Glycaemic variability. What's yours and what do you consider high?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Had quite a long discussion with the consultant this morning on the topic of Glycaemic variability (top: another item that can be used in a pump conversation).

Aside from the discussion about what causes it, his view was that my interquartile range 25th to 75th percentile range) was "quite high" and my deviation from median was extremely high given median level.

My mean was 6.5 mmol/l, median 6.0 and my Standard Deviation was 2.5mmol/l (which works out at 38% of my mean). Assuming a normal distribution (and I'm know we shouldn't) this would mean my 95th percentile range would be 1.1 to 11.9. Now I know for a fact that I haven't been that low, so we're working with a skewed distribution, but I'd be interested to know what yours is and whether your consultant thinks it's high!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cauliflower_rice

Had quite a long discussion with the consultant this morning on the topic of Glycaemic variability (top: another item that can be used in a pump conversation).

Aside from the discussion about what causes it, his view was that my interquartile range 25th to 75th percentile range) was "quite high" and my deviation from median was extremely high given median level.

My median was ~6.5 mmol/l and my Standard Deviation was 2.7mmol/l. Assuming a normal distribution (and I'm know we shouldn't) this would mean my 95th percentile range would be 1.1 to 11.9. Now I know for a fact that I haven't been that low, so we're working with a skewed distribution, but I'd be interested to know what yours is and whether your consultant thinks it's high!
hmm Im on multiple injections, does that mean such percentiles and ranges wouldn't be discussed with me? My mean average based on finger pricks is 6.5mmol/l in the last week. Last week my consultant only focused on my HbA1c of 5.7 which she advised was too low... very interesting though!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
For this clinic the data was wholly done from MDI, so it should be discussed. The consultant's line was Hba1C, whilst important, is only half the story. Variance is almost as important. (Much of the discussion at the Diabetes UK professional conference was on this topic).

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My consultant has never discussed it with me and to be honest I have never looked into it on my meter. I try to deal with spikes/lows as it happens and never looked back into my data. Statistics has never been my favourite subject:)

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to Diasend (Libre data) I was median 6.3, std dev 2.2 for last 3 months. Will see what consultant says on Fri!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Can you find it on libre?
Hiya, if you upload the data on the libre, or Diasend it kicks out a chart with it all on, it's quite interesting to look back on

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya, if you upload the data on the libre, or Diasend it kicks out a chart with it all on, it's quite interesting to look back on
Thanks. Maybe it will make me upload libre data for the very first time :)

Reactions: 3 people

Griffter15

I've just signed up to Diasend and uploaded my libre results. Average of 6.9 and standard deviation of 2.4. I don't know whether that's good or bad I guess I will need to read up on it.

I think this is a little generous to me as I don't use the libre all the time and my variability is probably worse when I don't use it. Particularly for hypos.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I've just signed up to Diasend and uploaded my libre results. Average of 6.9 and standard deviation of 2.4. I don't know whether that's good or bad I guess I will need to read up on it.

I think this is a little generous to me as I don't use the libre all the time and my variability is probably worse when I don't use it. Particularly for hypos.
My endo says to aim to get the S.D under 2, that represents good control in his opinion
My last sensor had an s.d over 12 days of 1.6 if only it were always that good

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last 3 months: Average BG 5.8, SD 1.5
Last week: Average BG 5.3, SD 1.1

Edit to add, my consultant has never asked to see my BG records - he just goes on about my cholesterol ;)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my consultants don't want to discuss anything like this, or diet, or weight, or changes in insulin totals - only re my not taking statins, and blood pressure

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just looked at my Diasend. Mine is +/- 1.5 ... what are we supposed to be aiming for? Obviously as low as possible but is there a specific target for T1s?

Also, unrelated, but does anybody know how to change the reporting date range on Diasend?

Last edited by a moderator:

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just looked at my Diasend. Mine is +/- 1.5 ... what are we supposed to be aiming for? Obviously as low as possible but is there a specific target for T1s?

Also, unrelated, but does anybody know how to change the reporting date range on Diasend?
Top left corner of the screen.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just uploaded and ran a 2 monthset of averages

median 6.5
average BG 7.1
SD = 3.4
lowest reading 1.7 and highest 24.1

on those stats I am completely out of control :eek:
but an analysis of my data shows the 2 days where i had set problems and approx 12 hours of multiple high readings have skewed the curve immensely

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My consultant's never asked about my deviation because 'your hba1c is great so you're doing really well' but I've been looking at it a lot because although my hba1c is fine I know I'm low a lot then end up spiking after.
For my last few weeks on CGM:
Average 6.2
Median 5.9
SD 2.0

But in comparison to before Xmas when I was working like crazy, had a mean of 5.7 but SD of 2.6 and was below my target range 27% of the time I think that's rather better, despite my hba1c being 'worse'.

I really think more consultants should take SD into account.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
do you know if there's any way to do it on the app?
MySugr and DiaConnect do it automatically. The Libre data also shows it on the overview screen. That's what the ambulatory profile is.

Otherwise you have to do it on a spreadsheet.