Frustrated

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.9 this morning. Shocking. Was 7.8 when I went to bed last night ( after a one hour walk). Feeling quite fed up with the sugar drama.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh what a shame. Have you read about dawn phenomenon. This makes your BG go up when you wake so not unsurprising. I am sure it comes down during the course of the morning.

Have you worked out your strategy to deal with T2 yet. I went low calorie to start and then switched after a few months. I gave myself a target of never going to bed above 6.5 (preferred under 6 but not always possible). I found this helped.

Reactions: 4 people

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Andrew Colvin - Thank you. I have read so much about type 2 diabetes that I feel like I now have information overload. So much trial and error, not to mention stress. It struck me after I read your comment that sitting down and seriously working out a strategy would be a good idea. My approach has been somewhat haphazard, I realise now. I'm doing fine with exercise , it's limiting carbs that is very challenging. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sean01

9.9 this morning. Shocking. Was 7.8 when I went to bed last night ( after a one hour walk). Feeling quite fed up with the sugar drama.
Morning testing is not ideal despite the whole fasting thing. There is something in our body clocks that gives our bodies a sugar boost first thing (it used to help us run away from bears and sabre toothed tigers but we take a long time to adapt!!!

Not sure if your 9.9 was after the morning walk. If so - not a big problem. Again, your liver will release sugars into your blood as it knows they are needed to fuel your exercise. I have this issue every morning and within an hour or so, it is back down to where i want it to be. Persevere. It looks like you are new ish. It takes time.
(T2 Oct 15, metformin/diet/exercise.)

Keep walking. - your legs are going to do amazing things for you.

Reactions: 4 people

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Sean01 .
9.9 was my fasting blood sugar yesterday. I felt very discouraged about it. But today is a new day and fbs was8.1 this morning. Avoiding carbs altogether this week (except for porridge with some ground flaxseed & blueberries this morn) and will see how this strategy goes. One day at a time, I suppose.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @v4victory

For mine your frustration is a good sign that you are committed to get control and improve you blood glucose levels and as long as you continue to measure and react to that they will improve.

A strategy is a good idea as with a plan you can see if it is improving and if not change. But give it time. Low Carbs High Fat has worked for many people on this forum including my self so have a good look at those forums and also at the Type 2 what have you eaten today to get some ideas.

Keep letting us know how you are going

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Sean01 .
9.9 was my fasting blood sugar yesterday. I felt very discouraged about it. But today is a new day and fbs was8.1 this morning. Avoiding carbs altogether this week (except for porridge with some ground flaxseed & blueberries this morn) and will see how this strategy goes. One day at a time, I suppose.
Hi @v4victory does your BG not go up after porridge, flaxseed and blueberries? Ive tried this twice and my bloods went from 7-11.2 and stayed there for over 3 hours

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @v4victory does your BG not go up after porridge, flaxseed and blueberries? Ive tried this twice and my bloods went from 7-11.2 and stayed there for over 3 hours

Yes it did! To a horrible 9.3. I thought porridge was supposed to be good for you.
But I have just now returned from a 40min brisk walk and my BG is 5.4 - the best reading in the last 3 weeks. Woo hoo... Hallelujah!

Reactions: 3 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Porridge works for some - for me it's a no-no (also bloody revolting..and I say that as a Scot), a sis any kind of oatmeal, cereal or sugary cardboard version. Just as likely to send my BS high is bread or spuds or pasta or rice or..or..or...any kind of simple (and entirely unnecessary carbohydrate). I agree with much of what's already been said. What worked and is working for me - very low carb diet (generally under 40g per day and often less than 20g), 2 litres fluid a day minimum, keeping a diary noting meter readings before and 2.5 hours after meals (and also noting the food involved)...patterns soon emerged. The morning readings take time to come down, and liver dumps can make it look like there's no progress when there may well be. The low carbs do way way more than the walks!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Yes it did! To a horrible 9.3. I thought porridge was supposed to be good for you.
But I have just now returned from a 40min brisk walk and my BG is 5.4 - the best reading in the last 3 weeks. Woo hoo... Hallelujah!

