How many times a day do you inject?

nwdesign

How many times a day do you inject and what time of the day do you do it?
What pen do you use?
What is good/bad about your experience of injecting? Could it be improved?[/b][/b][/b]
Cheers

Niall
Type 1 diabetic for 10years

Reactions: Ella Green

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i inject upto 5 times a day at meal times, no good/bad experiences, its just something we have to do :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I do it 6+ times a day as i've split my lantus.

B/fast, lunch, family dinner wth daughter at about 5 and then something light to eat with hubby later.
Nothing good about stabbing yourself, and i have no idea what would make it easier.

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
3 novo and a lantus for desert. still take the odd funny turn when I see the needle or think about it to much.
Tattooed and scared of needles.
Just got to get on with it but any improvement would be a bonus

neededthat

every time i eat usually 3 to 4 times a day oh and 1 lantus. not a big fan of needles use the smallest 5mm needles. there is a needless system called sq-pen but i put a post on here to see if anyone used it to find out if it were any good but no one replyed well got one reply but about the cost not if it was any good.

IanS

This sq-pen looks very much like a system that a consultant that I saw around 6 years ago was trialling for the injection of local anaesthetic. I have to say that apart from a a mild click there was practically nothing to feel (all the more remarkable as the injection was in a very tender spot indeed!).

When I saw him again just a couple of weeks later, he suddenly produced a standard needle and syrynge. I asked him what had happened to his other device (I didn't know what it was called). He explained that although it worked well most times, sometimes it would find a burried blood vessel and rupture it. He would then have difficulty stopping the resultant haemorrhage.

IanS

sugar2

I inject 5 or 6 times a day...split levimir and when I eat carbs.
bad experiences....
don't inject through clothes (I do for modesty, but have weened myself from soingthis because I don't like teh sight of injecting (close my eyes ate the last minute now!)
don't keep injecting in the favourite bits of you body you get lumps (lypo)
I use novopens, and find them OK, but I am still never 100% sure that I get all the dose...and I wish they did them in smaller units for if you carb:insulin ration is high.

Katharine

Steven injects 12-20 times a day. This is because he sticks to 7 units or less for each injection.

This ensures meal insulin works when it is supposed to and reduces possible long term fat/skin changes.

It seems a lot but it is a great way to get pump style control without the disadvantages of the pump. Also the jags are all small in volume so are usually painless.

jopar

I used to inject 6-9 times a day hence my one of the reasons I moved to an insulin pump..

Katherine you've left me a bit gobsmacked indeed..

I can not understand how you can say that injecting between 12-20 times a day is better than using an insulin pump..

I can't see any disadvantages with using an insulin pump at all not even wearing it..

But injecting is time consuming I found the time that I spent injecting the 6-9 times impeded on my daily routines causing major disruption...

Pumps are so flexible, and I can't see how you can mimick any of there actions with injecting... If you took a look at my basic profile there is no way that it could be mimicked with an insulin pen..

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
I'm on Hypurin Porcine Isophane for my long-acting which take in a split dose, morning and evening.
I usually take an injection of Hypurin Porcine Neutral(short acting)with breakfast but not for lunch, as I tend to have a low carb one. Another one with my evening meal. That's usually 4, and sometimes 5 injections a day.
I don't use pens, having had probs with them in the past, most recently with the Autopen Classic, which fails to deliver 1 unit, and found I was wasting so much of the vial on test-shots. Contacted manufacturer-didn't even get a reply so ditched it. I'm back to my favourite, if unfashionable BD 0.5 syringes.
I've always liked injecting with a syringe, I can see exacly what I am doing, and can trust that I'm getting the right dose.
My fear of pens stems back to when I was pregnant with my first son 19 years ago, and had a faulty novo-pen which resulted in an overdose. I phoned my diabetes consultant for advice & she phoned an ambulance for me - what service we had in those days!
Old fashioned Insulin and old fashioned syringes, but it works for me! Guess I'm just an old fashioned girl(not an old one though!) :D
I've never minded doing injections, but don't like taking tablets. Please reassure me that I'm not a wierdo for liking injections??!
Jus

Katharine

Hi Jopar,

Steven was offered a pump but didn't want it. The insertions were too painful and you could feel the canula was in. They also came out when they were not meant too. Other users warned of problems with DKA due to pump failure, abcesses and scarring. We would also have had to pay for the pump and consumables which seemed like a lot of expensive trouble.

You are right about basals. This is much more controllable with a pump. Steven is still having considerable problems with the dawn phenomenon. His current hbaic is 6.3 % which is down from the peak six months ago at 6.7%. This is still off his previous usual of the mid to high fives.

I think the pump can suit a lot of diabetics, especially if they persist with it and learn a lot. It just didn't suit Steven at all.

IanS

janabelle said:
I've never minded doing injections, but don't like taking tablets. Please reassure me that I'm not a wierdo for liking injections??!
Jus

Ok then: you are not a weirdo for liking injections.

Seriously though, they have never bothered me either. I have had far too many blood tests in my life to care. It always amuses doctors and nurses when they approach with the papier mache tray with the syringe, plaster and cotton wool ball, that I always just grab the cotton wool and hover over the injection site ready to put the cotton wool over the hole as they withdraw the needle.

Injections only give a sharp prick for the duration of the insertion. That is they usually do. I had my swine 'flu' jab a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't even feel the needle go in. I did feel the vaccine go in though.

IanS

goji

I inject a minimum of 4 times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime) but also take a few jabs with snacks I eat during the day so it can be up to 8 times a day.

I use Novorapid and Levemir in novopens.

I don't mind injecting at all - I used to get terrible bruising but for some reason that has now stopped so I can't think of any negatives.

If this is for a design project, then i would like a pen that has a memory that records when I last injected and how much I injected.

Goji

RebeccaSmith

I inject 2 or 3 times a day with humalog. Depends if I have brekkie or not :)
Rarely do corrector shots, and I inject my belly with Lantus before bed.
Total: 3/4 injections a day

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many times a day do you inject and what time of the day do you do it? I'm a four times a day person, 3 Novorapid before each main meal (7am/12pm/5:30pm) with 1 Levemir before bed.

Only thing I would recommend would be that my treatment is a wasteful, especially with the full pens being binned when finished.