTE
@Cauliflower_rice & @Sibyl

My levels seemed to come back down today. Woke up kind of high but after a couple of meals I was down at 5 for a good six hours! Then I had dinner and discovered that my dosages for meals are extremely off. I just took a reading and I'm up at 14.1 I'm assuming this might be the root of my issues.

So, I am going to start cranking up my fast acting to carb ratio to see if I can figure out where it's meant to be. I was never really given any training around it and I always assumed mine was around the 40g of carbs to 1 unit area because the way I was shown and told to test meant I only got a reading before meals. I think my pancreas was previously taking care of the excess (even if it was slow at doing it) I don't think it does that anymore. Oh well. Just gave myself 4 units as a correcting dose.

I'm glad to hear yours have stabilised a bit. Talking to the nurses is often a very good port of call ^=^

And thanks for your concern by the way guys ^=^
Good to hear you are getting back to normal. I have to admit, I regularly test basal dose at night and that seems ok at moment, up at 4am this morning checking it! (I have increased it by 2u a day since my cold) My nurse (and books I have read) estimate my insulin to carb ratio based on my weight.... as 1:15, I have found its really 1:7, (nurse always said not to get hung up on numbers though as we are all different) I also bolus extra insulin for meat after the meal as like you Im not keen on highs. Having read your info allows me to know its all ok, we are just learning. I found Bernsteins book and Think like a pancreas really helpful. Like you, I wasn't really taught how to test... more importantly it takes a lot of confidence to take the steps you are taking... so well done and test, test, test those bloods.

Reactions: 4 people

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear you are getting back to normal. I have to admit, I regularly test basal dose at night and that seems ok at moment, up at 4am this morning checking it! (I have increased it by 2u a day since my cold) My nurse (and books I have read) estimate my insulin to carb ratio based on my weight.... as 1:15, I have found its really 1:7, (nurse always said not to get hung up on numbers though as we are all different) I also bolus extra insulin for meat after the meal as like you Im not keen on highs. Having read your info allows me to know its all ok, we are just learning. I found Bernsteins book and Think like a pancreas really helpful. Like you, I wasn't really taught how to test... more importantly it takes a lot of confidence to take the steps you are taking... so well done and test, test, test those bloods.
Most definitely! My sugars are much better today. I still peaked at 11 after my rather carb heavy lunch. I am going to pick up "Think Like a Pancreas" I'm hoping to get to sleep before 4AM tonight. Last night was not fun trying to balance things after dinner ^=^;

We are most definitely all still learning. I often get the impression that having type 1 is a permanent and life long learning curve. I think I'm up to that challenge, or at least I hope I am.

Cauliflower_rice

Most definitely! My sugars are much better today. I still peaked at 11 after my rather carb heavy lunch. I am going to pick up "Think Like a Pancreas" I'm hoping to get to sleep before 4AM tonight. Last night was not fun trying to balance things after dinner ^=^;

We are most definitely all still learning. I often get the impression that having type 1 is a permanent and life long learning curve. I think I'm up to that challenge, or at least I hope I am.
I borrowed Bernsteins 'Diabetes Solution' from the local library, then bought it.... I love it as it really helped me get to grips with all areas of diabetes - amazing and Think Like a Pancreas was great for giving me some information in a different way... If you find any books that are good, let me know, keep strong!

Cauliflower_rice

How are your levels today? I tweek my Lantus whenever I need to. Slightest bug - I see a rise in my BG and I up my Lantus by 1 unit if this higher level lasts more than 2 days. It's ok to adjust regularly - your pancreas would be constantly altering your insulin.
Thanks Sybil - for sharing your experiences, it gave me the insight and confidence to tweek/completely alter my levimir and its worked! I was on 4 units and now on 7, but my bgs are better and still monitoring.... onwards we go!!!