Well Done
You have found one thing to get out of your diet the porridge. Try going with some eggs anyway you like with tomatoes Bacon etc just no bread

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because it keeps me satiated for a long time, I won't discard porridge just yet. I'll try this again one more time , without the berries, smaller portion, and exercise right after I have it instead of 2 hours later, like I did today. I'll be really glad if it works for me - it's easy to prepare and affordable. And I don't mind the taste at all.
Walking i have found is great for de stressing. My blood glucose level tends to increase if I am stressed. I'm relatively new to this and still discovering what works for me and what doesn't . It's quite a task getting the hang of it, finding the right balance of different variables.

Last edited by a moderator:

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @v4victory

For mine your frustration is a good sign that you are committed to get control and improve you blood glucose levels and as long as you continue to measure and react to that they will improve.

A strategy is a good idea as with a plan you can see if it is improving and if not change. But give it time. Low Carbs High Fat has worked for many people on this forum including my self so have a good look at those forums and also at the Type 2 what have you eaten today to get some ideas.

Keep letting us know how you are going
Thanks muzza3!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good. I must do more walking too. My DB nurse recommended porridge too since she said it helps to regulate your blood glucose. I pointed out that it doesn't. It has 60g/100g carbs and just spikes the BG an hour or two later. Some people have suggested added coconut oil to slow down spikes or just have the oat flakes uncooked in a kind of muesli, but I haven't tried that yet.

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good. I must do more walking too. My DB nurse recommended porridge too since she said it helps to regulate your blood glucose. I pointed out that it doesn't. It has 60g/100g carbs and just spikes the BG an hour or two later. Some people have suggested added coconut oil to slow down spikes or just have the oat flakes uncooked in a kind of muesli, but I haven't tried that yet.
I did think of adding coconut oil... maybe next time. My nurse recommend oatmeal too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did think of adding coconut oil... maybe next time. My nurse recommend oatmeal too.
Test before then eat it then test maybe 1 and 2 hours after to see what it has done to you. That's the only reliable way to see f it helps or hurts you. Personally I ditched breakfast so one less meal to worry about what to eat. Also if you want to feel full try a couple of boiled/poached/fried/scrambled eggs.

S

Sean01

Hello Sean01 .
One day at a time - exactly. There is a lot to learn - read up on this site and there is a lot to learn about how your own body reacts to everything. Keep testing and keep some sort of diary - work out what works best for you. Good luck. It's a journey

S

Sean01

Because it keeps me satiated for a long time, I won't discard porridge just yet. I'll try this again one more time , without the berries, smaller portion, and exercise right after I have it instead of 2 hours later, like I did today. I'll be really glad if it works for me - it's easy to prepare and affordable. And I don't mind the taste at all.
Walking i have found is great for de stressing. My blood glucose level tends to increase if I am stressed. I'm relatively new to this and still discovering what works for me and what doesn't . It's quite a task getting the hang of it, finding the right balance of different variables.
Try the porridge without the berries and flax seeds - and see what happens. Flax seeds are good for weight loss and blue berries are a great antioxidant - but see what happens. You need to discover how your own body works and reacts to different foods in different combinations and at different times of day. have you considered walking before porridge? I walk for 40 mins plus on a treadmill every morning before breakfast, but that is partly because I train better on an empty stomach and also I don't want to cook at 5 a.m. The fried breakfast is a great idea. My normal breakfast in an omelette, one whole egg, and the rest as whites - maybe 4 or 5 (But I am very big and this is my entire breakfast - except at the week end when I train longer and have some bacon with the breakfast. Eggs are quite possibly the best food on the planet - the list of nutrients in eggs is massive and they're all useful. As for stress - you are correct - stress increases blood sugar levels - flight/fright back to the sabre toothed tiger! Every day is a new day - keep experimenting, keep a record and listen to the results and what your body is telling you. Good luck.

S

Sean01

Sorry, but I have completely opposite advice.

Stop experimenting and keep it simple.

Stop eating all Carbs for a few weeks and get some control over your BG.

You will find it a lot less frustrating when you start to experiment with foods when your starting level is 5.4 rather than 9.4.

If you keep trying to find Carbs you can eat whilst your BG levels are too high they will take ages to normalise and your frustrations will increase.

Keep it simple.
On reflection that makes a lot of sense too. It's a bit Spartan, but as long as you have a measurable starting point and the stones to go with it, yep, I have to agree - it's a very sound way to start.