How many naughty treats do you have?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is regarding food, obviously :)

I'm a diet controlled Type 2. As my blood sugars have been so well maintained for over a year, for the past 3 weeks I've been enjoying potatoes for Sunday dinner. I get on the treadmill afterwards to offset any high blood shenanigans but I'm wondering how many other Type 2's have treats? How regular are they and what do you have?
I'm aware of the phenomenon called Carb Creep. I don't want to happen but surely even Type 2's deserve a little treat now and again?

Reactions: 7 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm aware of the phenomenon called Carb Creep. I don't want to happen but surely even Type 2's deserve a little treat now and again?
Don't know about the others but I certainly do. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood tests are every six months and the Hba1c can only look back three months. If you are good at maths you will realise that there are three months where I am not monitored. I am not saying that I do silly things since my health is at stake but if I have treats they happen in the three blind months. The treats are things like chips, curry, wine.

I did a test. At worst my Hba1c was 68 before I learned how to eat and at best 42 afterwards. I wanted to know what would happen if I ate properly and yet had some treats. 49 was the answer so not too bad.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The treats are things like chips, curry, wine.
If you want some info on alchoholic beverages and their carb this is a good site I think.
http://winefolly.com/update/carbs-in-wine/

"To quote Robert Atkins on the topic of refraining from alcohol while on a diet:

“Here’s the problem with all alcoholic beverages, and the reason I recommend refraining from alcohol consumption on the diet. Alcohol, whenever taken in, is the first fuel to burn. While that’s going on, your body will not burn fat. This does not stop the weight loss, it simply postpones it, since the alcohol does not store as glycogen (starch), you immediately go back into ketosis after the alcohol is used up.

If you must drink alcohol, wine is an acceptable addition to levels beyond the Induction diet. If wine does not suit your taste, straight liquor such as scotch, rye, vodka, and gin would be appropriate, as long as the mixer is sugarless; this means no juice, tonic water; or non-diet soda. Seltzer and diet soda are appropriate.”"

"

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@KittyKatty - I have treats too (maybe a bit to often!) The Hospital Diabetic Clinic suggested to be Strict with my diet Monday to Friday, and look upon the weekend as treat time, slice of Cake on Saturday and a Crunchie Bar on Sunday. I do however "slip up" at times during the week too!!:)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want some info on alchoholic beverages and their carb this is a good site I think.
http://winefolly.com/update/carbs-in-wine/

"To quote Robert Atkins on the topic of refraining from alcohol while on a diet:

“Here’s the problem with all alcoholic beverages, and the reason I recommend refraining from alcohol consumption on the diet. Alcohol, whenever taken in, is the first fuel to burn. While that’s going on, your body will not burn fat. This does not stop the weight loss, it simply postpones it, since the alcohol does not store as glycogen (starch), you immediately go back into ketosis after the alcohol is used up.

If you must drink alcohol, wine is an acceptable addition to levels beyond the Induction diet. If wine does not suit your taste, straight liquor such as scotch, rye, vodka, and gin would be appropriate, as long as the mixer is sugarless; this means no juice, tonic water; or non-diet soda. Seltzer and diet soda are appropriate.”"

"
If I were on a slimming diet I am sure I would find all of that most helpful.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If I were on a slimming diet I am sure I would find all of that most helpful.

The carb content is the carb content whether you are slimming or not information is valid do what you will with it or ignore it up to you squire.

This was also in the text

Some recent studies have shown that alcohol increases appetite and some people take in 300-400 more calories a day when drinking. From what I can glean, this is more likely with spirits (“those chips and guacamole would be great with this margarita,” “I’ll have another order of fries with my next beer,” etc.). So be aware of a possible tendency to eat more when drinking.

Diabetic diets generally restrict carbs to 70 grams per day, Atkin’s is generally 20-30 grams/day. Both dry white and dry red wine only have up to 4 grams per 5 oz. serving and dry wine has a glycemic index of 0.

So wine need not be considered as a naughty treat but can be drunk on occation if you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So wine need not be considered as a naughty treat but can be drunk on occation if you wish.

I used to make vast quantities of wine and am well aware of its qualities. The worst effect is that it rots your teeth (especially the German ones) but you're so drunk that you don't care.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is regarding food, obviously :)

I'm a diet controlled Type 2. As my blood sugars have been so well maintained for over a year, for the past 3 weeks I've been enjoying potatoes for Sunday dinner. I get on the treadmill afterwards to offset any high blood shenanigans but I'm wondering how many other Type 2's have treats? How regular are they and what do you have?

