Exercising

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
I wondered what everyone's sweet / carb boost is before they exercise?

I've been taking one or two dextro tablets before the gym and do about an hours cardio and then usually cook a pasta dinner (I go to the gym after work)... I tend to get high sugars after the gym but then wake up having a hypo nearly every morning after i've been to the gym.... any advice would be much appreciated :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Pinkjinks, sounds like x2 glucose tablets isn't enough and your liver is helping out?

What are your BG levels before you exercise? It could be you are over compensating with your insulin for your pasta due to your post exercise high? that could explain the subsequent low..........

howie

i'd reduce my basal dose a little after a day of heavy exercise or drinking.

i always take a pack of glucose tabs to the tennis courts with me but find the best way to avoid hypos during is to eat my lunch for example and go straight out using only 1/2 the amount of insulin i'd usually require. you have to get use to exercising on a full stomach though lol. which doesn't bother me now. i usually manage to stay between 4-6 while exercising with the odd tab in the 4's.

howie

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
It's just awkward timing with eating before I exercise as I go to the gym straight from work :?

I may be over compnesating with my Novorapid actually, I'll try reducing that and maybe take my long acting dosage down a notch.

thanks guys! :)

jopar

If you are constantly having hypo's the following morning, then this is a time delay on your exercise...

You need to look at what changes you might be able to do, but this will depend where what your bg's are like and when the excercise delay kicks in.. It might be possible to reduce your insulin to a lower ratio with your evening meal, but you would need to check that you aren't going to high before the delay kicks in...

Another option is to have a snack before bedtime depending on your BG this could be carbs, or a snack higher in protien which will adsorb slower might do the trick..

It's worth checking your BG, before betime, 2am-3am (this is around the time everything is at it's lowest ebb) if necessary check at other hours of the night as you might be able to identify at what point the delay start taking effect... and give yourself a better idea to what you need which is your best option