New to insulin pump

Vick123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
My little boy is due to start on a pump very soon. I was just wondering if there was any books that I could buy that would be useful? I just want to gain as much information as possible. I've had a nosey and there is quite a few too choose from.
Thanks very much

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Vick123

Pumping Insulin - by John Walsh

is a good choice - check to make sure you are getting an up to date edition
as some peeps sell older versions on ebay and the like.

all the best !

Reactions: 2 people

pumper1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree, John Walsh Pumping Insulin is really good and easy to follow - I went on a pump 12 years ago and read that a couple of weeks before I went to get the pump and it made it all much clearer on the day I got the pump. The most important thing is that if you are patient and bear with it, the pump will make things so much easier to control - but it does take a bit of time and effort. This forum and the separate pumpers forum are great for advice f you get stuck, but if you and your son persevere you will wonder how you ever managed without it! Good luck! Tim

Reactions: 6 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Again, I agree with pumping insulin. I just read the Fifth Edition, which I think is the latest. I also highly recommend Sugar Surfing, and Think Like a Pancreas. All three have helped me immensely.

Reactions: 4 people

Vick123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for getting back. Yeah I feel like I'm going to know nothing so a head start would be great! Just brought it! Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Vick123

There's also a good book aimed at young people with diabetes called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults, the author is Ragnar Hanas.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i've not read many books, but when going on the pump think of the first few weeks as a rollercoaster ups and downs, but when you get the rates correct then all is good.

Pumping insulin i have been told to get but i'm not paying £20 for a book.

Think like a pancreas - i've read bits of it not all of it highly recommend the pump parts of this book.