KittyKatty - Over time, if you have trimmed up any excess poundage, as well as your blood scores, you may find your body can process some carbs more effectively than before. I have certainly found that.

My scores are in my signature. Although my last two HbA1cs were neither 3 months apart, nor had I kept exactly thew same lower number, I am content my body remains able to process carbs more effectively than at the outset.

I am eating more carbs than in my reduction (bloods and luuuuurve handles) stage, but had a significant period of emotional, then physical stress leading up to and straddling the two tests which had gone up by a massive (irony) two points. Indeed, one HbA1c was immediately pre surgery and the second, just as s significantly stressful (if not necessarily dangerous to my health) complication was coming to an end.

I'm very happy with that outcome and don't plan cutting back on anything just yet. With a condition that is likely to be monitored for a very long time (if not forever), I think it is only reasonable to both assume and expect that variations to occur over time. Life isn't a flat line forever.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
hell yes I do, but like you if it goes in I use it, so not impulsive/binge but managed.

So far a muffin is my self imposed limit, tested a few times and sooooo nice

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
3 beers yesterday at the footy. But have found a ultra low carb beer at 1g carb per bottle which is also commercially successful so is available at most places. Looking forward to a few treats when I hit my goal weight but working hard to stay away from them until then. My wife made homemade Sausage Rolls yesterday and as my older sons sat around and demolished them I just chewed on my fingernails

Reactions: 6 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The worst effect is that it rots your teeth
Well I'm OK then the dentist yanked them all out.some while ago :)

Basically because when they removed the multiple tomours from my neck they took the perotid glands with them no perotids no saliva no enzymes no teeth eventually, wish I'd known would have drunk a bit more wine. Well maybe a lot more. ;)

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find if I eat anything ie potatoes etc I put Weight on almost Immediately, I have lost 2.5 stone but a meal out with alcohol, potatoes, dessert, bread that's + 5-6 lb next day almost that quick

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I eat anything ie potatoes etc I put Weight on almost Immediately, I have lost 2.5 stone but a meal out with alcohol, potatoes, dessert, bread that's + 5-6 lb next day almost that quick

That sort of "weight gain" is rarely fat or muscle gain. More often than not it's the impact of the additional food meandering through our systems, and where some foods are concerned, like carbs, they hold additional water on their way through as an aid to their digestion. Obviously that's an incredibly simplistic explanation, but it's pretty right.

Clearly, if any of us has a mega blow-out, whereby we over indulge, in calories, protein carbs or whatever we each find to be our trigger foods, then the display on the scales won't necessarily settle back to the pre-blow-out position, but it would usually drop back a bit.

To be honest, this is where weighing each day for a while can be useful. My weight is very stable, but if I do have carb heavier foods and maybe drink a bit less for a few days - say, when travelling, or whatever - the scales will suggest weight gain, but it isn't a true reflection.

MarkyP123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So far since diagnosis in Jan, the only treat i've been allowing myself is a couple of squares of 85% choccy every now & then. After my next HbA1c in April, I will go to greggs & get a cream belgium bun.:D

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But have found a ultra low carb beer at 1g carb per bottle which is also commercially successful so is available at most places.
Please, can you share the name of this marvellous invention?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hello my name is Marie and I'm a chocoholic lol. I control my chocolate addiction by having 2 squares of dark chocolate (various percentages ) every night about 8.30 . I look forward to it .
Don't think of them as naughty treats though , it's about damage limitation , I have 2 squares where before I took control I would probably have eaten the whole bar lol.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Please, can you share the name of this marvellous invention?

The perfect beer already exists in Aussie
pureblonde_lesscarbs.png

Brand Alcohol %
ABV
Carbs (g/100ml)
Energy (kJ/100ml)
Energy (cal/100 ml)
Sugar (g/100mL)

I'm in love

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The perfect beer already exists in Aussie
pureblonde_lesscarbs.png

Brand Alcohol %
ABV
Carbs (g/100ml)
Energy (kJ/100ml)
Energy (cal/100 ml)
Sugar (g/100mL)

I'm in love
Thank you! I'll ask Systembolaget if they might consider taking it in.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I'll ask Systembolaget if they might consider taking it in.
I've noticed Sainsburys are now doing a small low carb range of food. I've brought their low carb rice, with is about 0.5 percent carbs and will give it a try this week.