Emmerdale.... Grrrr!!

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is anybody else getting fed up with the way the soap emmerdale is trivialising diabetes with that Kerry character?? Stuffs her face with sweets, cake, chocolate, booze, etc.. but no mention of blood tests, injections, carbs, complications!! Itv need to get a grip of the want to make this programme any way relevant... oh well, rant over!

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is anybody else getting fed up with the way the soap emmerdale is trivialising diabetes with that Kerry character?? Stuffs her face with sweets, cake, chocolate, booze, etc.. but no mention of blood tests, injections, carbs, complications!! Itv need to get a grip of the want to make this programme any way relevant... oh well, rant over!
Rather like something like 50% of the t1 population...

Reactions: 7 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She did have complications, she's collapsed a few times and had a detached retina late last year and had to have an eye operation.
I'd rather it be that she can eat and drink what she likes (like T1s can) instead of making out we can't eat this and can't eat that but I strongly agree that they should show the hard work that comes with it as well.

They should show both sides if it if they're going to show any of it!

Claire x

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched a show the other day about a sponge that lives in a pineapple at the bottom of the sea. Tell me how that makes sense?

There's plenty to get offended about between the internet and what's on tv. Try not to concern yourself about it too much.

Reactions: 15 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin I cringed at your post and its patronising tone.
Not to worry, you're not the first and you won't be the last.

The fact of the matter is that the daily routine of diabetes management is boring. Consequently, it's also not marketable which is why you'll never see a well-controlled diabetic on a fictional TV show. Why do you think every reality show on tv is about some jack*** celebrity acting like a moron? Not all celebrities act that way, but people want excitement.

I hate to say it, but insulin overdoses, complications, and a diabetic stuffing his or her face full of cake is exciting. Obviously, that's real life for each of us (or at least worrying about it is), but let's not forget that we're talking about a television show which is entertainment. It may not be entertaining to us, but that's because we live with it every day....it's our reality.

So it's not an issue of being patronizing. It's an issue of not letting it affect you. Yes, it's ignorant, yes it's dumb, but so it just about everything else on TV these days.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@TorqPenderloin for a bit of context, Emmerdale is a twice weekly drama that has been shown in the UK for 44 years. I think the OP may be upset by the fact that this programme has an opportunity to reflect the reality of living with diabetes but doesn't.

From wiki: "Over the years, Emmerdale has highlighted a range of different social issues, including rape, cancer, miscarriage, dementia, homosexuality, arson, murder, HIV, sexual assault, post traumatic stress disorder, brain aneurysm, adultery, domestic violence, financial problems, embezzlement, sexual abuse, alcoholism, drug addiction, anorexia, teenage pregnancy, gambling addiction, bereavement, fraud, suicide, mesothelioma, schizophrenia, manslaughter, becoming a parent in later life, sudden infant death syndrome, self-harming, assisted suicide, epilepsy and premature births."

I suspect that when they covered these other social issues, they took expert advice. It seems it is still ok in UK dramas to misrepresent diabetes or just shoehorn it in to the plot to drive a storyline. I think it is a missed opportunity as such a drama with high viewing figures could have an influence on the public's understanding of the condition.

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That's tv for you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I haven't watched Emmerdale in years, so I can't comment on what is happening on the show. I suppose some type 1's do all those that are mentioned, but I do agree that mentioning complications, finger stabbing and injections, does go hand in hand, so why not show it ? My decades of diabetes have been somewhat entertaining, shouting or saying 'oh for flip sake' at the meter or some other chosen words, so great entertainment for TV then ;):)

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I haven't watched emmerdale in years but I do despise when tv make diabetes out to be so easy or scare the wits outta you with horrendous complications! No wonder there's little understanding of the condition. Guess its up to us non tv folk to educate!

S

Shar67

I think some maybe have missed some episodes, she was in hospital with DKA, due to not testing. Was told she would suffer severe diabetes complications if she didn't test etc.
She left her insulin and needles in harms way when she was babysitting.
Her stepdaughter was taught the make the change diet and exercise programme at school, she told the family they should all follow it, Kerry said she didn't need to as she was type 1 diabetic, but would try if it helped family.
She has retinal neuropathy (complications she was warned about) not a detached retina, She craves cake and chocolate and sneaks it so family don't know she isn't following change diet.
She is being shown as a type 1 with denial issues

vaughanie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, you are expecting a soap opera to educate people about a complex medical condition like T1 diabetes?

Really?

There are far more important issues surrounding diabetes to get worked up about than this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I watched a show the other day about a sponge that lives in a pineapple at the bottom of the sea. Tell me how that makes sense?

There's plenty to get offended about between the internet and what's on tv. Try not to concern yourself about it too much.

The show was actually a lot better when they had a "bickering" gay couple running the local bar...! ;)

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin for a bit of context, Emmerdale is a twice weekly drama that has been shown in the UK for 44 years. I think the OP may be upset by the fact that this programme has an opportunity to reflect the reality of living with diabetes but doesn't.

From wiki: "Over the years, Emmerdale has highlighted a range of different social issues, including rape, cancer, miscarriage, dementia, homosexuality, arson, murder, HIV, sexual assault, post traumatic stress disorder, brain aneurysm, adultery, domestic violence, financial problems, embezzlement, sexual abuse, alcoholism, drug addiction, anorexia, teenage pregnancy, gambling addiction, bereavement, fraud, suicide, mesothelioma, schizophrenia, manslaughter, becoming a parent in later life, sudden infant death syndrome, self-harming, assisted suicide, epilepsy and premature births."

I suspect that when they covered these other social issues, they took expert advice. It seems it is still ok in UK dramas to misrepresent diabetes or just shoehorn it in to the plot to drive a storyline. I think it is a missed opportunity as such a drama with high viewing figures could have an influence on the public's understanding of the condition.
Its on every day not just twice a week

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny enough. The T1 girl in the film "Warlock" didn't test either. Neither did they find any test strips in the murdered guys apartment in the movie "Species". They did however get it right & find insulin in his fridge..

Hansel didn't test in that unmemorable Vampire flick. But in fairness they didn't have meters in medeval times.... ;)

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Home and away did a storyline where a girl got diabetes. It showed her feeling unwell for a week before going into dka and being diagnosed. They showed her testing and had alot of focus on it for the few weeks after. Even showing her having a massive hypo.

Martinabray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I am with you ! My grandsons love Spongebob ...I really don't get it !

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Torq, how can you possibly be offended by Spongebob Square Pants! ;)

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frankly, I can't believe any of you have actually admitted to watching Emerdale!!!! :***:;)