Frustrated!!!

Jimmy92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So been having a bit of a high day which sucks, but not to badly. I'd went to the gym an before hand I was at 9.8 so decent place to be for exercise was doing a muay thai class. After the first hour I tested an blood sugar had went up to 13.3
So confused because I'm tired and sweating, not a big deal though I think. Do another hour class an test again. I'm up to 15.1
So now I'm thinking what the hell!
Normal would go down cause you know logic and science an such but no. So I eat some food after class and inject the appropriate amount figuring the high will be brought down by the after effects of exercise. I get home about an hour later and I'm still hungry so test and still up at 15 eat and inject the appropriate amount again. Now I need to go to bed cause up at 6am but am having a fricking hypo!!
I'm tired and pretty upset cause I'm trying to be good and my body is just not doing what it's told.
Just wanted to vent really. If you have any suggestions or insights please let me know. If not thanks for taking the time to read this. I may go bang my head against a wall for a while now

Reactions: 2 people

fern000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That entire situation happens to me sometimes too!! Generally I think it's better not to bolus for the high BG after intense exercise because the effect of lowering BGs after exercise may set in late like a few hours later for me. Not really sure why but it's definitely not your fault!I've been told by my dietician about anaerobic exercise, which is short and intense spurts of exercise, and how it increases the BG temporarily before bringing it down again. Something you could research on? :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Jimmy - take a look through this site runsweet.com. worth having a read through as it's geared towards anyone with type 1 who exercises ;)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be that your basal wasn't working properly. Sometimes we inject into a bad site or get an immune reaction which eats up some of the insulin. Also, although exercise tends to lower your blood sugar, adrenaline can raise your blood sugar, and exercise often triggers adrenaline.

Jimmy92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting I never thought about adrenaline effecting me like that